Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano caliper not braking properly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 03:10 AM
Fake51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an ebike that I just replaced the front calliper on, but it's not braking as well as I expect. The new calliper is a Shimano MT500.

What I did was:
  • Took the wheel off
  • Took off the old calliper but kept the hose and lever in place
  • Cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner then wiped it down
  • Installed the new calliper, put the wheel back in place
  • Bled the calliper
I had a test run on the bike, and while the brake works, it doesn't brake super well. After driving on it, i tried using the brake when the bike is standing still - no matter how hard I press on the front brake, I can still move the front wheel (only forwards though - if I try backwards the brake stops the wheel). Also, the brake squeals when I engage it - not at first but as the bike slows down.
My rear brake on the other hand, also Shimano, brakes much harder - when I engage that brake, it can lock the wheel.
Is it just a question of breaking the brake in, so to speak? Or is it something else that is wrong?
Old 10-30-22, 07:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Do a search for bedding bicycle disc brakes. Follow the steps involved and see if that helps, before looking for other possible issues.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-30-22, 09:21 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sounds like you didn't bleed it properly. Impossible to say without seeing it in person though.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-30-22, 09:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
It might also help if you tell us why you replaced the caliper; it may be that you have a problem elsewhere in the system, and replacing the caliper didn't address it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-30-22, 10:27 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Sounds like you didn't bleed it properly. Impossible to say without seeing it in person though.
Not disputing the importance of bleeding. But the problem isn't consistent with air in the line

Bleeding causes excess lever travel and a spongy feel, as the air bubbles compress. But unless that allows the lever to reach the end of its travel range, the actual stopping power is unaffected, because pressure in always equals pressure out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-30-22, 11:29 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
It might also help if you tell us why you replaced the caliper; it may be that you have a problem elsewhere in the system, and replacing the caliper didn't address it.
Good point - I replaced the calipers because the front brake wasn't working, and the rotor was getting oily. I had tried to completely clean the rotor and use new discs for the calipers, but it got oily again and there was very little friction. So my best guess at cause was broken pistons
Old 10-30-22, 11:31 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Could be the case, but as the other reply points out, i don't have a problem with travel in the lever
Old 10-30-22, 11:31 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Do a search for bedding bicycle disc brakes. Follow the steps involved and see if that helps, before looking for other possible issues.
Thanks I'll do that!
Old 10-30-22, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Was the old caliper a BR-MT500?

What diameter are the disc's front and back?
Old 10-31-22, 07:00 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Was the old caliper a BR-MT500?

What diameter are the disc's front and back?
No, the old calliper was BR-T615. Couldn't find that anywhere, and BR-MT500 seemed a reasonable substitute - but that probably just shows my ignorance.

I'll update with rotor size when I have a chance to measure later today.

Thanks
Old 10-31-22, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is this an e-bike you just bought within the last year or two? If so I'd really recommend going to the dealer you bought it from and exhaust everything you can get them to do first. E-bikes tend to be very heavy and things like brakes and drivetrain just see way more demands put on them and some regular bike components used on e-bikes might not be up for the demands. Might be some warranty or good graces the shop will do for you to fix this.

You BR-MT500 is probably a good choice. If you have a 180mm rotor on the front then that is the max spec'd for that brake and a 180mm should give more braking power than the smaller 160mm which might be on your rear.

If the front brake has never worked well with either calipers for you then probably something is up besides what you've been concentrating your efforts on. So another reason IMO to let someone else get eyes on it.
Old 10-31-22, 09:47 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this an e-bike you just bought within the last year or two? If so I'd really recommend going to the dealer you bought it from and exhaust everything you can get them to do first. E-bikes tend to be very heavy and things like brakes and drivetrain just see way more demands put on them and some regular bike components used on e-bikes might not be up for the demands. Might be some warranty or good graces the shop will do for you to fix this.
Sadly it's no longer under warranty. But I'm close to taking it to a mechanic.

You BR-MT500 is probably a good choice. If you have a 180mm rotor on the front then that is the max spec'd for that brake and a 180mm should give more braking power than the smaller 160mm which might be on your rear.
Thanks, good to know.

If the front brake has never worked well with either calipers for you then probably something is up besides what you've been concentrating your efforts on. So another reason IMO to let someone else get eyes on it.
The thing is the front brake did work ok when I bought it, three and half years ago. Then it started losing pressure in the lever - i tried bleeding it, but it just got worse, and it became clear oil was leaking. So I'm trying to replace the calliper now, as oil is leaking onto the rotor, and I can only see this happening from inside the brake
Old 10-31-22, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is the new caliper leaking too?

If it's just that you don't think you are not getting good braking from it, then maybe you've been dinking with it too much and not letting it bed itself in. My disc brakes weren't so great on my new bike, but after about 300 miles they became almost too good at braking.
Old 10-31-22, 01:37 PM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the new caliper leaking too?

If it's just that you don't think you are not getting good braking from it, then maybe you've been dinking with it too much and not letting it bed itself in. My disc brakes weren't so great on my new bike, but after about 300 miles they became almost too good at braking.
Ah sorry, wasnt being clear. No, the new calliper is not leaking (yet). So hoping that working on the bedding might improve it
Old 10-31-22, 11:06 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
It isn't bedding in the brakes, that will get you the last 5% of braking not 80%. Sounds like to me you have contaminated the pads, that is where the squealing is coming from. You probably didn't get the rotor as clean as you think and contaminated the new pads. Clean the rotor again REALLY well and either replace the pads or get out a propane torch and burn the contaminates off the new pads. Heat those suckers up good and hot and if you really want to be anal sand the surface of the pad a bit. Some people don't like that method but it works and it is cheaper than replacing pads every time you accidentally get a bit of oil on them.
Likes For Canker:
Old 11-01-22, 02:33 PM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canker
It isn't bedding in the brakes, that will get you the last 5% of braking not 80%. Sounds like to me you have contaminated the pads, that is where the squealing is coming from. You probably didn't get the rotor as clean as you think and contaminated the new pads. Clean the rotor again REALLY well and either replace the pads or get out a propane torch and burn the contaminates off the new pads. Heat those suckers up good and hot and if you really want to be anal sand the surface of the pad a bit. Some people don't like that method but it works and it is cheaper than replacing pads every time you accidentally get a bit of oil on them.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. So far I've been cleaning the rotor while attached so it's possible that didn't do it well enough.

Next problem is figuring out the proper tool to remove the rotor. I believe it's an RT-EM300 160mm center lock, but I can't see any manual specifying which tool to use for it. And Shimano had been very helpful and created a multitude of them ...
Old 11-11-22, 01:08 AM
Fake51

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solved

Found the proper tool, found the actual model of the rotor, got it off, cleaned it again, applied new pads (kept the old to try fixing them later), and reassembled. Front brake now works very nice!

Thanks for the help and the hints, everyone!
Likes For Fake51: