Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garmin cadence question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin cadence question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 09:06 AM
taat2d

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Tiagra, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin cadence question

Hi everyone. I'm just getting back into riding. Been off a bike for too long. I just got a new road bike, and being the gadget junkie that I am, I couldn't help but get a Garmin 520 as well. I bought the 520 bundle. I hooked up the speed sensor and the cadence sensor. I see the speed sensor is working properly, but I can't find the cadence reading. Does this mean it's not working? The cadence sensor shows in the settings. Not sure if I did something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-16, 09:09 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
make sure firmware is most current.. make sure it connects (go to sensors screen)

Battery ? I assume you have the new one that goes on the crank arm..
Old 06-04-16, 09:19 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by taat2d
Hi everyone. I'm just getting back into riding. Been off a bike for too long. I just got a new road bike, and being the gadget junkie that I am, I couldn't help but get a Garmin 520 as well. I bought the 520 bundle. I hooked up the speed sensor and the cadence sensor. I see the speed sensor is working properly, but I can't find the cadence reading. Does this mean it's not working? The cadence sensor shows in the settings. Not sure if I did something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Are you sure the speed sensor is working? The 520 will record speed from GPS if it doesn't see a speed sensor. Did you go through the procedure to add a new sensor? Menu->Settings->Sensors->Add Sensor->Select Sensors to Add

It won't automatically add a new sensor. You have to go through the above steps to pair the sensor.
Old 06-04-16, 09:21 AM
taat2d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I have the one that goes on the crank arm.
Old 06-04-16, 09:24 AM
taat2d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I think that's it. I didn't know I had to pair each sensor. I thought I read that it comes with ANT in the manual and that it would pair to each other automatically. As for the speed sensor vs. Garmin's GPS recording speed, is there a difference between the 2?
Old 06-04-16, 09:41 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by taat2d
Ok I think that's it. I didn't know I had to pair each sensor. I thought I read that it comes with ANT in the manual and that it would pair to each other automatically. As for the speed sensor vs. Garmin's GPS recording speed, is there a difference between the 2?
The Edge devices still uses GPS to log position to FIT riding files. The question is how it computes instantaneous speed.

The speed sensor is a GPS-calibrated rollout speed sensor. Using GPS, and counting wheel revs over a set distance you get a very accurate traditional rollout measurement (a normal human rollout is maybe 10 meters, the Edges do rollout calibration over 500m-1km IIRC). Then using the speed sensor you get a very consistent and accurate speed measurement no matter what braking/accelerating etc you do. GPS utilizes spherical trigonometry and Einstein relativity as applied to multiple atomic clock radio signals, and due to complexities of math and measurement-has a fair bit of lag all to do the same thing. Which is not only slower, but takes more battery. Also, bicycles don't tend to hold a consistent speed-so that lag gets exacerbated a bit; unlike a car on the interstate that tends to be one speed.
Old 06-04-16, 09:57 AM
taat2d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The Edge devices still uses GPS to log position to FIT riding files. The question is how it computes instantaneous speed.

The speed sensor is a GPS-calibrated rollout speed sensor. Using GPS, and counting wheel revs over a set distance you get a very accurate traditional rollout measurement (a normal human rollout is maybe 10 meters, the Edges do rollout calibration over 500m-1km IIRC). Then using the speed sensor you get a very consistent and accurate speed measurement no matter what braking/accelerating etc you do. GPS utilizes spherical trigonometry and Einstein relativity as applied to multiple atomic clock radio signals, and due to complexities of math and measurement-has a fair bit of lag all to do the same thing. Which is not only slower, but takes more battery. Also, bicycles don't tend to hold a consistent speed-so that lag gets exacerbated a bit; unlike a car on the interstate that tends to be one speed.
Thanks for the explanation. Very much appreciated.
Old 06-04-16, 03:07 PM
netman9718

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad someone asked this question about cadence. I still have not figured out where its located or how to view it while riding with the 520. I have a duotrap for my sensor
Old 06-04-16, 03:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Three out four Garmin sensors I've purchased have needed batteries out of the box.

Won't pair, losing connection during rides, etc.
Old 06-04-16, 04:12 PM
taat2d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timothyh
three out four garmin sensors i've purchased have needed batteries out of the box.

Won't pair, losing connection during rides, etc.
that sucks!!!
Old 07-02-16, 09:39 AM
dicepilot

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been searching threads about duotrap cadence connection problems. Did you resolve your issues? I have duotrap and just added a Garmin Edge 1000. I am unable to get a cadence connection at this time. The duotrap connected seamlessly to my Strava app on the iPhone 6.