Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Air Compressor Tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Air Compressor Tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 09:39 AM
samr1953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Air Compressor Tool

Just inherited an air compressor and need an inflator accessory. Quick check on Amazon shows units ranging $15-$60. Would like built-in gauge and ability to fill both Schrader and presta valves. Any recommendations?
Old 04-25-22, 10:06 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I picked up a cheap adapter at Harbor Frt a few years back that works fine. Didn't pay much for it. Under 10 bucks.
Old 04-25-22, 01:24 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
INF-2 Shop Inflator | Park Tool

Efficient Velo Tools (EVT)

I was having a tough time getting my tires to 120 psi with a floor pump and so got a small compressor , rubber hose , & the correct fitting for each end of the hose - one end attaching to the compressor and the other to the inflator - I bought the Park INF-2 first but found it to be too heavy and difficult to maintain a seal on the Presta side - I returned the Park and got the 3in1 from EVT - very happy with it , light weight and after playing a little with the tightness of the red top ( which is the Presta side ) I was able to get a great seal and filled each tire within seconds .

Glad I got the compressor and the EVT inflator .

Last edited by blinky; 04-25-22 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For blinky:
Old 04-25-22, 02:15 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
I have a compressor, but it's kind of a pain to fire it up whenever I need air in a tire (bike or car). Instead I keep one of these tanks full: https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Pre...27491/10002/-1. Aluminum, so rust from moisture isn't an issue, and very light. I have the 5-gallon version.

The tank is only rated up to 125 psi, so maybe not an option for very high pressures. I only need to go to 70 psi. That doesn't take much volume, so one fill lasts a while.

On that I have something like this: Air Inflator

I replaced the chuck on the inflator with this head that inflates both Presta and Schraeder: SKS Multi-Valve Head

Mark

Last edited by msalvetti; 04-25-22 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 07:44 PM
samr1953

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Old 05-01-22, 11:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I bought a inflator with digital gauge and both presta and Schrader attachments from EBay for about $30or so. There's many versions, take a look, pretty much the same as the one linked above. I believe all of them at this particular price point are equivalent in quality and maybe even from the same factory. This one works great and is accurate compared to digital and analog tire gauges I have.
Old 05-02-22, 07:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
INF-2 Shop Inflator | Park Tool

Efficient Velo Tools (EVT)

I was having a tough time getting my tires to 120 psi with a floor pump and so got a small compressor , rubber hose , & the correct fitting for each end of the hose - one end attaching to the compressor and the other to the inflator - I bought the Park INF-2 first but found it to be too heavy and difficult to maintain a seal on the Presta side - I returned the Park and got the 3in1 from EVT - very happy with it , light weight and after playing a little with the tightness of the red top ( which is the Presta side ) I was able to get a great seal and filled each tire within seconds .

Glad I got the compressor and the EVT inflator .

120 psi is so 1980s. (this said with some tongue in cheek) Andy
Old 05-02-22, 07:43 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
120 psi is so 1980s. (this said with some tongue in cheek) Andy
Thanks for the compliment , I was into 10mm tires back then and can't break the habit (:-}

Last edited by blinky; 05-02-22 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For blinky: