Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Complete Touring Bike Value in $1,000 Range

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 12:57 AM
wildpony

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm wanting to use the bike for touring and daily commuting. I have been looking at bikes like the Novara Randonne, Jamis Aurora, Surly Long Hual Trucker, fuji tourer, etc. Apparently I like steel.

I'd like your opinoins on the best value for a complete steel frame bike in the $1,000 price range.
Variables that have me hung up include weight, tubing materials, drive train components, chain-stay length, and geometry.

What do you guys have? How hard do you ride them? what would you change about the factory setup?

FYI Im 5'10 with a 33' inseam and wear a 12D shoe since I know those factors have an effect on frame size, wheel size on bikes like the surly, likelyhood of heel strike, and front-wheel to foot overlap on tight turns.

Have fun schooling a newb on a newb thread.
Old 05-06-08, 01:00 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters.

Steve
Old 05-06-08, 01:14 AM
wildpony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters.

Steve
This is what I call a "not helpful response."

You're right, I could search the forums to compare reviews of each individual bike and accumulate enough knowledge to make my own evaluation. But I have other things to do with my time and would rather take advantage of this community's previously acquired cumulative knowledge to help me make that evaluation.

If you have links to specific, up-to-date threads that deal with this precise question, that would be very helpful though.
Old 05-06-08, 02:45 AM
Burningman
See You Down The Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I have other things to do with my time"

That's not a great way to get your questions answered

"take advantage of this community's previously acquired cumulative knowledge to help me make that evaluation"

"This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters."

"If you have links to specific, up-to-date threads that deal with this precise question, that would be very helpful though."

We need to supply links for you too.....OK, " This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters."

I hope thats a more "helpful response."

Last edited by Burningman; 05-06-08 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 06:10 AM
wildpony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burningman
"I have other things to do with my time"

That's not a great way to get your questions answered

"take advantage of this community's previously acquired cumulative knowledge to help me make that evaluation"

"This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters."

"If you have links to specific, up-to-date threads that deal with this precise question, that would be very helpful though."

We need to supply links for you too.....OK, " This thread has been done heaps. Search the archives for starters."

I hope thats a more "helpful response."
Ok now tht we have all the obligatory "this has been done lots" comments out of the way lets get on with the actually helpful advice. I've searched the archives and did'nt find what I was looking for otherwise I wouldnt have posted in the first place.

So, like or not, here it is, being done again, for all posterity to see. Try to be helpfull. Do it for the children.
Old 05-06-08, 06:18 AM
DuckFat

Bikes: Cannondale Killer-V 900 (Mountain), Jamis Aurora (Touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short answer, none of those are a bad choice. The LHT is probably the best regarded on this site.
Old 05-06-08, 06:47 AM
allanmac00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rnadonee is a well-reviewed bike in that range. Also, I believe all REI bikes are 15% off until 5/11, so that might help settle it.
Old 05-06-08, 06:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by wildpony
I'm wanting to use the bike for touring and daily commuting. I have been looking at bikes like the Novara Randonne, Jamis Aurora, Surly Long Hual Trucker, fuji tourer, etc. Apparently I like steel.
Those are all good choices. I would add the Windsor Touring if you either are capable of doing your own wrenching or have a local dealer that will treat you fairly if you have a bike that wasn't bought from them. Three of us rode Windsors on the TransAmerica last year and liked them fine. We swapped cranks to get better gearing for the mountains. The crank we used was a Sugino XD600.

The LHT seems to be especially well thought of. I know of one user rider who found toe overlap to be a major issue for him with the LHT, but most folks just get used to toe overlap and don't even notice after some time adjusting to the bike. I prefer STI shifters, but many see the bar ends as a plus.

You might check if the sale this week at REI includes the Randonee. It looks like a very nice setup.

If you want a bit more info about how the WT's worked out for us check out our journal at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/staehling2007
Old 05-06-08, 08:51 AM
wildpony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Those are all good choices. I would add the Windsor Touring if you either are capable of doing your own wrenching or have a local dealer that will treat you fairly if you have a bike that wasn't bought from them. Three of us rode Windsors on the TransAmerica last year and liked them fine. We swapped cranks to get better gearing for the mountains. The crank we used was a Sugino XD600.

The LHT seems to be especially well thought of. I know of one user rider who found toe overlap to be a major issue for him with the LHT, but most folks just get used to toe overlap and don't even notice after some time adjusting to the bike. I prefer STI shifters, but many see the bar ends as a plus.

You might check if the sale this week at REI includes the Randonee. It looks like a very nice setup.

If you want a bit more info about how the WT's worked out for us check out our journal at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/staehling2007
Wow! Great trip report! Lots of great information. Looks like those Windsors served well.
Old 05-06-08, 09:05 AM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put together my randonee and have 200 miles or so on it. Its pretty darn comfortable. Im happy with it and really like all REI products. On sale, I think it is the best value for the dough. Keep in mind there isgoing to be some money put into it if you plan on doing some serious touring. Nice saddle, front rack, fenders, etc.... it seems all the bikes I looked at all were missing a few of the components I was going to need.
Old 05-06-08, 09:06 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ok now tht we have all the obligatory "this has been done lots" comments out of the way lets get on with the actually helpful advice. I've searched the archives and did'nt find what I was looking for otherwise I wouldnt have posted in the first place.
Sounds like you would be ideally suited to ride a Surly...
Old 05-06-08, 09:44 AM
m_yates

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Sounds like you would be ideally suited to ride a Surly...
From the location, he is probably just an aggie...Hook 'em horns!

Back to the question: considering the specs of each bike, the Randonee is currently very likely the best deal. The only thing that costs less is a Windsor Tourist. The LHT costs significantly more, has similar components, and you don't get a free rack. The Jamis Aurora is similarly priced, but has a road triple crankset that you may need to swap for lower gearing and also doesn't include a rack. You can get a Windsor Tourist cheaper, but you have to factor in the cost of building it (and also the Windsor Tourist comes with generic brand hubs, bottom bracket, and headset. All the other bikes you mentioned have higher quality parts in the specs).

I actually own a Windsor Tourist. The bike has been a learning tool for me, as well as my main form of transportation to work. I've been pretty happy with everything except my bottom bracket failed after 600 km, but this is probably just bad luck on my part. I've tinkered with a lot of other stuff on it and finally have it set up as I like. It (and the Fuji Touring) is one of the few bikes you can get that still has a 1 inch threaded stem. It makes handlebar height adjustment easier, but is a fading technology. The Randonee comes with an adjustable stem anyhow, and you would have the people at REI to help fit you and set it up. So, if it were me, I'd by the Randonee, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Longhorn
Old 05-06-08, 11:50 AM
chucko58
Getting older and slower

Bikes: Beat-up commuter, Chumba XCL for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a LHT complete for $900 + shipping from webcyclery.com, but as others have pointed out REI has the Novara Randonee on sale for the next few days. The LHT is working out well for me, toe overlap is a minor issue with fenders but not a big deal.
Old 05-06-08, 12:02 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whichever one fits you best. I'm not trying to be a smart*****, this is my actual answer. try to do some test rides.
Old 05-06-08, 12:15 PM
theranman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FIT..FIT...FIT.

I went with the 53cm Jamis Aurora, even though the 52cm LHT was closer to my size.

The Aurora had STI and cheater brakes, while the LHT had bar ends, which I loathe for use in the city.

The LHT was definitely lighter, though.

The Randonee did not fit my at all...way too big, and the next smaller size was too small.
Old 05-06-08, 12:49 PM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd like your opinoins on the best value for a complete steel frame bike in the $1,000 price range.
Variables that have me hung up include weight, tubing materials, drive train components, chain-stay length, and geometry.

What do you guys have? How hard do you ride them? what would you change about the factory setup?

FYI Im 5'10 with a 33' inseam and wear a 12D shoe since I know those factors have an effect on frame size, wheel size on bikes like the surly, likelyhood of heel strike, and front-wheel to foot overlap on tight turns.

Have fun schooling a newb on a newb thread.
A few weeks ago, I decided that the best answer to that question was the Surly LHT. Please note that most alternatives aren't readily available around where I live - I even had a hard time finding a store which had a LHT on the floor. My alternatives were a DaVinci and the Trek 520. I ruled them out for various reasons, including financial restrictions and a bias towards the Surly. So far I don't regret my choice, it's a sweet ride.
Old 05-06-08, 05:24 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So, like or not, here it is, being done again, for all posterity to see. Try to be helpfull. Do it for the children.
I agree with others. You have a rather snide tone, and your comment about having better things to do with your time implies that you think your time is worth more than that of the contributors to this list. I don't.

The comment about the children was ironic.
Old 05-06-08, 05:36 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
"Best value" = used. Plenty available, just look.

Like this: here's a $2,000 bike for $900.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/670653895.html

Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-06-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 06:13 PM
wildpony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I agree with others. You have a rather snide tone, and your comment about having better things to do with your time implies that you think your time is worth more than that of the contributors to this list. I don't.

The comment about the children was ironic.
Well I understand your argument. But the truth is that it takes a minimal amount of effort and time for others to simply share what they have previously learned through research and experience. I'm not asking the community to search for me, just asking that they share their previously acquired judgements and opinions. This has the potential of effectively condensing weeks worth of research into a more readilly cognizable streem of helpful information gleaned from those who have been there and done that.

To everyone else: Great info! I had no idea that the Windsor was so similar to the Fuji model. There is a Jamis dealer here in Lubbock and their bikes are usually speced nice for the price. Does anyone else have any experience with the Aurora?

P.S. As far as snide goes. I just have very little tolerance for nit-pickey, bike snobing, couch commandos who have nothing better to say than worthless and unhelpful one-liners that contribute to nothing greater than their post count. A healthy dose of good clean fun and alma mata rivalry are alwayse welcome and enjoyed though

Last edited by wildpony; 05-06-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 06:28 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
A google search of bikeforums.net yielded the following results with specific information about the Jamis you're interested in.

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-126860.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-98677.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-53295.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-223871.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-106993.html

I think what people are trying to say that if you used the search function -- either on the site or via Google -- you might get the benefit of some wisdom that's already been displayed here.

Then, I'm sure people would be happy to add any updates.
Old 05-06-08, 07:32 PM
wildpony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! That's wonderfully helpful. Thank you very much!
Old 05-06-08, 08:00 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This thread had very little information. Much more information was given in previous threads and it will take time to read them all.
Old 05-07-08, 04:29 AM
tgbikes
tgbikes

Bikes: Volpe,Eros, Voyageur, LHT, Ochsner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
YOUR body dementions may have more effect on your choice of frames than you may realize. components can't change your shape or the frame dementions.
Old 05-08-08, 01:17 AM
metzenberg

Bikes: Surly LHT; Surly Ogre; Sekai 1970s classic; Old Trek Hard-tail Mountain Bike; Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wildpony,

Don't let anybody be rude to you around here. It's a discussion we should be having all the time, but it's still a good idea to dig into earlier threads, and not just get one point of view.

Originally Posted by tgbikes
YOUR body dementions may have more effect on your choice of frames than you may realize. components can't change your shape or the frame dementions.
DE mention of de body is so true, yeah.

I think taller people (like me) need stiffer frames and are not likely to be satisfied with an alumobike. I have my own touring bike now with a very stiff titanium frame. Now that doesn't answer the newb touring question, but definitely, bikes do not scale evenly. Would somebody tell me, and no offense to those whose body type is not thin, but why do people who look like they could (and should) lose 20 lbs spend so much to get a bike that weighs maybe 2 lbs less?

Yesterday, I took a friend with me to visit a bikeshop. I don't need a touring bike right now, but I am just trying to talk one more person into trying touring. When the turbo on my friend's Saab blew its gas-gut, he got out an old Motobecane and started riding it again, for a few days. Soon he was hooked, but he knew he didn't have much of a bike.

Now, what really disappointed me was that the famous LBS we visited hardly had any touring bikes on display. Nothing but the latest fashion in mountain bikes with big knobby tires, impractical bikes that you could never use for a real journey. So let's not jump all over a new guy because it is impossible to get a good comparison of three touring frames in your size EVEN AT A FAMOUS LBS.

How many people here have really tried riding all of these bikes, in their own size, fitted for them? I wish that I could, but it is hard to even find one bike shop that has one. I am impressed that the Surly actually uses a different size wheel from smaller to larger set-ups. That shows a philosophy about how bikes scale.

The famous bike shop didn't even have a Trek 520 to look at. They told me that frankly, they don't sell very many of them. For a serious bike shop, $1000 is an entry level bike that they don't have that much time for, especially when the customer will order it somewhere else to save $30.

Howard
Old 05-08-08, 06:35 AM
Nigeyy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, here's some advice for your question:

-look up all previous threads and read them (use the search function). You say you did and didn't find answers -but there's a ton of similar threads out there so I find it puzzling. Try searching on just each bike name.

-once you've read them all, come back and post the question again, stating that you've read this thread and that thread. You'll also probably have some more focussed questions by then, and I think more people will be receptive to your question (which by the way, I don't think is as specific as you may think, read on).

-and/or be clearer on your original question -there's nothing in your original post that is much different from many of the previous threads (which is more than likely why someone said do a search!). Also, you make no mention of where you wish to tour, whether you will be using the bike exclusively for touring, if you are on a limited budget, what equipment you have, etc, etc, -all things that may be good information to know when people are willing to post their experience in reply.

-finally, I've got to say by stating that you've got better things to do with your time (and yet have the audacity to ask for "links to specific, up-to-date threads that deal with this precise question") but berate someone who posted -admittedly who was a little blunt but certainly not impolite -you should look it up yourself is a little like the pot calling the kettle black (also calling them nit picky or a couch commando isn't improving the situation either). This approach just ain't going to win you friends -remember it takes other people's time and effort to respond to you.

Last edited by Nigeyy; 05-08-08 at 06:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.