Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

foiled the practical jokers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 08:12 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I work in a factory and am able to park my bike within 10 feet of my workbench where it is always in sight. Last week one afternoon I looked around after being out on a troubleshooting call and the bike wasn't there. Immediate panic so I walked over and looked around and some joker had moved my bike just around the corner of a cabinet so I couldn't see it. I asked one of the other guys if he had moved it to bring in some job materials that he had on a cart and he told me he had not and it wasn't even in his way. Now my supervisor is a great guy probably the best boss I have ever had and he has moved it before but just away from where I usually park it and where I could see it, Gets on my nerves but not a big deal. This time it was ( I'm pretty sure) a guy from another area. I really can't stand for people to mess with my bike. Its just the same as me moving their car at least in my mind. My solution I just brought in a cable lock and locked it to the bench. I never mentioned it to anyone but one guy did notice and I told him the bike had been moved a few times and I was tired of it so on goes the lock. I've been parking my bike in the same spot for 4 years and I even asked my boss when first started riding if it was ok to park there and he told me it was fine. Its the same as taking my tools without asking it just bugs me so I didn't raise a fuss I just handled it.
Old 06-21-10, 08:25 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
In the 21st century people use 'paragraphs'.
Old 06-21-10, 08:26 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't realize this was an Grammar and writing class.
Old 06-21-10, 08:27 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
In the 21st century people use 'paragraphs'.
Trolling again

Old 06-21-10, 08:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,713 Times in 2,531 Posts
I thought I was going to get to read a good story about revenge. I agree, it isn't funny to move someone's bike. Would be hilarious to figure out how to move their car
Old 06-21-10, 08:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
good for you
Old 06-21-10, 08:42 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We have huge parking lots so he would be looking all over fo his car, if I knew for sure it was the one guy I think it is, he leaves his keys out all the time then I would move his car for sure. I like my solution, no drama just a good lock.
Old 06-21-10, 11:04 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 103 Posts
My colleagues are way too scared of the consequences of even THINKING about touching my bike!
Old 06-21-10, 11:07 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
No need to move his car, just move his keys.
Old 06-22-10, 12:01 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aley
No need to move his car, just move his keys.

Someone moved my bike once, so I unplugged his keyboard. It's amazing how many people don't check their connections as the 1st troubleshooting activity...
Old 06-22-10, 12:23 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes my bike needs to be moved at work. I don't mind..
Old 06-22-10, 12:45 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I park my bike near my desk at work too. I have one particularly hyper co-worker that bothers me and he finds any way he can to touch my bike. It has a bell on the handlebar and he really wails on it. I joke with my other co-workers about hooking a battery to the bell.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-22-10, 06:03 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I park my bike near my desk at work too. I have one particularly hyper co-worker that bothers me and he finds any way he can to touch my bike. It has a bell on the handlebar and he really wails on it. I joke with my other co-workers about hooking a battery to the bell.
Install an Airzound horn on your bike. Don't tell your worker what it is, just smile a lot at him. Place a "Do not push" sign on the cute little red switch. Just wait till he gets a blast when he push that button

Oh yes, one more thing. After he falls for it, start taping some earplug next to the Airzound button.

Last edited by colleen c; 06-22-10 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added extra comment
Old 06-22-10, 06:43 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Someone moved my bike once, so I unplugged his keyboard. It's amazing how many people don't check their connections as the 1st troubleshooting activity...
If someone here at work leaves their PC unattended without locking it, I get a screenshot of their open windows and set the image as their background with all of their open windows minimized. I'll even set their TaskBar to 'AutoHide'. It usually takes them a while to figure out what happened.
Old 06-22-10, 06:51 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Originally Posted by BassNotBass
If someone here at work leaves their PC unattended without locking it, I get a screenshot of their open windows and set the image as their background with all of their open windows minimized. I'll even set their TaskBar to 'AutoHide'. It usually takes them a while to figure out what happened.
You can set it so the desktop shortcuts are hidden too, that way all they have are images of the drives.
Old 06-22-10, 06:54 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by colleen c
Install an Airzound horn on your bike. Don't tell your worker what it is, just smile a lot at him. Place a "Do not push" sign on the cute little red switch. Just wait till he gets a blast when he push that button

Oh yes, one more thing. After he falls for it, start taping some earplug next to the Airzound button.
That would work for most but I guarantee this guy would continually press that button anyway. He has facial ticks, throat clearing ticks and he messes with absolutely everything. I think he craves attention, good or bad.
Old 06-22-10, 07:04 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That would work for most but I guarantee this guy would continually press that button anyway. He has facial ticks, throat clearing ticks and he messes with absolutely everything. I think he craves attention, good or bad.
Darn!
Well at least you might get to see him crap in his shorts for one shot.
Old 06-22-10, 07:09 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When lifting a car, make sure the none of the pranksters is heaving on a non-structural part of the bodywork.
It's all fun and games until a bumper comes off in your hands.
Old 06-22-10, 07:13 AM
RA913

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a few people joke about moving my bike on me, or taking it for a ride while I am at lunch! I just say, if you have the $4500.00 bucks to replace it if something happens, then feel free, go for a ride.

It's at that point they decide that joking around with my ride is a really bad idea!

Don't be affraid to let the people at work know what your ride is worth, and what it means to you!
Old 06-22-10, 07:31 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts

Sounds like you need to install one of these at his desk, maybe it will take the heat off your bike for a while...
Old 06-22-10, 07:38 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time My bike gets moved at work is if it in the way of the plow & sanding guy or some such. Usually when that happens whoever had to move it lets me know.
It is under video surveillance, and the company has a zero tolerance policy regarding private property, so i don't worry too much about it. I am the only one who rides a bike to work and most of my co-workers know that it is not your average bike, it is serious transportation.
Old 06-22-10, 08:15 AM
sseaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All you need is a little superglue on the keyboard, 1 stuck key will drive a person nuts.
Old 06-22-10, 08:47 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I thought I was going to get to read a good story about revenge. I agree, it isn't funny to move someone's bike. Would be hilarious to figure out how to move their car
Been there, done that. A group of high school guys picked a girl's VW bug up and placed it between two pine trees. Alternatively they make roller jacks for moving vehicles around inside tight garages... they go around the wheels and when you jack them up the car is a few inches off the floor on rollers. One or two people can easily move it around in a level parking lot.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-22-10, 09:31 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Haha, I've got a good story.

A buddy of mine owned a classic, '74 Mini. When he was still living in the dorms, his roommate, a few other guys and myself, went out one night, lifted up his Mini and rotated it so that it was sideways in the parking spot. He woke up in the morning and was freaked.

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it when I get home.

Last edited by mikeybikes; 06-22-10 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 10:19 AM
fredgarvin7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many years ago I owned a Triumph Spitfire, a 2 seat Brit sports car. As a joke some friends jammed a potato up the tail pipe, which will prevent the engine from starting. But they reconned without the very high back pressure from the 2 inch exhaust I had. After cranking and cranking the pressure finally forced the potato to fly like a bazooka shell, trailing blue flame. It popped one of the pranksters, who was hiding in the bushes giggling, right in the throat! PERFECT! No need to retaliate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.