Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's the best helmet mounted mirror?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 08:53 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Let's not discuss whether helmet-mounted mirrors are any good, okay? I've been using them since 1979 and am a total believer.

But yesterday, when the mirror fell off the stick of my last 3rd Eye Mirror as I was crossing 5th Ave at 69th St, I decided that really was my last 3rd Eye Mirror. So... is there a good alternative?

My first helmet mirror was a single piece of wire that clamped itself to my Bell Biker helmet and had a round lucite mirror at one end. It outlasted two Bell Biker helmets and I still have it; it was indestructible! I'd still be using it, but doesn't fit modern helmets. The wire rarely got bent, but if it did, I just bent it back, and the mirror stayed in adjustment for months.

Since then I've used a variety of mirrors. Some types don't hold their adjustment at all, others hold it only for a while. And then there's the mount itself; the ones that stick to the helmet with some kind of press-on glue are the worst, the plastic shell of the helmet isn't designed to hold any glue, so the sticky stuff just fails after a while. And anyway, I use a windproof/rainproof/high-viz cover on my helmet, so I don't want anything stuck to the outside of it. So for the last ten years I've tied 3rd Eye mirrors --the glasses mounted model-- to the plastic liner of my helmet using twist ties, but I go through them too fast; they're so flimsy they rarely last more than a year before they get too floppy to hold their adjustment at all, and before long the plastic breaks anyway.

In a nutshell, every mirror I've tried in the last 20 years was junk. So... is there a good one? What do you use? What do you recommend?

Last edited by rhm; 12-04-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:59 AM
BG1126

Bikes: 1984 Trek 610, 1979 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2006 Kona Dew FS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a "Steady Eye Mirror" through Ebay and have been happy with it--it's metal, not plastic. The only difficulty is attaching it with the clips. I've got it on the visor.
Old 12-04-09, 10:04 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
He makes the best ones.
https://www.momentumplanet.ca/blog/wa...ple-nahbs-2009

Old 12-04-09, 10:17 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Thanks, Fred, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! I don't suppose you have an email address for him?
Old 12-04-09, 10:39 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I personally like the Cycleaware Reflex. However, I use Gorilla Glue to attach it to my helmet, as the included "guaranteed" sticky tape doesn't work that well.

I used to use a take-a-look mirror, but having been in a pavement-kissing accident and receiving a number of facial stitches as a direct result of it having sharp edges and stiff metal pieces right next to my face, I decided the Reflex, with its bendy, rubber coated wire and round edged, plastic wrapped mirror on a breakaway ball joint was better.

I've been using the same Reflex mirror for 2 years now without any problem.
Old 12-04-09, 10:53 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chuck Harris

if you can't locate him or an LBS that has some of his mirrors (he doesn't get around as much as he used to) , try a Take-a-Look.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-04-09, 11:03 AM
Stryver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ItsJustMe: What kind of glasses were you using in conjunction with the take-a-look? I have fallen in love with mine, and had never considered them as a hazard.
Old 12-04-09, 11:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by rhm
Thanks, Fred, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! I don't suppose you have an email address for him?
I had this one that everybody liked.
Glass mount. Lost it in AZ.

Old 12-04-09, 12:10 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Stryver
ItsJustMe: What kind of glasses were you using in conjunction with the take-a-look? I have fallen in love with mine, and had never considered them as a hazard.
I had them mounted on my helmet with the included piece of plastic, but I had to tape them on because that mount stinks and they were always falling off.

My glasses at the time were very thin flexon memory frames, and the take-a-look couldn't grip it. Also, when I put a mirror on my glasses, I have to take the mirror off when I get where I'm going, then I usually forget to put it back on. When I put it on my helmet, it's always there.
Old 12-04-09, 01:18 PM
ch9862

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
What do you use?
I've been using take-a-look for the last few years. It's sturdy, takes abuse well, and is easy to adjust while riding.

However: I have it on my glasses, not on the helmet. The first one I bought came with a little plastic tab which was to be stuck to the helmet (but how? I can't remember), and act as an attachment point for the mirror. After I lost it (not on a bike), I bought another one and this one came without this piece of plastic. So I'm not positive it's easy to put on a helmet.

FWIW, I did use 3rd eye before, and did not like it - it felt flimsy and unsteady.

Others may know more though.
Old 12-04-09, 05:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I use the take-a-look on the visor of my helmet. Sturdy enough that when it falls off every once in a while, it doesn't self-destruct. In an accident, it would fall off before it had a chance to poke me in the eye.

Last edited by JanMM; 12-04-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:22 PM
bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Chuck Harris mirrors, unfortunately he does not get around as much as he used to. So if you get a hold of him, I'd suggest you get more than one. Below is a clip I cut-n-pasted from an article.

To purchase a mirror, contact Chuck Harris at:
Ultra-Light Bicycle Mirrors
P.O.Box 363
Gambier, Ohio 43022

or visit:
https://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=helmir
Old 12-04-09, 09:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Chuck Harris was at the Hilly Hundred in Indiana in October.
Old 12-04-09, 09:53 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on take-a-look. As noted above, very sturdy. And yes, there is a mounting tab that can be glued to the inside of your helmet. I use Gorilla glue and a couple of clamps to ensure a strong bond and after that don't worry about it much. . .best mirror I've ever used. The metal hinges for adjustment are far better than plastic ball-and-socket connections or flex-wire on the others.
Old 12-05-09, 07:25 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
This is what I use and found to be best after trying quite a few. But it clips to helmet visor only so you need to have a visor for your helmet. I mount mine perpendicular to the front edge of the visor. It all stainless and completely adjustable.

https://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4599063
Old 12-05-09, 07:42 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I use the take-a-look on the visor of my helmet. Sturdy enough that when it falls off every once in a while, it doesn't self-destruct. In an accident, it would fall off before it had a chance to poke me in the eye.
That's what I thought too. It didn't. It got trapped between the road and my face, and the mirror made a 6 stitch gouge alongside my nose.
Old 12-05-09, 07:45 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Cycleaware Reflex for me when I wear a helmet. The Take-A-Look with clear glasses or shades when I don't. As far as risk of injury from it is concerned, I'll take the chance because it's such an effective mirror.
Old 12-05-09, 08:05 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
My thoughts exactly. I have mine set up like this. I did not use any adhesive,just flipped the mount.
Old 12-05-09, 08:27 AM
sa2405
GreenwayRider

Bikes: Novara Safari, Rivendell Atlantis (on order), Schwinn Frontier, Unvigea Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
My thoughts exactly. I have mine set up like this. I did not use any adhesive,just flipped the mount.
+1 Chuck Harris mirror. The Country Bike Shop in Celina, OH always has a few in stock.
Old 12-05-09, 08:33 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by sa2405
+1 Chuck Harris mirror. The Country Bike Shop in Celina, OH always has a few in stock.
Thanks.

The mirrors:
https://www.countrybikeshop.com/jpeg%...%20Harris.html

Old 12-05-09, 10:36 AM
Stryver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I had them mounted on my helmet with the included piece of plastic, but I had to tape them on because that mount stinks and they were always falling off.

My glasses at the time were very thin flexon memory frames, and the take-a-look couldn't grip it. Also, when I put a mirror on my glasses, I have to take the mirror off when I get where I'm going, then I usually forget to put it back on. When I put it on my helmet, it's always there.
I picked up the habit of using cheap, clear, shooting glasses, like below, when I did endurance races a few years back. I could swap them out when they got dirty, instead of worrying about cleaning in a race. They have caught a number of bugs and rocks while on the road/commute.

I know they aren't prescription compatible, but an option for others. Sorry to hear about the stitches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YE0QCV0V9KKABV
Old 12-05-09, 04:01 PM
inkblot

Bikes: Haluzak Leprechaun, Ti-Rush, Azor Oma, Jamis Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use and love EVT's (Efficient Velo Tools) Safe-Zone helmet-mounted mirror. The mirror is large (2 1/4 in. diameter) and circular, the back and edges encased in plastic, on a sturdy ball-jointed stem. It's easily adjustable and holds its position well between adjustments. I've also used the Take-a-Look and liked it okay but worried about getting cut with it if I fell; after the Safe-Zone I would have a hard time going back to the Take-a-Look.

The web address is https://www.efficientvelo.com/.
Old 12-05-09, 09:08 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm using the Take-a-Look, but I'm not 100% satisfied with it.

I've lost one, was riding when it was cold, and I didn't feel it when it fell off somewhere. I couldn't find it when I backtracked. I've had problems when I was involved in tackling some brush on the bike lane, and the replacement gets knocked off. The muted silver/gray/brass colors of the mirror and mounts make it hard to see on the ground (especially when fall leaves are involved).

I added a leash, and tried applying a blue retroreflective sticker to the back of the mirror to improve visiblility. However, it's peeling off the mirrored surface.

I'm thinking about a 3rd mirror, putting it on a leash, and using CA (super) glue (and insta-set) to apply a protective layer over the back of the mirror. If I do that, I'll need to make sure to keep a good flow of air over the mirror to avoid the white fogging that sometimes occurs with CA glue offgassing.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-05-09 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 12:13 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Third Eye Pro, which is a bit different from the standard Third Eye mirror.

I've been using them for years, never really had a problem with them that a dab of glue wouldn't fix -- they've recently changed the design so the socket of the ball-and-socket joint no longer cracks at the open end after prolonged use. That's what used to loosen up the ball joint so much that it wouldn't hold adjustment, and was easy to fix with a bit of glue. The Pro has a larger mirror than the standard Third Eye mirrors, too. (But nothing like that EVT, might have to try that next time....)

They can mount to the inside foam of the helmet, so they don't interfere with a helmet cover. Toss the included double-sided tape and stick them on with superglue from a hobby shop, the type that's designed for use on styrene and is toughened with some sort of rubber polymer.

On Amazon: Third Eye Pro Helmet Mirror
Old 11-22-16, 10:30 PM
Judyaf

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best new bike helmet mirror

this may not have existed when this post was written

I tried few that fell off or didn't have a clear mirror are were not very adjustable.

This one has it all and stays on. You can move it around in many ways without it coming off and it snaps off the helmet when you want to pack it up.
https://www.amazon.com/CycleAware-Re.../dp/B01F7G5WYU

Cycle aware Relflex helmet mirror. It's awesome and it's so usable I almost look for it when I'm running!

Judy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.