Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Video group 'test' of a Brompton, Strida & Swiss Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 03:55 PM
joose
pooh bear

Bikes: Dahon D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A 'review' of the Brompton, Strida and Swiss Bike..

Shown on one of the main TV channels in the UK today.

https://fwd.five.tv/videos/jon-test-folding-bikes

Discuss

..light the touch paper and step away..
Old 11-03-08, 05:05 PM
StuAff

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they were actually very fair in the remarks they made. Problem was with three very different bikes, they were not really comparable. Brompton kind of wins by default, at least for a commute. And they did like the Swissbike too.....
Now if they had a Mu P8, say.....

Last edited by StuAff; 11-04-08 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-08, 09:05 PM
caotropheus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If my bike commute is not in an urban environment or in a multi-modal environment, I would prefer the Swissbike. Personally I could not adapt to the riding position of the Strida. I think this small review was biased and aiming to promote the Brompton brand.

Last edited by caotropheus; 11-06-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 02:51 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caotropheus
I think this small review was biased and aiming to promote the Brompton brand.
That's a ridiculous remark. They gave clear and understandable reasons for what they said. You just don't like their conclusions that's all.
Old 11-04-08, 03:32 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I watched the programme with interest. As others have said the bikes on test were very different from each other. By rights the Brompton should have been pitted against a BF tikit and Dahon curve for example. While they should have compared the Swiss bike to the likes of a Dahon Cadenza / flo, Airnimal Rhino or BF Pocket Llama ect.
I guess it is just that we know what is available out there where as the general public do not..... at least it gave a positive approach to the advantages of folding bikes.
Old 11-04-08, 04:44 AM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I thought it was a bit harsh on the Strida, when the same show liked the Strida in last test eg ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVVgsQt1DK4

(with the A-Bike, but over 10 miles / 16Km in the city).
Old 11-04-08, 05:26 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simple Simon
I thought it was a bit harsh on the Strida, when the same show liked the Strida in last test eg ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVVgsQt1DK4

(with the A-Bike, but over 10 miles / 16Km in the city).
They asked the Olympic Champion pursuit rider what she thought and she replied. If the bike suits other people that's fine. It didn't suit her, but both the other bikes did. My own take on this is that her willingness to enjoy the other two and her loathing of the Strida, says a lot, but I recognise that it doesn't matter at all what I think. People must decide for themselves.
Old 11-04-08, 05:35 AM
Carlos71

Bikes: Strida 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, they rolled the folded Strida BACKWARDS.
Old 11-04-08, 05:40 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think this was great fun and good publicity for the folding movement...
Old 11-04-08, 05:49 AM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
They asked the Olympic Champion pursuit rider what she thought and she replied. If the bike suits other people that's fine. It didn't suit her, but both the other bikes did. My own take on this is that her willingness to enjoy the other two and her loathing of the Strida, says a lot, but I recognise that it doesn't matter at all what I think. People must decide for themselves.
I agree, and yes its good to get folding bikes recognised as available alternatives.
Old 11-04-08, 05:52 AM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good publicity for the folding movement, maybe not Strida though..
Old 11-04-08, 11:39 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joose

Good publicity for the folding movement, maybe not Strida though..
That's no surprise to me. The strida is about the last bike I would give house room too and I'll take in most waifs and strays with two wheels as my untidy garage and bike filled shed will testify. My dad bought one of the very first stridas when he retired and took it back for a refund within a fortnight. I rode it down the street and found it hideous, to be quite frank. I'm sure some people love them though, and if they suit circus performers and stunt men, that's fine with me. One of the worst features I think is that the taller a person is, the further forward they must sit to get proper leg extension. Smaller people have to sit further back so that they are stretched out trying to reach the bars. I acknowledge that it might work for some people in the middle height range somewhere, but that just has to be wrong.
Old 11-04-08, 12:42 PM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I acknowledge that it might work for some people in the middle height range somewhere, but that just has to be wrong.

I'm 5'10. What is your father's height? (As I'm thinking of saving for one)
Old 11-04-08, 12:52 PM
somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you try one joose? I am 5'10" too. The strida gave a relaxed comfortable position. (One uncomfy thing was the tube between legs). But strida riding to me is soo different from other bikes, I personally would not even call it bike riding.
Old 11-04-08, 01:03 PM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No not tried one yet. There is no bike shop anywhere near me that sells them. I think there is a shop in New Castle that sells them and when I next visit there I will give one a try.

5'10 also.. mmm I'm not going to ask a lady her weight but in your opinion, would I be comfortable on one being 14 stones? (Which I think is 88.9kg). I would be on a sprung Brooks.
Old 11-04-08, 01:31 PM
somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are comfortable on - say a Holland bike - very upright with a short reach to the bars, and use big apples with the strida, why not. But really before book yourself on it, I would say try it - to try is for the strida probably more important than for other, more adaptable folders.
thats a matter of taste: I liked the ride, it was hilarious and I would have loved to pursue myself to buy it, as I like the looks much...but I could not see myself riding it for "serious" reasons. For example the little Carryme feels much more like a "real bike" to me.
Old 11-04-08, 01:34 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No not tried one yet. There is no bike shop anywhere near me that sells them. I think there is a shop in New Castle that sells them and when I next visit there I will give one a try.

5'10 also.. mmm I'm not going to ask a lady her weight but in your opinion, would I be comfortable on one being 14 stones? (Which I think is 88.9kg). I would be on a sprung Brooks.
You should try one yourself I think rather than going from other people's experience. Some people really like them and others hate them.... Maybe they are like Marmite (I see you are a brit so will get that joke). Ordinarily I think we can take note of other people's views on what a bike is like, but the strida is a very different kind of bike than most of us are used to. I think it is less like an ordinary bike in the way it rides than most other folders are.

EDIT:

You have to dismount to the rear for a start, which is very unusual.

Last edited by EvilV; 11-04-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 04:12 PM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are comfortable on - say a Holland bike - very upright with a short reach to the bars, and use big apples with the strida, why not. But really before book yourself on it, I would say try it - to try is for the strida probably more important than for other, more adaptable folders.
thats a matter of taste

Holland bike style is more to my taste than most. Your right that I need to test it before buying. To be honest, it will take me a very long time to save for it so I will have many chances to try it, I'm in Germany for the New Year as usual so may even try it over there

You should try one yourself I think rather than going from other people's experience.

Again, totally true. I'm I right in saying then that Newcastle has a bike shop that sells them? I'm sure I saw it on the Strida website.

Ps, I hate Marmite. Yuck! lol
Old 11-04-08, 04:38 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats a matter of taste

Holland bike style is more to my taste than most. Your right that I need to test it before buying. To be honest, it will take me a very long time to save for it so I will have many chances to try it, I'm in Germany for the New Year as usual so may even try it over there

You should try one yourself I think rather than going from other people's experience.

Again, totally true. I'm I right in saying then that Newcastle has a bike shop that sells them? I'm sure I saw it on the Strida website.

Ps, I hate Marmite. Yuck! lol
LOL - I like it (marmite).

Do you mean Newcastle upon Tyne, or Newcastle under Lyme? I thought living in Derbyshire you might be referring to the latter. Anyway - I'm not aware of any shop around here that sells them. Even Brompton can only be bought from a place ten miles away from here.

Just looked it up - you're right. Here are the details ->

EthicalSuperstore.Com Ltd
16 Princes Park,
Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead,Tyne and Wear,NE11 0NF

www.ethicalsuperstore.com

Telephone:
0845 009 9016
Email:
enquries@ethicalsuperstore.com

I would try out the Dahon Curve D3 if I was you. There are some hellish good deals on ebay.co.uk at the price point of about £275 for the 2007 model. It can be had from Winstanley's for £245 if your sexual identity is well enough established to feel happy with a pink one.

I'm quite attracted to the Curve D3. I bet it will ride better than the Strida.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAHON-CURVE-D3...|39:1|240:1308
Old 11-04-08, 04:48 PM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant Tyne, not Lyme. Lymes a dump lol (well the bits I've passed through)

EEK, Gateshead side! Lol, just joking. Will have to Sat Nav it when I'm up next.

Curve D3 (08) is the bike I already have! lol It rides good, but after 7 miles I ache on it (my full trip 1 way is 9 miles). I think the bikes fine, my body shape is odd lol

Not so good on the train though. (I bike/catch train to work and back depending on weather) Mine are always standing room only. Even when folded, Curve is a large package in that situation. Strida would fit well above on the bag racks, hence the reason I'm attracted to it.

Having said that, you always get the bike Nazi's (the Tour de Commute types) bringing their full size bikes on board, smashing people up with them and then getting pissed off with everybody... buts that another rant for another day
Old 11-04-08, 05:10 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's no surprise to me. The strida is about the last bike I would give house room too and I'll take in most waifs and strays with two wheels as my untidy garage and bike filled shed will testify.
Ah, but you did let a lovely one get away - to the Colonies, no less.

I love my Strida - for its intended purpose. It is not an all-around bike or a long distance ride. It is an elegant solution for a public transportation commuter who has a short ride at the end of the bus or train ride. I marvel at the simplicity and elegance of its design.

It's also definitely not for introverts.
Old 11-04-08, 06:28 PM
chainstrainer
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...the strida is a very different kind of bike than most of us are used to...
You have to dismount to the rear for a start, which is very unusual.
What? You mean it's usual to hoist my leg to the front over the handlebars to dismount? I had no idea that getting off a bike toward the rear was considered very unusual.
Old 11-04-08, 07:50 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's no surprise to me. The strida is about the last bike I would give house room to
I second that - the interface between grey plastic and metal has always put me in mind of these:

Mmm NHS crutches. Bevan's best.

Old 11-04-08, 09:08 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Strida would fit well above on the bag racks, hence the reason I'm attracted to it.
If you are a multi-mode commuter using train, trolley, lightrail and in particular the bus, the Strida is often the best choice during rush hour. I've been in many commuter buses where the overhead rack is too small for a Brompton and would only fit a thin package like the Strida. In many cases you'll find that if your bike cannot fit in the overhead rack, you'll have to stand each day on the train or bus because you cannot take two seats. Not desirable at all.

Overall, I think the view of the Strida was too harsh. The Strida is similar to the Pedersen bicycle where the weight is too much on the rear creating front stearing that feels unstable. However, you get used to it and soon becomes "normal" after a while. The test ride was too short to give a fair opinion.
Old 11-04-08, 09:19 PM
Amuro Lee

Bikes: A-bike, Strida & ,etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
I second that - the interface between grey plastic and metal has always put me in mind of these:

Mmm NHS crutches. Bevan's best.

Oh no! I'm an owner of a Sliver Strida 3.2
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=380848

However, the grey plastic parts have been changed to black since version 5.0
Perhaps Ming Cycle (the Strida manufacturer) also had this in mind when they decided to change the colour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.