Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Equipment/Product Review (1982) LYOTARD Berthet pedal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23, 09:05 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,002 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-04-23, 09:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I see the article on the Berthet pedals points out the weak point, those press fits. I used most of a dozen pairs on my fixed gear commuter from as soon as I discovered them until I graduated to the Shimano semi-platforms. Going up steep hills meant pulling so hard it wasn't long before I loosened those press fits. (Not all bad. New pedals meant more dust caps. My UO-8 fix gear shed left side dust caps like ducks shed water. Pedal scrapes unscrewed them. (And tightened the right dust caps.) UO-8 bottom brackets were so low, especially if you ran 700c and small tires - 1970s so it was sewups - that pedals scraped anytime you cornered and forgot to lean the bike away.

Somewhere I have a box of those old pedals. They pack very nicely so a box maybe a third the size of a shoe box holds a lot! It's heavy. Every pair has loose press fits and there might be 2 dustcaps total.

Aside from all that - simply great city fix gear pedals. Some of the easiest pickup toeclip pedals ever made. Those pickup tabs should be studied and copied by any manufacturer making toeclip pedals for fix gears. Also the weight balance of the full pedal and clip. So easy to flip and insert foot. First try pickup almost every time. Important on hard accelerations at lights to take your place in Boston city traffic back in the days before bike lanes.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-04-23, 11:34 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I have a couple pairs of these, It's a cool-looking, original design that was in production for decades, and is a good fit for many vintage bikes. I rotate my riding among several bikes so I don't use them all that hard, and have not had any problems with loosening. The term "platform" suggests a wide pedal, but they are actually quite narrow. That is fine for road riding with cycling shoes, but for urban commuting I use the much wider Lyotard 460's, which hold my wide street shoes much better.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 03-04-23, 04:24 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
"of satisfactory quality"

Old 03-04-23, 05:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
simply great city fix gear pedals. Some of the easiest pickup toeclip pedals ever made. Those pickup tabs should be studied and copied by any manufacturer making toeclip pedals for fix gears. Also the weight balance of the full pedal and clip. So easy to flip and insert foot. First try pickup almost every time. Important on hard accelerations at lights to take your place in Boston city traffic back in the days before bike lanes.
They have been copied in more modern pedals, e.g. the Sakae Ringyo SP-11 and Mikashima "Urban Platform," for example. Both have one-piece, cast bodies that prevent the loosening issue the Lyotards suffered from; the MKS is particularly nice in using sealed cartridge bearings. Unfortunately, the MKS does not accommodate slotted cleats, so that's a show-stopper for me.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-18-23, 09:09 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
When I took delivery of my '76 Puch Royal X in 1978, one of the changes I had made before the bike left the shop was to fit a set of Lyotard 23s, and they were still on it when it was sold and then stolen in '87. They were my favorite fixed-gear clip-and-strap pedals for many years as well, before I finally got tired enough of constantly repacking them that I switched over to MKS Sylvans augmented by Crank Brothers Eggbeaters.

Back around 2001 or so, I wrote an appreciation of them that Grant ran in The Rivendell Reader. Maynard Hershon took offense somehow to that and wrote a snarky-a$$ column in Velo-News implying I was a fool and a liar. I lost all respect for Velo-New's editors for their refusal to respond to my phone calls to discuss the matter, and towards Maynard for his choosing to belittle a cycling hobbyist.
Old 04-18-23, 09:35 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
I found a pair of these Lyotards recently at Recycled Cycles for $20 or so. So cool looking, I thought they would be great for my Moto GR grocery getter. Spent a lot of time overhauling them and JB Welding their loose press fittings. Mounted 'em just to realize they were the smallest and least comfortable pedal I've ever tried. Quickly sold them for $30 on craigs.