Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do foam inserts for tires work?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do foam inserts for tires work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 09:09 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
In the spirit of "flat prevention", which I think may have been the OP's motivation for asking about tire inserts, I have a possibly interesting case report.
In Post #15 I mentioned a "significant failure" of a Schwalbe "Marathon Plus" tire. About 2 weeks prior, I had the first flat ever on one of these tires, which had been in service on Chicago streets for at least 3,000 miles. I found a solitary puncture that breached the blue gel layer and the kevlar carcass. I placed a new tube and a Mr. Tuffy tire liner, which I thought was a bit of over-kill, but not unreasonable since this is my commuter bike. About 2 weeks later, I noticed a "thumping" feeling while riding or walking the bike. I traced this to a swelling on the tread of the rear wheel. I reduced the tire pressure somewhat to get home, and changed the tire.
The bulge seemed to be in the same area as the prior penetration, which was still apparent (see image). However, on the inside of the tire there was much more extensive damage (see images). I am not sure how an object that made a simple puncture, albeit good sized, could rip the inside of the tire this way. At any rate, I think I was lucky to have the tire liner in place. I transferred it to the replacement Marathon Plus... again, probably over-kill.
Submitted for consideration!
This is a view of the bulge, seen on the way home after I lowered the pressure. The old puncture is visible.
Here's a side view of the tire bulge and the original perforation. It's interesting that the bulge is on the side, not in the center where the defect is.
Here is the hole left by the object, which I never found. It's a pretty good size, but otherwise nothing too extreme.
This is the inside of the tire. The damage extends a centimeter or so. See the next image...
Here's the damaged area everted slightly. If the tire liner had not been present, I think the tube might have herniated through this large of a hole.
good photos btw, clearly shows it

bad luck I suppose. I've had two experiences where I had a long nail and another time with a different tire, a long shiskabob type metal skewer thing go through fairly new tires (regular marathon, and a marathon supreme) but in both cases, the puncture was clean and the inner tire hole was as small as the outer hole, ie no ripping etc. Both tires went on to very very long and fruitful lives, with probably up to 10,000 kms on each.

the important thing to take from all this is that situations like yours are very rare generally.

so the person here should concentrate more on proper tire choice, proper pressures and using good judgement in riding style and how one goes over stuff at X speed.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-23-22, 01:30 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1 and I'll ask again. rbrides, what are you trying to achieve? Fewer puncture flats or protection from pinch flats or both? We're all just guessing at this point and could answer your question better knowing what you're looking for. Also, check reviews on Amazon, web bike sellers, etc., of some of the inserts available. After reading many of these I decided none were for me as they all seemed to have some drawbacks that would have been made them worse than just getting a stiffer sidewalled and more puncture resistant tread tire even if it was on the heavier, slower rolling side but still rode better than any tire with inserts.
I am trying to achieve greater knowledge about safer, more trouble-free bikepacking. I’ve not tried any inserts and am (was) curious if they provide a better, saver ride with heavier BP loads. Sure, I want to avoid any flats too, but also better handling, traction and safety with 20 lbs of gear. Some good info has been shared here and I thank you all for taking the time to contribute.

Last edited by rbrides; 04-23-22 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For rbrides:
Old 04-23-22, 01:40 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Sy, just trying to learn if there are any true advantages to using foam inserts. The overwhelming sentiment thus far is that they are not great in any particular way. I was curious if they provided better handling, traction or safety, particularly with heavier loads while backpacking.
Old 04-23-22, 03:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
Sy, just trying to learn if there are any true advantages to using foam inserts. The overwhelming sentiment thus far is that they are not great in any particular way. I was curious if they provided better handling, traction or safety, particularly with heavier loads while backpacking.
Nope. I guess you could say they're slightly safer. I'd bet more than half the elite DH and Enduro riders use them now. I install tires with them pretty regularly and they're not hard to work with. It's ALL about your technique. I also have the Cush Core lever and then works really well...not for levering the tire on but for pushing the bead away from the rim.
Old 04-23-22, 03:20 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 403 Posts
The overwhelming sentiment thus far is that they are not great in any particular way.
I sense this as well. If you have decent tires, carry the necessary tools to repair the occasional flat, and don't plan on riding in areas where road sharps are common, you should be fine.

If I were concerned about flats, I would probably install tire *liners* (eg, "Mr. Tuffy"). I have heard others comment that these cause flats independent of punctures, but this has not been my experience. I also have not noticed a difference in rolling resistance, though I would accept some slight increase in exchange for a decreased chance of a puncture.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-23-22, 05:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
I certainly dont have any foam insert experience, but I do have a lot of road and a reasonable amount of offroad experience carrying stuff, but 20lbs of stuff isnt that much, and really, good tires with reasonable pressures and being careful riding, things will be fine......but----some people cut sidewalls a lot, and some people ride over all kinds of crap without any awareness of what they are doing--so really, so much of it depends on how you ride.

I am hoping to do a bikepacking trip this year in an area where it will be somewhat remote, and all the stuff I've written down is pretty much what I'll be keeping in mind--specifically, being careful, watching and feeling what tire pressures are good, and being conservative when there is chunky, sharp stuff--ie, getting off and walking for a bit rather than risking cutting a tire (touch wood, touch wood)
Likes For djb: