Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

What does a velodrome cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 04:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
IMO, if somebody is going to go through the trouble, spring for a 250m track. It will be much easier to attract state and even national events if you don't have an oddball size.
+1

I have been saying this for years.
Old 10-15-14, 04:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There is an effort to get a velodrome built here in Sacramento. A nonprofit has been formed, the land has been set aside, and fundraising efforts have been ongoing. The number I keep hearing is $3M. Chump change compared to the arena they're building for the Kings or the soccer stadium that will be built if Sac gets a MLS entry.
Old 10-15-14, 04:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There is an effort to get a velodrome built here in Sacramento. A nonprofit has been formed, the land has been set aside, and fundraising efforts have been ongoing. The number I keep hearing is $3M. Chump change compared to the arena they're building for the Kings or the soccer stadium that will be built if Sac gets a MLS entry.
True, but the million -- er -- 3 million dollar question is: How long before it pays for itself? and How much money can it make afterwards?

It could cost $100,000 but if it doesn't bring in money via fans or whatnot, then it's a lost cause. $100-200 annual membership dues won't cut it. You need butts in the seats!

Until the next rise of Track Cycling being a huge sport in the US, I think a world-class velodrome would at least have to be in a multi-use faclility to be profitable.
Old 10-15-14, 06:51 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our new track in Milton has a $70mil price tag. I dont think there is any plan to get that money back ever directly, its more of an investment in the community, sport, etc. If it wasn't for the pan am games it wouldn't be happening.

Lets not forget the running costs. Our track in London claims around $9k/month in bills (indoor 140m) and its volunteer run and not very warm in the winter (granted its not -20 like it is outside).

Of course an outdoor track on donated land or an abandoned parking lot can be done for much cheaper.
Old 10-16-14, 06:27 PM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a lot of velodromes in Europe are rented for shows and whatnot
also the inner area sometimes have soccer/volley/gymnastics fields

all of these can help to make the track viable, the income doesn't have to come from track cycling (mainly).