Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reproduction Dura Ace Hoods

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reproduction Dura Ace Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 04:32 PM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 26 Posts
thanks man for order ! I need Your support in creating new projects
I know that I am not a webmaster and my website looks poor yet but I just start.. and more important is product than website looks or photos
Likes For bike-vintage.eu:
Old 03-22-24, 04:57 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by bike-vintage.eu
thanks man for order ! I need Your support in creating new projects
I know that I am not a webmaster and my website looks poor yet but I just start.. and more important is product than website looks or photos
Don’t worry about it! The website worked; that’s the important thing!
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-22-24, 05:19 PM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
$47 plus tax ... I guess, post-covid, that's a good/great deal on gum hoods?

Only $24 more than those from Soma

$24 ... what's that, like two beers at the hotel bar?
on my webiste is much cheaper
https://racevelo.com/produkt/shimano...v=9b7d173b068d
27 usd plus shipping
I
Old 03-22-24, 06:21 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
$47 plus tax ... I guess, post-covid, that's a good/great deal on gum hoods?

Only $24 more than those from Soma

$24 ... what's that, like two beers at the hotel bar?
Is there a picture of soma hoods on 6207 levers in use. (AND, prices are reduced on the new www.)
Old 03-25-24, 07:51 AM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Originally Posted by romperrr
Damn, I am tempted by the white hoods for my 87 team miyata....
Now I have in white so you can buy
Old 03-25-24, 02:17 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
A year ago in this very thread I whined about not being able to find Shimano AX (7300) hoods, circa '82, and just now I looked at racevelo.com and he's got 'em, in multiple colors even. Yay! Wifey has 'em, good for small hands because the reach to the blade is micro-adjustable, unlike most any other lever I can think of. Her hoods are hanging in there, barely, with a band of electrical tape around one to hold the rip closed, so this is timely.

He also has 7400, the non-aero Dura-Ace circa '84, which if you've used them you know, they're the pinnacle of non-aero brake levers — perfected, just in time for non-aero levers to become totally obsolete. But if you want cables out in the wind, say for Eroica, then these are the best.

So, order for two pairs of hoods placed. No builds are waiting for them, so the time they take in the mail is not a big concern. I consider the asking price to be totally reasonable.

I'm also glad to know that the Polish word for "Order" is "Zamówienie", way cooler than in English.
Old 04-04-24, 11:36 AM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Originally Posted by bulgie
A year ago in this very thread I whined about not being able to find Shimano AX (7300) hoods, circa '82, and just now I looked at racevelo.com and he's got 'em, in multiple colors even. Yay! Wifey has 'em, good for small hands because the reach to the blade is micro-adjustable, unlike most any other lever I can think of. Her hoods are hanging in there, barely, with a band of electrical tape around one to hold the rip closed, so this is timely.

He also has 7400, the non-aero Dura-Ace circa '84, which if you've used them you know, they're the pinnacle of non-aero brake levers — perfected, just in time for non-aero levers to become totally obsolete. But if you want cables out in the wind, say for Eroica, then these are the best.

So, order for two pairs of hoods placed. No builds are waiting for them, so the time they take in the mail is not a big concern. I consider the asking price to be totally reasonable.

I'm also glad to know that the Polish word for "Order" is "Zamówienie", way cooler than in English.
thanks for your "zamowinie" I saw that package arrived to ISC NEW YORK NY (USPS) 2024-04-02 18:46:00
so you should receive it soon. I need to work with my webiste but I prefer making a hoods
Old 04-04-24, 01:28 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I bought a pair of repro 7402 lever hoods ("bracket covers") off ebay last year from the same seller (I think). Apparently there are "old" and "new" type bracket covers, and my levers should take the "old" ones. The ones I got are (I think) the "new" ones. They have an internal protruding tab that fits into a slot on the "new" brackets (lever body). My lever brackets have no slot, which makes them "old" I guess. So my question is, can I just xacto knife off the internal tabs, has anyone else done this?
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 04-04-24, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
thanks for your "zamowinie" I saw that package arrived to ISC NEW YORK NY (USPS) 2024-04-02 18:46:00
so you should receive it soon. I need to work with my webiste but I prefer making a hoods
Work on the website AFTER you roll out the Sante and 6209 hoods! My Schwinn Circuit will look so much better!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-24, 02:11 PM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Originally Posted by norskagent
I bought a pair of repro 7402 lever hoods ("bracket covers") off ebay last year from the same seller (I think). Apparently there are "old" and "new" type bracket covers, and my levers should take the "old" ones. The ones I got are (I think) the "new" ones. They have an internal protruding tab that fits into a slot on the "new" brackets (lever body). My lever brackets have no slot, which makes them "old" I guess. So my question is, can I just xacto knife off the internal tabs, has anyone else done this?
hello, do not do this... they are too difrent in shape.. just sell the one you have or just keep it and I will give you a special discount for correct pair
just send me a message and photo of your brake levers
Old 04-04-24, 02:17 PM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

Originally Posted by genejockey
Work on the website AFTER you roll out the Sante and 6209 hoods! My Schwinn Circuit will look so much better!
sante hoods project in progress
Old 04-04-24, 02:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

sante hoods project in progress

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 04:57 PM
smd4

Well, got my repro Dura Ace 7402 hoods (or as Shimano calls them, "Bracket Covers"), in white, straight from Poland today. I ordered them on March 21st.

These are the real thing, folks.

As near as I can tell, they are identical copies of the real thing, right down to the "R" and "L" on the inner sides, and of course, "Dura Ace" on the outer surfaces. All lettering is as crisp and sharp as originals. The contours of the hoods are spot-on. I tried to see if the textured top portion was identical as well, but the pattern on both my originals and the copies are too complex to really tell. They look like they may be, though.

The white is very bright, brighter than my NOS originals, and will look good with my white vinyl tape (My originals started out not exactly white, and have only gotten darker with riding). The maker includes a small sheet of instructions to mount the hoods from the back of the lever, as the rubber isn't as flexible as the originals. While the rubber used *may* be slightly firmer, they seem like they will hold up to a bit of abuse. There is very slight mold flash, easily removed with an Xacto knife if you so choose. It's hardly noticeable.

I haven't been able to install these as of this writing, because my original hoods are still in place, and I don't want to tear down the cockpit just yet.

NOS hoods are selling on eBay for between $100 and $150, and don't look to be coming down any time soon. These hoods--which sell for a fraction of what the originals do--are not just reproductions, they may be better than the real things, which are approaching 40 years old. As mentioned, they are one-to-one matches for originals, including all lettering. There are competitors out there making similar hoods, but they aren't exact, and include the repro manufacturer's own logo and surface design. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but something to be aware of.

Because these hoods are so exact, I would hope the original manufacturer doesn't get involved. Because some companies can be protective of their designs, if you are on the market for 100% accurate reproduction hoods for your deteriorating, sticky originals, I would suggest you send an order or two to Poland as fast as you can.

Last edited by smd4; 04-07-24 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 03:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So, the funny thing is, I was prepared to go the rest of that bike's life periodically coating the slightly tacky hoods with talcum power, cleaning them to get rid of the stains and re-powdering them. But tell me that new hoods will soon be available, and I'm all...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-14-24, 01:22 PM
bike-vintage.eu 
racevelo.com

So, the funny thing is, I was prepared to go the rest of that bike's life periodically coating the slightly tacky hoods with talcum power, cleaning them to get rid of the stains and re-powdering them. But tell me that new hoods will soon be available, and I'm all...

this is the moment enjoy https://racevelo.com/kategoria-produ...v=9b7d173b068d
Old 04-14-24, 06:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

DONE! Order placed!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-14-24, 07:30 PM
smd4

DONE! Order placed!
Looking forward to your thoughts when you get them!
Old 04-15-24, 03:15 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
I've got BL-7100 levers on my 77 Volare. Will the BL-7200 hoods fit properly or will you be making some 7100s?