Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

tubeless tire swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 07:24 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
tubeless tire swap

I need to change a tire on my gravel bike, and need a suggestion on how to clean up the rim after removing the tire and sealant. The sealant I have is Orange seal endurance, would warm water and soap work?

Dave
Old 03-26-22, 07:28 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4fxvD49PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycl5Q66taHQ

Last edited by Rolla; 03-26-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 07:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just wipe off the rim with a couple wadded up paper towels, then mount the new tire.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-26-22, 07:57 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just wipe off the rim with a couple wadded up paper towels, then mount the new tire.
that’s what I’ve done and so far so good.
Old 03-26-22, 08:24 PM
bonsai171

I actually saw this video earlier. Not planning to clean the tire since it is worn out, but I'm curious if simple soap and water would work with Orange Seal Endurance. We aren't living at home right now due to major construction, so I don't have access to my compressor or anything else cycling specific either without driving 15-20 min. Hopefully I can mount a Panaracer Gravelking with a floor pump too.

Dave
Old 03-27-22, 06:44 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
The sealant is not normally touching the rim due to gravity. That plus the slick surface of the rim means there is no issue removing any sealant on the rim with a paper towel. It can collect in and around the valve stem though so make sure to clean that well.

Good luck with those Gravelkings, I found them one of the hardest tires to mount as they were very loose on my rims.
Old 03-27-22, 09:11 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Yup, I've never had to actually clean the rim, just wipe it down with a paper towel and mount the new tire.
Old 03-27-22, 11:57 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The sealant is not normally touching the rim due to gravity. That plus the slick surface of the rim means there is no issue removing any sealant on the rim with a paper towel. It can collect in and around the valve stem though so make sure to clean that well.

Good luck with those Gravelkings, I found them one of the hardest tires to mount as they were very loose on my rims.
I wouldn't bother cleaning that out, as you WANT sealant in that area to help maintain air-tightness.
Old 03-27-22, 03:35 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
I've never noticed much (if any) sealant sticking to my rims after removing a tubeless tire. It's usually all over the floor.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-27-22, 04:11 PM
bonsai171

Got the old tire off no problem, and the rims cleaned up really easily. Just used paper towel. Got the new tire on, but can't seat it with the floor pump unfortunately. Guess i'll have to drive home and use the compressor at some point.

Dave
Old 03-28-22, 11:09 AM
bonsai171

I tried using a compressor today, but no luck setting the bead. The valve core was out of the wheel, the pressure output was set to 110 psi, and I used both a blow-gun and schrader valve filler, but didn't have any luck. The tire bead was set in the middle of the rim. Is the issue the fitting used to get air in the tire? What else could be wrong? The compressor is also pretty large at 8 gallons.

Dave
Old 03-28-22, 11:18 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Add a layer of gorilla tape.
Old 03-28-22, 11:32 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I tried using a compressor today, but no luck setting the bead. The valve core was out of the wheel, the pressure output was set to 110 psi, and I used both a blow-gun and schrader valve filler, but didn't have any luck. The tire bead was set in the middle of the rim. Is the issue the fitting used to get air in the tire? What else could be wrong? The compressor is also pretty large at 8 gallons.

Dave
If you haven't seen this, it might help.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 03-28-22, 02:52 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
For me the Gravelkings were too loose and bead in the middle would never work. The only way I got them to set was to get the tire beads right up against the rim. The tires are very flexible so you can use your hands to pinch the tire and pull to the rim, just rotate the wheel while you do that to every inch of the tire. Then inflate without setting the tire down (setting down will move the bead from the rim on the spot where you set it down). Either that or adding half a dozen layers of rim tape might work.. a couple layers did not help, the LBS tried that and failed.
Old 03-28-22, 05:32 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
If you haven't seen this, it might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3h4nmDdOo
I was going to recommend the same video, def works. Also, and this is an easy one, but I've done it before, make sure the valve stem is actually between the tire beads, I've had it where I popped the tire off to one side of the valve without realizing it. But if that's not the case, then getting the bead started in opposite directions as shown in the video usually works. I've always been able to seat with a floor pump using that method.
Old 03-28-22, 07:19 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I was going to recommend the same video, def works. Also, and this is an easy one, but I've done it before, make sure the valve stem is actually between the tire beads, I've had it where I popped the tire off to one side of the valve without realizing it. But if that's not the case, then getting the bead started in opposite directions as shown in the video usually works. I've always been able to seat with a floor pump using that method.
I tried that video a little while ago. Got the tire to visibly move with the floor pump, but it didn't fully seat. Maybe it will work better with a compressor. I'm tempted to take it over to the bike shop and let them mess with it.

Dave
Old 03-28-22, 10:12 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I'm a big fan of Skinny Strippers - which is a bike thing ;-) for tubeless setup.
Usually can inflate gravel tires with just a floor pump with those in place. I've never had a problem getting a gravel tire to seat when using a compressor with the valve core removed.
Old 03-29-22, 02:44 PM
bonsai171

So I took the tire and rim to the LBS. The mechanic blaster the tire with a massive automotive dual stage compressor. The tire wouldn't seat with several attempts. His verdict was that the rim/tire wasnt a good one. Rims are wtb i23s, and the tire was just too loose. They had a Specialized Pathfinder Pro, and offered to mount it, and if it didn't work, no charge. The tire inflated right away, popped, and seated perfectly. It was also a bit wider than the Gravelking at 42mm vs the 38mm. Has anyone seen a database of good rim/tire combos for tubeless? So far the good tires know of for the Wtb i23s are the Maxxis Rambler and Specialized Pathfinder Pro.

Dave
Old 03-29-22, 04:24 PM
Koyote

So I took the tire and rim to the LBS. The mechanic blaster the tire with a massive automotive dual stage compressor. The tire wouldn't seat with several attempts. His verdict was that the rim/tire wasnt a good one. Rims are wtb i23s, and the tire was just too loose. They had a Specialized Pathfinder Pro, and offered to mount it, and if it didn't work, no charge. The tire inflated right away, popped, and seated perfectly. It was also a bit wider than the Gravelking at 42mm vs the 38mm. Has anyone seen a database of good rim/tire combos for tubeless? So far the good tires know of for the Wtb i23s are the Maxxis Rambler and Specialized Pathfinder Pro.

Dave
Glad it worked out. Bonus: you got a better tire!
Old 03-29-22, 05:43 PM
bonsai171

What is better about it?

Dave
Old 03-29-22, 06:03 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts

Dave
Nice. I've ridden both tires and liked them, but for gravel riding the Pathfinder Pro is my favorite tire (in 38mm width).
Likes For KJ43:
Old 03-29-22, 07:24 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by KJ43
Nice. I've ridden both tires and liked them, but for gravel riding the Pathfinder Pro is my favorite tire (in 38mm width).
​​​​​​My first impression of the Pathfinder is that it reminds me of WTB tires on a MTB. They seem like they will be strong, puncture resistant tires. I ride a lot of singletrack and rough gravel on them, so that will be a plus. The Ramblers I had held up really well, but were only 40mm. Wondering about the suppleness of the Pathfinder Pro though, seems like it rides a bit harder than the Ramblers. Probably fast when it gets going.

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 03-29-22 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-29-22, 08:49 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
​​​​​​My first impression of the Pathfinder is that it reminds me of WTB tires on a MTB. They seem like they will be strong, puncture resistant tires. I ride a lot of singletrack and rough gravel on them, so that will be a plus. The Ramblers I had held up really well, but were only 40mm. Wondering about the suppleness of the Pathfinder Pro though, seems like it rides a bit harder than the Ramblers. Probably fast when it gets going.

Dave
The Ramblers I had (42mm width) were great in the dirt both in grip and comfort, but not great on the pavement and the knobs wear fast. The Pathfinder Pros were not as supple as the Ramblers but much faster on the pavement and seem just as fast in the dirt even if they aren't as comfortable as the Ramblers. The Pathfinder Pros just last forever also since it has the solid center line.
Old 03-30-22, 02:43 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by KJ43
The Ramblers I had (42mm width) were great in the dirt both in grip and comfort, but not great on the pavement and the knobs wear fast. The Pathfinder Pros were not as supple as the Ramblers but much faster on the pavement and seem just as fast in the dirt even if they aren't as comfortable as the Ramblers. The Pathfinder Pros just last forever also since it has the solid center line.
I rode the bike again today about 8 miles. It felt better than yesterday, but I realized there is some drag in the rear tire, probably from the caliper. Going to fix that, it will probably change my impression of the tire.

Dave
Old 04-02-22, 10:25 AM
bonsai171

This morning I took the gravel bike out for a real test of the Pathfinder Pro (got the brake rub issue addressed already). The ride was 37 miles, and a mix of pavement, leaves, dirt, fine gravel, and a little rough gravel. The tire gripped really well in all conditions, but was especially fast on pavement and the fine gravel. The suppleness was good too, but I think the Rambler might be a little better (which is odd since this casing is 120 tpi, and the Ramblers I ran were 60 tpi). Can't wait to ride these again!

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.