Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Marathon Plus on a Dahon Curve

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 03:45 AM
semaler

Bikes: Just 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After 2 years I am a quite happy Curve D3 owner but I think I'm getting flat tires too often (and replacing the rear tube is so annoying...). I'm still using the original Big Apple tires and the rear one is already a bit wored so I'm thinking on replacing them with Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I know those tires would not be as comfortable as the Big Apples but I wondered if anyone did this before and how it went. Other comments regarding Marathon Plus will be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-09, 06:57 AM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
used them on all my town bikes, never had a flat EVER
not the fastest, not the comfyest, but you near never get flats...
the reflective side is nice too
Old 04-19-09, 05:58 PM
BB49
hubgears

Bikes: Dahon Curve SL, 2008 with Nexus Premium 8 hub, and many modifications.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Marathon Plus on one bike. They are more comfy than the Marathon Racer. They seem very tough.
They are heavy, I noticed the gain in weight.
Old 04-19-09, 07:47 PM
4cmd3

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ditto... heavier compared to most tires, though the different between Big Apples is not as great as with other lighter tires. Never never had a flat with them, and I have put way more miles on these that I have with Marathon Slick or Stelvio - which flatted on semi-regular basis. Once you hold them in your hands, you realize that they are virtually bombproof... you can practically leave your pump/patches at home.
Old 04-19-09, 08:05 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm surprised you've been getting flats with your Big Apples. I was going to start a thread singing their praises - almost two years, over 1500 miles on original tires, not one flat. They roll so well without pressure I probably wouldn't notice anyway.
Old 04-19-09, 08:18 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
I'm surprised you've been getting flats with your Big Apples. I was going to start a thread singing their praises - almost two years, over 1500 miles on original tires, not one flat. They roll so well without pressure I probably wouldn't notice anyway.
+1 -- My Big Apples have been going strong for the past five months of commuting without a single flat. I have Marathon Plus tires on a different bike, and the Big Apples seem like a much more comfy ride. Although, the Big Apples are on a 20" wheel and the Marathons are on a 700c wheel, so it's far from a direct comparison.
Old 04-20-09, 03:12 AM
semaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

My commuting is to downtown Barcelona from a nearby town and back (it also involves train) and most of my flats are caused by small fragments of glass. I've had about 12 flats in the last 2 years. Once I had 3 in a row from my home to the train station until I found out I was riding too close to a glass recycling bin! I usually pump my Big Apples to 3.5 bar (I think that's the equivalent to 50 psi).

I think my next tires will definitely be Marathon Plus!
Old 04-20-09, 07:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
I never ran them on my folder, but had them on my touring bike for a while. I took them off with only a few hundred miles on them. The Pluses weigh a ton and the ride is lousy. I don't recommend them for anything except maybe commuting on very hostile road conditions.
Old 04-20-09, 07:25 AM
maranen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about fitting tyre liners? Big Apples are much more comfortable than M Plus - I guess you can't get M Plus 47mm wide in 16" size. My 20" Jetstream XP has M Plus 47mm in the rear and M Racer+tyre liner in the front. 47mm M Plus feels quite comfortable compared to the Racer which was in the rear before.
Old 04-21-09, 02:06 AM
semaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maranen, thanks for the tip, I might try that before changing to MP!
Old 04-21-09, 04:08 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Tyre liners are a waste of time and labour. Don't bother with them. If you need flat protection either go all out with a crappy riding marathon plus or you don't.
Old 04-21-09, 05:22 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use liners with reasonable success after I learned to sand the ends smooth. But they have to be installed perfectly centered and that can be difficult.
Old 04-22-09, 02:24 AM
maranen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I use liners with reasonable success after I learned to sand the ends smooth. But they have to be installed perfectly centered and that can be difficult.
I glued the tyre liner to the tyre (recommended by LBS) and applied Hansaplast Classic plaster (fabric) on where the liner ends meet. Length of tyre liner for 20" tyre weighs about 40g + Marathon Racer about 300g - Marathon Plus 20" weighs about 700g.
Old 04-22-09, 03:03 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How did you do the gluing - what glue? I tried this once with double sided glue but it didn't stick. I didn't clean the tyre inside, I think that's why it didn't work.
Old 04-22-09, 05:48 AM
maranen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I tried with two sided tape, but it didn't stick. My LBS recommended Continental Tubular Tire Glue, which seems to be ok. By the way, this https://www.spinskins.com/tire-liner-technology.html liner looks very interesting - lightweight and this high-tech material is claimed to be highly puncture resistant.
Old 04-22-09, 09:39 PM
Andreasaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the tire liner thing, I hate most of them (from working as a mechanic), but the Panaracer Flat Away is a very nice option. It has adhesive on one side to hold it in place, while the strip is made up of a felted kevlar, so no blunt edges to chafe your tube. They are also very light, the only drawback is their price, at least in the non digital world
Old 05-07-09, 05:43 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by semaler
After 2 years I am a quite happy Curve D3 owner but I think I'm getting flat tires too often (and replacing the rear tube is so annoying...). I'm still using the original Big Apple tires and the rear one is already a bit wored so I'm thinking on replacing them with Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I know those tires would not be as comfortable as the Big Apples but I wondered if anyone did this before and how it went. Other comments regarding Marathon Plus will be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!
Semaler,

Did you ever get those Schwalbe Marathon Pluses? I'm looking for some for my Dahon Speed, but I haven't been able to find any in the Seville area or at Bike 24, a German shop I sometimes order from. Any idea where I might find some 20 inchers in Spain (or in Catalonia )?

Regards,

Ekdog
Old 05-07-09, 09:36 AM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I never ran them on my folder, but had them on my touring bike for a while. I took them off with only a few hundred miles on them. The Pluses weigh a ton and the ride is lousy. I don't recommend them for anything except maybe commuting on very hostile road conditions.
+1

Marathon Plus isn't my recommendation either. Heavy. Uncomfty. Slow.
Old 05-09-09, 12:39 PM
joose
pooh bear

Bikes: Dahon D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can recommend tyre liners. Been using mine for a year on all sorts of terrain with no problems. I got my local LBS to fit them. Also, I upgraded the tape that stops the spokes poking through as the original was thin and useless. The tape was the cause of my only flat.
Old 05-11-09, 03:11 AM
semaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Semaler,

Did you ever get those Schwalbe Marathon Pluses? I'm looking for some for my Dahon Speed, but I haven't been able to find any in the Seville area or at Bike 24, a German shop I sometimes order from. Any idea where I might find some 20 inchers in Spain (or in Catalonia )?

Regards,

Ekdog
Hey Ekdog,

No, I've not bought them yet. You could contact the guys at Plegabike (online shop). They are very helpful and have many Schwalbe tires available.

https://www.plegabike.com

Good luck!
Old 05-13-09, 08:21 PM
coloneltigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Curve D3 that I've been riding the past two seasons and I've replaced the original Big Apples with Marathons. They have more thread than the Big Apples but can be pumped to higher pressure. The ride is harsher but it's faster due to the high pressure. I prefer the Marathon's ride because it's faster but I can understand why people prefer the softer ride of the Big Apples.
Old 05-14-09, 01:24 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by semaler
Hey Ekdog,

No, I've not bought them yet. You could contact the guys at Plegabike (online shop). They are very helpful and have many Schwalbe tires available.

https://www.plegabike.com

Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 05-14-09, 02:03 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I use the basic Marathon HS 368 on a good number of high mileage bikes and the basic Marathons on my folder are 410 grams vs the 710 grams for the Marathon Plus.

They offer a nice blend of speed, handling, and ride (even at 100 psi) and if they are like my other Marathons they too will run without flats.

I can't see why anyone would pay more for the M Plus when it is almost twice as heavy as a basic Mararhon unless they ride in some really nasty environments.

Mind you... I never got flats on my cheaper Kendas either.

Come to think of it... I have only had two or three flats in the last 40,000 km and the things that caused those would have taken out most, if not any tyre.
Old 05-14-09, 03:49 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can I suggest Schwalbe Kojaks, I ran with them for a year on my Dahon MU SL without any punctures. Rode through glass, countryside thorns, snow & ice with no problems at all.
I like them so much that I have just fitted a pair to my Brompton.
Old 05-14-09, 04:18 AM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Kojaks. Very good tire (I run them on my regular size bike in 2,0", unfortunately there is no 2,0" version for small wheels).