Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Entry/Mid-level Bike Computer - help me decide

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 10:11 AM
Koobazaur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride my Escape 2.0 Hybrid and its about time to get a bike comp! Now I don't care (yet) about super fancy features like heart rate monitors or extraterrestial life detectors, and just want some basic and mid-range stuff, mainly:

* Standard stuff like Travel distance, speed, average speed, max speed, odometer (same as RPM?). And accuracy (should that even be a concern, tho?)
* Automatic stop/start cause I hit a lot of red lights
* Optional-but-Desired: Separating between "current trip" and "total" for the above values would be nice
* Optional-but-Desired: Current Temperature and Time
* BONUS: Current incline grade (that is not GPS-tracked but just a gyro type thing) - I haven't seen any lower-end comps have that, tho, so I doubt ill get it.

Now I DONT want:
* Calories Burn (grossly inaccurate and I dont need to shed pounds)
* HR monitor (dont want anything strapping to my chest, and not that OCD about my "zones")
* GPS (I usually look up my routes pre/post the ride, and it just adds a lot of extra cost)
* Wireless is unneeded, I had wired one and it didnt bother me and is significantly cheaper.

What I am considering and would appreciate your feedback:
* Cadence - how exactly is it measured and how "useful" would it be for me? Is it effectively just RPM? I am not a training/pro/race cyclist, so I don't think I'd care for it.
* Hooking up to my PC / Bluetooth - I guess I could use that to export my times and averages? But since I don't care for GPS tracking I dont see much value in this. Am I wrong?

I use to have this bike comp way way back, which is a surprisingly cheap comp that comes with almost all of my desired functionality. However I figured I might invest in something a wee bit more advanced to see if I care for the extra features (cadence, trip vs. total, temperate etc.)

So far I researched SIGMA and really liked Sigma BC 1609 as it comes with cadence and temp monitors. How is the CADENCE variation of that model? I dont care for the STS one since, as I said, is wireless. The lower models seemed a little lacking in features, and the higher ones had too much stuff I didnt need not warranting the price hike.

What about other companies like Cateye CC-VL810 or Ventura IV? I haven't really researched them as much as Sigma so don't know what the "equivalent" models are, and how they might suit my needs.

Thanks for advice!

Last edited by Koobazaur; 07-06-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 10:17 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12193 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Planet Bike 5.0
Old 07-06-12, 10:25 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I run two Cateye computers. I find them to be just enough to meet my needs being easy to use, easy to install, sturdy.

Mine.....
https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-VL51...+bike+computer

One you're looking at......( I think you'll like it a bunch !! )
https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-VL81...-2147483553-20

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-06-12, 11:32 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Cadence is nice to have. Check out the Sette branded Pricepoint options. They are bang for buck.
Old 07-06-12, 10:08 PM
ctimrun2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't skimp on the alien detector. They will ride right up behind you...and we all know what happens next...
Old 07-06-12, 10:28 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ctimrun2012
Don't skimp on the alien detector. They will ride right up behind you...and we all know what happens next...
Gang probed?

I like cateyes. The enduros are tough and accurate. The mity 8s are cheaper, but good too.
Old 07-07-12, 02:06 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cadence is probably not going to benefit you much in stop and go traffic. I think its meant more for longer trips to help regulate energy spent so you can pace yourself, atleast thats how I use it. plus I think (could be wrong) that cadence computers are wireless.

Id suggest buying any old bike comp as they all are going to display, time, distance, and speed.

with that all said, I have a vetta vl100 on one bike and a cateye strata double on another(both w/cadence). I like them both but the vetta is slightly nicer imo
Old 07-07-12, 02:09 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd get a wired blackburn computer that has all the functions you need. I've been very happy with mine which had cadence. However on my road bike at the moment I have a cheap wired ADO computer which has served very well through all types of weather and does speed and distance etc. which is all I really need.

Daven
Old 07-07-12, 04:13 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I just realized we are all numbskulls. If you don't care about cadence and HR, just get one of the many apps for your phone (Strava, My Tracks etc., try a few and see which work best for you) and one of those brackets to hold your phone on bar or stem. No expense except the bracket and you are good to go with all sorts of cool metrics you can upload to your computer and futz over.
Old 07-07-12, 09:32 PM
TrekmanDan

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get the Planet Bike 9.0. It pretty much has everything you need and it's affordable priced. One of the reasons why I like it is because it has a lot of information on one screen, so you don't have to keep toggling to see what you want...

https://www.rei.com/product/786490/pl...-bike-computer
Old 07-08-12, 03:07 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan
Get the Planet Bike 9.0. It pretty much has everything you need and it's affordable priced. One of the reasons why I like it is because it has a lot of information on one screen, so you don't have to keep toggling to see what you want...

https://www.rei.com/product/786490/pl...-bike-computer
Same with the blackburn - lots of information on one screen. It is nice, however when I'm riding I only really care about speed, as I know the distance (I commute).