Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am now "that guy" at the LBS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 06:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Retired auto mechanic here. Last 30 years of my career were at new car dealerships. Labor charges are really random, depending on how hungry the tech is or how greedy the advisor is. Some of the service advisors overcharge customers so much it's embarrassing to even be involved with them.

Techs in my area get between 15 and 25% of the labor charged and the advisors get a smaller percentage. My old shop was at $228 per hour last time I went by.
Funny to read knowing I have taken my car to the dealership you worked at.
Old 10-26-22, 06:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Funny to read knowing I have taken my car to the dealership you worked at.
Pretty sure you never got hosed while I was there. If you go there now you are on your own.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-26-22, 07:13 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by big john
Pretty sure you never got hosed while I was there. If you go there now you are on your own.
Yes I believe you did chat with the cashier for one of the things I had to pay for. Switched to my independent mechanic as soon as the warranty was up anyway.
Old 10-29-22, 07:31 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Dropped my bike off yesterday with my mail order shifters. Charge will be $30 for install, which is more than fair. I also bought some new bar tape, since he has to install new cables and housings.

We also had a conversation about buying a set of carbon wheels. I'll do that when I return for pickup and can talk to the owner who deals with that stuff.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-29-22, 04:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Funny how all of these online retailers have parts but the bike shops can't get them from their distributors. Why is that?

If I buy the parts online and bring them to the bike shop for installation. It's cheaper that way.

The bike shop markup on parts is ALWAYS higher than what I can buy them for online so I never get parts through the bike shop.
The relatively small LBS mark things up because they have to, for a similar reason as why Wallmart can sell eggs for cheaper than your local corner store.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-29-22, 08:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Funny how all of these online retailers have parts but the bike shops can't get them from their distributors. Why is that?

If I buy the parts online and bring them to the bike shop for installation. It's cheaper that way.

The bike shop markup on parts is ALWAYS higher than what I can buy them for online so I never get parts through the bike shop.
First, you don't know how the industry works. Second, you're 'that guy'. It's your money, but you are him.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-30-22, 05:52 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
First, you don't know how the industry works. Second, you're 'that guy'. It's your money, but you are him.
We will be happy to install parts brought in by a customer (assuming they are compatible with their bike), we don't care where they got them or whether they are new or used. It is made crystal clear that there is no warranty whatsoever on those parts, and that the cost to install those parts are/may be different than for comparable parts purchased from us, which do carry a warranty. Easy piecey. Now when a roadie walks in with a situation of his own DIY wrenching over reach, that just makes my day, google the Taxi Danny Devito looking for a $ amount...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-30-22, 07:20 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by wheelreason
We will be happy to install parts brought in by a customer (assuming they are compatible with their bike), we don't care where they got them or whether they are new or used. It is made crystal clear that there is no warranty whatsoever on those parts, and that the cost to install those parts are/may be different than for comparable parts purchased from us, which do carry a warranty. Easy piecey. Now when a roadie walks in with a situation of his own DIY wrenching over reach, that just makes my day, google the Taxi Danny Devito looking for a $ amount...
Which is why I stopped by the shop for clarification before I ordered. Many of group rides leave from there, so I'm at the shop often anyway.

But I still do not understand why I could get the authentic Shimano part in 4 days but the shop can't 8 weeks later.
Old 10-30-22, 09:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
We will be happy to install parts brought in by a customer (assuming they are compatible with their bike), we don't care where they got them or whether they are new or used. It is made crystal clear that there is no warranty whatsoever on those parts, and that the cost to install those parts are/may be different than for comparable parts purchased from us, which do carry a warranty..
This may or may not be true. I think that you're assuming that a part bought elsewhere by a customer, was purchased from a non-authorized retailer of said part? I think you meant that the customer would have to pursue any future warranty claim with whomever he bought the part from, if the manufacturer itself doesn't provide warranty service.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-30-22, 09:12 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by bblair
Which is why I stopped by the shop for clarification before I ordered. Many of group rides leave from there, so I'm at the shop often anyway.

But I still do not understand why I could get the authentic Shimano part in 4 days but the shop can't 8 weeks later.
Because the shop only has 2 or maybe 3 distributors they can order from. Shimano doesn't sell to any more distributors than that. These distributors sell to all the bike shops in the country. They only have room to stock so much product. On the retail side there are dozens and dozens of businesses that sell Shimano parts directly to customers. Make sense now?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-30-22, 10:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think you meant that the customer would have to pursue any future warranty claim with whomever he bought the part from, if the manufacturer itself doesn't provide warranty service.
Part of the reason bike manufacturers get parts cheaper is they are expected to provide warranty service for those parts. Usually, shops can get parts warrantied as a courtesy. And that can extend to gray market parts bought from a company in the UK or Europe that pretends to be a bike manufacturer so they can sell parts more cheaply. Sometimes parts manufacturers will warranty parts for consumers, but I wouldn't count on it. I have heard of SRAM doing this, for example. Almost all parts manufacturers can trace the company where the part was originally sold and can get snooty about it. Generally, however, you can get parts warrantied, but you might have to ship it back to the place that sold it to you. It really depends on how much your bike shop likes you. If you really are "that guy," I would expect a shop to politely decline. The OP probably would get help. Some of the rest of the posters in this thread probably not, who knows?

There are lots of counterfeit parts out there nowadays. Pedals, chains, hubs, etc. Parts like derailleurs seem to be okay so far. But given the number of companies now making derailleurs in China, it wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing counterfeits of those too
Old 10-30-22, 12:23 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
This may or may not be true. I think that you're assuming that a part bought elsewhere by a customer, was purchased from a non-authorized retailer of said part? I think you meant that the customer would have to pursue any future warranty claim with whomever he bought the part from, if the manufacturer itself doesn't provide warranty service.
Yes, I'm speaking of our shop warranty, what the customer does or doesn't negotiate with whomever or wherever they obtained the part is on them.
Old 10-30-22, 03:20 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Part of the reason bike manufacturers get parts cheaper is they are expected to provide warranty service for those parts. Usually, shops can get parts warrantied as a courtesy. And that can extend to gray market parts bought from a company in the UK or Europe that pretends to be a bike manufacturer so they can sell parts more cheaply. Sometimes parts manufacturers will warranty parts for consumers, but I wouldn't count on it. I have heard of SRAM doing this, for example. Almost all parts manufacturers can trace the company where the part was originally sold and can get snooty about it. Generally, however, you can get parts warrantied, but you might have to ship it back to the place that sold it to you. It really depends on how much your bike shop likes you. If you really are "that guy," I would expect a shop to politely decline. The OP probably would get help. Some of the rest of the posters in this thread probably not, who knows?

There are lots of counterfeit parts out there nowadays. Pedals, chains, hubs, etc. Parts like derailleurs seem to be okay so far. But given the number of companies now making derailleurs in China, it wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing counterfeits of those too
Ok...first, bike manufacturers don't get parts cheaper because "they are expected to provide warranty service for those parts". That is complete BS. Trek is not going to take care of Shimano or SRAM warranty claims. Warranty replacements as a "courtesy"? Maybe on the extremely rare occasion, but not as a rule. Grey market parts getting warranteed by Shimano or SRAM USA? Nope. SRAM doesn't talk to customers about warranty stuff, you have to go through a shop. 100%. You really seem to not have any experience in the industry, I'd stop posting advice like this and leading people on.
Old 10-30-22, 03:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Ok...first, bike manufacturers don't get parts cheaper because "they are expected to provide warranty service for those parts". That is complete BS. Trek is not going to take care of Shimano or SRAM warranty claims. .
FWIW, that's not what Trek's warranty itself says, in that all parts are warranteed by Trek itself for 2 years anyway.
Old 10-30-22, 05:15 PM
bblair

If I buy stuff from the big boys: Performance, Excel Sports, Jensen, there are others...then don't you think that I can reasonably expect them to be genuine parts? I do, that is why I don't buy "new" items from an ebay store.

I have no idea what the markup is for hardware, but it would certainly be reasonable for labor rates to be $X if you bought the part there and $X+20% if you bring your own. I know that in some U.S. States you can bring your own bottle of wine and they charge a fee for uncorking, serving, washing the glasses etc.

Bottom line, I am sure that shops are at least as frustrated as we consumers are.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-30-22, 05:32 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
We will be happy to install parts brought in by a customer (assuming they are compatible with their bike), we don't care where they got them or whether they are new or used.
Especially with today's supply chain issues, my shop made it clear they didn't have the replacement shifters I needed and if I could find them, they would be glad to help with the installation. I told them the only thing I wasn't entirely comfortable with was hydraulic brake bleeding. They were like "Sure, we can do that". Not to mention when factoring the bleed kit cost, it was actually cheaper to just let the bike shop do it.

And believe it or not, parts aren't always cheaper online than they are at an LBS. After all, the online retailers have to adjust the price in order to give you that free shipping. FedEx doesn't deliver for nothing.

Bike companies have been very harsh with their dealers, and terms have been awful. Now shops are being forced to buy bikes they probably don't want.
Unfortunately they had a falling out with Trek though
I know of one bike retailer who cut all ties with Trek because the terms Trek was insisting on were so unreasonable. Trek was threatening to cut off all support unless their retailers' inventory was at least 80% Trek/Bontrager.

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I remember several instances in a shop I worked in several decades ago where a customer wanted a new rear mech, we had it in stock but he could get it at Nashbar for about 1/3 less and bought it there then brought in his bike to have us install it. We told him the shop rate for installation of a part not purchased from us was double the price if he bought the part from us...he was angry and decided to do it himself...he did it incorrectly and we wound up doing it for him at a higher cost because it now required cable and housing. Nobody won because the customer felt ripped off and we felt used.
Same customer came in another time looking for Sidi shoes which we were a dealer for. I spent over an hour with him giving him shoes to try on, etc. He left without buying them then had the balls to come in a couple of weeks later with the same shoes he bought at Nashbar...they were the only show in town back then...bragging about how they cost him 25% less and he wanted us to put on the cleats he also bought at Nashbar...we quoted him a price he didn't like, he told us we were thieves, the owner disinvited him from coming into our shop anymore. Again nobody won and everybody was angry and upset.
Customers like that are not worth keeping, IMO. Good riddance.

Last edited by Lombard; 10-30-22 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-31-22, 09:15 AM
cxwrench

FWIW, that's not what Trek's warranty itself says, in that all parts are warranteed by Trek itself for 2 years anyway.
That's not how it works. Ask me how I know. Hint: I used to have an @Trekbikes.com email address.

Maybe you forgot to read this part:

This Warranty Does Not Cover
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Corrosion
Improper maintenance
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Labour charges for part replacement or changeover
Non-proprietary products (any other original part or component) covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty
Cosmetic scratches or non-structural blemishes on Bontrager carbon rims or wheels

Last edited by cxwrench; 10-31-22 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 09:57 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

This Warranty Does Not Cover

Labour charges for part replacement or changeover
And I'm sure it's no quick job to change over all the parts from the damaged frame to the replacement one. I can't imagine what this costs. What does your shop charge for something like this?
Old 10-31-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Are you saying you don't want people to pay you to install parts purchased elsewhere? I've been that guy a fair amount and no shop has ever been anything but cheerful about providing the service.
Old 10-31-22, 11:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by bblair

Someone touched on that earlier in the thread, pointing out that a shop might not want the accounting and paperwork nightmare of holding an Amazon account, an Ebay account, a Performance account, etc. It does show how poorly the wholesalers are treating these smaller shops though, when there wholesale cost is more than the big stores' retail price including fast shipping.

Because the shop only has 2 or maybe 3 distributors they can order from. Shimano doesn't sell to any more distributors than that. These distributors sell to all the bike shops in the country. They only have room to stock so much product. On the retail side there are dozens and dozens of businesses that sell Shimano parts directly to customers. Make sense now?
I noticed over the past 10 or 15 years many of my local shops have switched to a website layout that looks like it's from a template, and they will have "in store" as well as "in warehouse" as inventory status. Not surprisingly, all of these shops in the area have the same "in warehouse" status on the same product. Does this mean there's some sort of (perhaps regional) large warehouse company that provides the website template and a physical inventory of parts for these stores to sell and ship more quickly?
Old 10-31-22, 01:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Someone touched on that earlier in the thread, pointing out that a shop might not want the accounting and paperwork nightmare of holding an Amazon account, an Ebay account, a Performance account, etc. It does show how poorly the wholesalers are treating these smaller shops though, when there wholesale cost is more than the big stores' retail price including fast shipping.

I noticed over the past 10 or 15 years many of my local shops have switched to a website layout that looks like it's from a template, and they will have "in store" as well as "in warehouse" as inventory status. Not surprisingly, all of these shops in the area have the same "in warehouse" status on the same product. Does this mean there's some sort of (perhaps regional) large warehouse company that provides the website template and a physical inventory of parts for these stores to sell and ship more quickly?
There's numerous legal reasons that they can't buy from a retailer--it may violate their contract with the supplier, it might violate the retailer's agreement with the manufacturer and/or their distributors, so some retailers won't ship to a store, and finally, if the store purchases the part from the rtailer, it makes itself the last link in the chain of distribution to the consumer, which carries with it liability if the part is defective and/or counterfeit. They don't get that liability if they suggest you to buy it off ebay or Amazon as they aren't in the chain of distribution. I'm pretty sure the store's insurer isn't going to allow them to purchase for sale from just any retailer.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-22, 02:57 PM
cxwrench

This has been an ongoing problem for years. Retailers have complained and complained about it. It's not cool when someone in the US can order an Ultegra group from the UK and get it for less than a shop would pay for it wholesale from QBP and get it in a week, free shipping. Shimano has worked on it a bit, but it seems like it's just made it harder for retailers to get parts from distributors. Not sure about the website template thing, could be something like that.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-31-22, 03:00 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's numerous legal reasons that they can't buy from a retailer--it may violate their contract with the supplier, it might violate the retailer's agreement with the manufacturer and/or their distributors, so some retailers won't ship to a store, and finally, if the store purchases the part from the rtailer, it makes itself the last link in the chain of distribution to the consumer, which carries with it liability if the part is defective and/or counterfeit. They don't get that liability if they suggest you to buy it off ebay or Amazon as they aren't in the chain of distribution. I'm pretty sure the store's insurer isn't going to allow them to purchase for sale from just any retailer.
This makes plenty of sense. Not to mention it's easy enough for the customer to buy the part and bring it in.
Old 10-31-22, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Lombard
And I'm sure it's no quick job to change over all the parts from the damaged frame to the replacement one. I can't imagine what this costs. What does your shop charge for something like this?
If we build a bike from the frame up we charge $400.00. Trek never did labor credits for warranty rebuilds, but Specialized does help out to a certain degree.
Old 10-31-22, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you saying you don't want people to pay you to install parts purchased elsewhere? I've been that guy a fair amount and no shop has ever been anything but cheerful about providing the service.
Not all, we do that all the time. I was talking about something else I think.
ETA: Was talking about prj71. He says he ALWAYS buys his parts online because he think's the retail bike shop is gouging him on the price, that they're 'marking up' the price more than online sellers. The truth is most shops (at least the one I work at) charge msrp for parts. Online sellers pay less for stuff, sometimes buying unused overstock from bike companies that paid OEM pricing for the stuff in the first place and don't need or care to make much profit on it, they just want to get ride of it. This is how some online sellers provide parts in non-retail packaging. My ideal customer would be the guy who doesn't mind sourcing parts online if we can't get them but buys from us when we have the part(s) in stock.

Last edited by cxwrench; 10-31-22 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For cxwrench:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.