Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Verge p10

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Verge p10

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 04:24 PM
Kamiseta123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tern Verge p10

I am about to buy this bike. Is it good compared to brompton?
Old 07-22-20, 04:47 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Kamiseta123
I am about to buy this bike. Is it good compared to brompton?
terns have a lot of broken frames, snaped and injured riders backstory.

both bikes are in total diferent ground.

try riding one bromptom.

other nice brands:
birdy
tyrell
dahon
pacific cyvles.
Old 07-23-20, 02:39 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It's appalling that Tern is still in business. Do not buy that bike.
Old 07-23-20, 02:57 AM
Kamiseta123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
terns have a lot of broken frames, snaped and injured riders backstory.

both bikes are in total diferent ground.

try riding one bromptom.

other nice brands:
birdy
tyrell
dahon
pacific cyvles.
thank you. I already bit the bullet and placed my order for brompton s6l black edition.
Likes For Kamiseta123:
Old 07-23-20, 02:58 AM
Kamiseta123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
It's appalling that Tern is still in business. Do not buy that bike.
I actually had a conversation with josh (CS of tern) they told me that they already improved their frame structure. But Ill take that with grain of salt

Last edited by Kamiseta123; 07-23-20 at 03:02 AM.
Likes For Kamiseta123:
Old 07-23-20, 03:44 AM
hortan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bromton or Tern P10 can’t be compared, they are of a different category in my view. Bromton is robust and with a long life, suitable for daily commuting of short(<=12km?) distances (16” tires) combined with compact folding which is nice in a train. A P10 (20”) is more vulnerable and less compact when folded, but cycles better (lighter, convenient) so also suitable for longer distances. Never owned a bromton but for 2 1/2 year I own a Tern D9 which I use very occasionally for rides of <=50km (without problems and with must pleasure). At the time of purchase i knew of past (?) problems but i took the risk without regret so far.

But i wander: you must have reasons of considering a P10 over a D9, for my interest: a D9 is alteady rather expensive, with features of a P10 are important to you?
Old 07-23-20, 05:34 AM
Kamiseta123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hortan
Bromton or Tern P10 can’t be compared, they are of a different category in my view. Bromton is robust and with a long life, suitable for daily commuting of short(<=12km?) distances (16” tires) combined with compact folding which is nice in a train. A P10 (20”) is more vulnerable and less compact when folded, but cycles better (lighter, convenient) so also suitable for longer distances. Never owned a bromton but for 2 1/2 year I own a Tern D9 which I use very occasionally for rides of <=50km (without problems and with must pleasure). At the time of purchase i knew of past (?) problems but i took the risk without regret so far.

But i wander: you must have reasons of considering a P10 over a D9, for my interest: a D9 is alteady rather expensive, with features of a P10 are important to you?
I just like the upgrades from d9. But I already placed an order for brompton S6L black edition.
Old 07-23-20, 05:39 AM
hortan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, you’re welcome. Good decision no doubt !
Old 07-23-20, 06:23 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

thank you. I already bit the bullet and placed my order for brompton s6l black edition.
S is very sporty ride, aka aero position with a lot of pressure on wrists.
Did u test it?
Old 07-23-20, 06:31 AM
Kamiseta123

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
S is very sporty ride, aka aero position with a lot of pressure on wrists.
Did u test it?
Yes! I found the M bar was a bit upright for me (170cm) and S bar was just enough to my liking. I will post a picture of my bike once I get it with schwalbe one tire.

I really like the Tern p10 but I also value my life. Brompton only focuses on one design hence build quality is good.
Good thing I took my time to research the company's history before buying a bike from them. I think I made the right decision.
Old 07-23-20, 06:39 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Yes! I found the M bar was a bit upright for me (170cm) and S bar was just enough to my liking. I will post a picture of my bike once I get it with schwalbe one tire.

I really like the Tern p10 but I also value my life. Brompton only focuses on one design hence build quality is good.
Good thing I took my time to research the company's history before buying a bike from them. I think I made the right decision.

you cant go wrong with brompton.
in future you will probably complain about weight and the mantnence to stop rust on cromoly frame, but you will get use to it. Like the mantenance required to everthing that lasts.
Old 07-23-20, 03:22 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Rust on frame is not a problem on Brompton unless the painting is damaged. The rear triangle is more sensitive to rust (solution: buy a Superlight Brompton with titanium fork and rear frame).

The fold of the Brompton (and Birdy and Tyrell Ive) are much ore sophisticated than the simplistic middle frame fold of the P10 resulting not only in a smaller package but also in a package much easier to carry.

The 16" ETRTO 349 wheel size of the Brompton is not a problem. What is a problem for performances of the bike is the poor transmission with a 3 speed hub combined with two cogs and large space between gears.

The Birdy and Tyrell Ive have almost the same wheel size (ETRTO 355 = only 6mm bigger than the Brompton) but have a real rear derailleur with a real cassette transmission that provide better performances.

The other weak point of the Brompton is comfort on bad roads/cobbles.

On this point the Ive isn't much better, only the Birdy with its front+rear suspension (and if needed balloon 50mm wide tires) is much better.

Besides the fold, the other strong point of the Brompton is its front bag system (copied by Tyrell on the Ive)., by fr the easiest way to carry things on a commuting bike.
Old 07-24-20, 08:51 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I actually had a conversation with josh (CS of tern) they told me that they already improved their frame structure. But Ill take that with grain of salt
I have 4,000 miles on the replacement frame after the original was recalled. The original never had a problem in its 4,000 mile life. The frames are different and, I believe, improved in the area of the frame hinge/latch assembly.