Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you could only have 3 bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you could only have 3 bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 07:49 AM
JeffAbe

Bikes: Salsa: Mukluk, Beargrease, Warbird, Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have three Salsa bikes. 1) Beargrease for snow and mtb duties 2) Fargo for bikepacking/deep loose gravel 3) Warbird gravel/road. I want to get a singlespeed Stormchaser for nasty wet mud/sand. I probably don't need or deserve all these bikes as I am not a hardcore rider but I do try to ride 4 to 5 days a week in spring through fall and indoor trainer 3 days a week in winter with one day outside in snow.
Old 03-18-20, 09:00 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
The three that I have: a fair-weather carbon racing bike (Ciocc Exige), a foul-weather and around-town bike (Black Mountain Cycles Road), and a 90s steel road bike I keep at my mom's house to ride on the afternoons when I visit her after work (Colnago Tecnos).
I've got the itch for a new bike project, but just can't justify it. The Ciocc is 12 years old though, and that's getting up there for carbon, isn't it? ...
Old 03-18-20, 09:01 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
How about if you could only have four?
Old 03-18-20, 12:01 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
1) gravel or endurance road bike (reasonably fast and comfortable on road and able to tackle some gravel if needed), carbon would be nice.
2) hardtail XC 29er, most probably aluminium.
3) single speed commuter bike, built around a quality steel frame.
Old 03-18-20, 05:28 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 144 Posts
What I have now NOT hanging from the garage ceiling.

1. My vintage 83 Team Fuji, because having a vintage bike you bought new is cool.
2. My much upgraded 2015 Ridley Fenix, because it just works for me.
3. My 2019 Marin Nail Trail mtb I bought 5 mos ago, because the newness hasn't worn off yet.

​​​​​​

​​​​
Old 03-19-20, 06:38 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I've generally only had 2 bikes for many years:

1. A 1996 Trek 520 touring/road bike that I would use for all road riding and once or twice a year on multi-day touring.
2. A beater bike, for a long time a 1992 Schwinn hybrid, that I would use on unpaved rail trails, or what today is called gravel riding.

In 2017, I made myself a deal: lose 20 lbs and go up to 3 bikes. I did and I added a Trek Domane SL6 as my road bike.

I also started using Zwift and between tours put the 520 on the indoor trainer.

This year I decided 28 years of the Schwinn hybrid was a good run, donated that bike to a bike coop - and bought a Jamis Renegade as a combination non-paved road and touring bike. The Trek 520 is pretty much a full time Zwift bike, can pull it off if I'm going to do loaded, hilly touring.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 03-19-20, 11:06 AM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My ccurrent three are

I got into riding for fitness almost 2 years ago at 56. I bought a Trek Verve hybrid and road it on the paved trails were I live. I soon discovered the single track and added a Fuji Reveal 27.5 with dual suspension. Last fall I added a Trek Stach 29+ hardtail. I read all three depending on weather and who I'm riding with. By summer I plan on getting a gravel bike to use on the paved and gravel roads. If I would have to part with one in order to get this new bike i would probably get rid of the Hybrid.

In this three bike rule do I have to claim the tandem?
Old 03-19-20, 02:19 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by kq2dc7
I got into riding for fitness almost 2 years ago at 56. I bought a Trek Verve hybrid and road it on the paved trails were I live. I soon discovered the single track and added a Fuji Reveal 27.5 with dual suspension. Last fall I added a Trek Stach 29+ hardtail. I read all three depending on weather and who I'm riding with. By summer I plan on getting a gravel bike to use on the paved and gravel roads. If I would have to part with one in order to get this new bike i would probably get rid of the Hybrid.

Nope, tandem doesn't count 😁
Old 03-19-20, 02:47 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I think I'd be OK with two bikes
  1. Hardtail MTB Fork lockout would be a must
  2. Gravel bike I can put slicks on or an Endurance bike that can run up to a 35c
Old 03-19-20, 03:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 987 Posts
This sort of sounds like a bicycle bucket list. What I would need is a really comfortable road bike. I already have 3. I would love to have a versatile bike that can work as a commuter and handle gravel roads and even light off road. My touring bike can do all that very well. I still like to mountain bike but I would like to have a bike suited to soft snow conditions, not there yet. So, I have 2 out of 3 of the bikes needed to get down to that 32(3) bike level. Just have to keep looking for those unicorns
Old 03-19-20, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,070 Times in 2,714 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
pic!
I recognize that this photo is incorrect as it is not in the proper chainring and the cables are uncut and the valves were not properly lined up (though that is for good reason) but it is an accurate representation of the bike which is now completed (though I do need a different color cambium saddle to match better)

I may have @sjn1892 do some pantograph work on the cranks and maybe other parts but I am holding off on that for now because I really don't need it.

Here is all the info on the bike:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/phil-...oad-bike-39413

Last edited by veganbikes; 03-19-20 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-19-20, 04:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 824 Posts
I have eight bikes, including a new, never built Soma Smoothie frame and CF fork. I have all the components to do the build. Three is the number I would like to reduce to. The Soma is one that I would keep for at least through this year. I know I would have to include, as a keeper, my Airborne Zeppelin titanium. It is, by a good bit, the lightest and fastest bike I own. It is also very comfortable on long rides. Fast and comfortable for the long haul is hard to beat. This is where I would have a problem choosing what goes and what stays. I have a Fuji Ace, frame and fork were given to me, with cheap wheels and Sora components and a FSA triple crankset. It is a really nice riding bike, but it is very heavy. Even more so with the rear rack, bags, frame pump and fenders. The bike would probably be the first to go, just the complete bike but none of the accessories.The next to go would be my Lemond Poprad, I really love the bike, has a wonderful ride, very versatile and light for a steel CX bike. It is a bit too big for me and I have not been riding it much. I think would probably let go of my early 90's Ochsner that I have owned since it was new. Last year it became the first bike I had ever stripped down to bare metal, had it powder coated, and rebuilt it with a combo of original and new components. It is also a bit large for me, but having owned it for 28 years, it is by far, the bike that I have put the most miles on in my life.

I think next to go would be an Orbea Avant. It is my only full carbon frame/fork. I have never been all that crazy about riding it. However, lately I have been tweaking the fit and changing the tires, and I like it more than I used to. I still do not like the noise that comes from it. It is like the frame reverberates all the noises and vibrations throughout the bike. Some of that noise is from the internal cable routing. The bike I have been riding the most recently, another keep, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet that I purchased last fall. It was in rough shape when I bought it. The components are the originals that I could salvage, acquired used in very good shape, and a few new items. This is one of the best riding, most comfortable bikes I have ever owned.

That puts me at 3 keepers and 4 to move on. I still have my Schwinn SS DBX that I bought new in 2006. It is my only aluminum bike. For me, this is the ultimate do it all bike. A sturdy, but not too heavy frame, mechanical disc brakes, rack braze-ons front and back, CF fork, and it fits at least 38mm tires. The Jalco rims and hubs are bombproof. They still spin great and run true. I trued them last year, but, it took very little adjustment for that. I have no worries about scratches or chips, no desire to "upgrade" anything, maintenance is minimal and it rides really well and makes for a great "doing chores and errands" bike. Also can be used for lite trail, unpaved MUP riding. It also has a very low sale value. So, I guess I will have to compromise and keep 4 bikes.

These selections can, and probably will, change numerous times before I get to the point of actually engaging in the action of reducing the number of wheels. Whether that happens, or not, is not high on my priority list. None of my bikes have a big dollar value, they are all in good shape and really do not need anything. My bike world priority is to make no more acquisitions and reduce the amount of dollars I spend on bicycle stuff. I find that has become not as easy as it should be.
Old 03-19-20, 04:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Originally Posted by kq2dc7
Originally Posted by stevel610
Nope, tandem doesn't count 😁
Tandem counts for half for driver, half for stoker.
Old 03-19-20, 04:49 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
A FAT bike.
A regular mountain bike.
Another mountain bike set up to carry things.

In the future, I plan to get an electric bike too.
Old 03-21-20, 03:44 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
My first and primary bike that I would have is my 2013 Lynskey Peloton, this is the finest riding bike I've ever owned or been on.

The second one would be my new Masi Giramondo 700, while not as well dialed in yet as the Lynskey is, but over time this should change, I haven't taken it on a tour yet but I have rode it some distance to see how it is, and it seems fine, but it wasn't loaded, once it's loaded the ride should smooth out a lot.

The third one would be my 85 Fuji Club, this one is a great riding bike, it was lightweight for its day, the only sore spot is the Suntour ARX derailleurs don't have the positive fast shifting that a bike I had that had the Superbe components, so at some point I may put my Superbe stuff I have in storage on the Fuji, but I don't ride it much so not sure when I'll get around to doing that.
Old 03-22-20, 02:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 2,076 Times in 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
How about if you could only have four?
That's another thread. Please start it, because this one has caused me to come up with so many things I can't cover with three. Also, five would be a good thread.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-22-20, 07:04 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
My first and primary bike that I would have is my 2013 Lynskey Peloton, this is the finest riding bike I've ever owned or been on.

The second one would be my new Masi Giramondo 700, while not as well dialed in yet as the Lynskey is, but over time this should change, I haven't taken it on a tour yet but I have rode it some distance to see how it is, and it seems fine, but it wasn't loaded, once it's loaded the ride should smooth out a lot.

The third one would be my 85 Fuji Club, this one is a great riding bike, it was lightweight for its day, the only sore spot is the Suntour ARX derailleurs don't have the positive fast shifting that a bike I had that had the Superbe components, so at some point I may put my Superbe stuff I have in storage on the Fuji, but I don't ride it much so not sure when I'll get around to doing that.
I really like that Masi Giramondo 700. I wrote them to see if I could get one in the Camp Cup Blue that the 650B comes in.

Last edited by ups; 03-22-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 08:15 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
a compromise?

I'm actually working on downsizing to 3. But that is 3 modern and 3 vintage. Trying to cover the three major uses - Sport- gravel and road touring, and still covering the three bases of steel, AL and carbon. I can't do real off-road riding anymore so no MTB. Vintage steel I covered with an Ultegra upgraded '84 Centurion Ironman and a modern steel gravel bike KHS 223 with 3x8 and 35c tires. Vintage road AL is a USA built 80's Raleigh Technium and modern AL roadie is a Specialized Dolce Elite. (New ) modern is a HydroDisc brake full 105 2019 Canyon. Have a vintage AL lugged carbon '95 Giant but no modern carbon. That leaves me three other to get rid off. Unless I give in to a Ti bike (all-rounder or sport?) but that would then put me at 7. OK, so I'm bad at math.
Old 03-23-20, 02:02 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
In order or preference/priority. If I could only have one it would be the Wabi.

1) My 2016 Wabi Special fixed gear bike - it does it all
2) My 1989 Nishiki Ariel "Cunningham Design" mountain bike - bullet proof and steel.
3) My 1987-ish Pinarello Montello - light, quick and classy
Old 03-23-20, 02:27 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I'm close to playing this game for real right now after finding myself up to 10 bikes which took over my work space last year.

The three bikes I would keep if I could only have 3.
2013 Salsa Fargo, long gravel rides and bike packing. The one bike.
Salsa Timberjack, mountain bike, short gravel rides (<35 mi), winter commuter.
2014 Felt New Belgium Brewery cruiser, because I like to cruise.

Bikes I am keeping but dont really have to.
1959 Magneet with new one speed drive train and wheel set, flipped north roads. It is my tribute to a path racer and needs a new fork. Lugs are sexy. Project bike.
2009 New belgium Brewery cruiser. going up on the wall, if it is hung as art does it really count?
Swobo steel city bike, 8 speedIGH, disk brakes, dynohub. Not sexy or fun but it does its job well (5 miles a day). I could get down to 4 bikes if I could keep this one also.

Bikes that have left in the last year,mostly to my kids.

Framed 1.0 fat bike, love to ride it but the snow is never consistent enough in town and I hate to drive some place to ride my bike for a few hours.
single speed no suspension mountain bike, fun but not as much fun as the Timberjack
2013 new belgium cruiser, same frame as the 2014.
2016 3 speed detroit bikes new belgium cruiser, was going to be a commuter but I just never really cared for it as a daily ride. Also, at 4 NBB bikes you either finish the collection or pick two you like and let the obsession go.
Old 03-25-20, 11:07 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 266 Posts
I guess I’m lucky the number is 3 as that’s what I have. My rocket ship is a Specialized Transition TT with Zipp 404’s with Vittoria Corsa Evo tubulars. My all around bike would be my Cannondale Synapse 6 Carbon with Mavic Cosmic Carbones and Gatorskins while my lousy weather/terrain bike is a Ridley X-Fire with Reynolds wheels and Clements clinchers. The gf is also a bike nut with 3 of her own very similar to mine so nobody in this house is worried about bike totals.
Old 06-05-20, 02:11 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 134 Posts
Mine is pretty easy - I'd upgrade my road bike though.

1. Road bike - currently '03 Specialized Allez (I think on year) - I'd really like to replace this with an Altruiste LeCorbo in a perfect world.
2. Commuter - old Bianchi road bike converted to Sturmey-Archer 3sp - might switch to 5sp soon.
3. BMX Race bike

Numbers 4 & 5 are my BMX race cruiser (24"), and my winter commuter, a Giant Innova that's currently wearing drop bars, but with the cantilevers has lots of space for my studded tires and fenders, but I could probably live without those if I had to.

Specialized Allez. Need a longer stem, just threw one whatever I could find.

The yellow thing kind of happened by accident - next tape job is likely yellow as well.

'Mid-school' FMF race bike, Pro XXXL size.
Likes For Viich:
Old 06-05-20, 05:27 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I have a Serotta Colorado with Campy Chorus circa 2010. Other than bar tape it’s completely original. It gets heavy use. Daily basically.

My second is a 90s Colnago Master with Campy Chorus that is wall art but I do ride it. I bought it used with 1000 miles on it.

If I could have a third it would be a custom Parlee in carbon with Campy Super Record.
Old 06-06-20, 04:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 532 Posts
Centurion Pro-Tour or Fuji Stratos, probably swap the flat bars from the Fuji to the Centurion and keep the centurion.
Giant Revel
Either a klunker 2 speed Bridgestone or a single speed coaster brake 29r
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 06-06-20, 06:06 AM
Lilly18

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
okay, why do we need 3? Each member of my family has her/his own.
Likes For Lilly18:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.