Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Highest elevation climb with a hub motor Ebike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 11:29 PM
EbikeHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In 1 hour how far up hill can a hub motor Ebike go up (in elevation) with a 12 ah 48 volt battery pack and minimal pedaling? (less than 100 WH of pedal power) Remember only about 80% of the pack Ah rating of most types of batteries will be ok before damaging the batteries.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 09-14-07 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 11:52 AM
The7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
12Ah X 48V = 578 Wh
It will supply 578W for an motor for 1 hour.
If the motor has an eff of 80%, then the output power is 460W.
If the man assists 100W as suggested the total useful power = 460+100 = 560W.

If the gear ratio is OK, then any motor having 80% eff will climp the same height for the same load: weight of ebike, weight of rider, road condition.
Old 09-15-07, 01:51 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The7
12Ah X 48V = 578 Wh
It will supply 578W for an motor for 1 hour.
If the motor has an eff of 80%, then the output power is 460W.
If the man assists 100W as suggested the total useful power = 460+100 = 560W.

If the gear ratio is OK, then any motor having 80% eff will climp the same height for the same load: weight of ebike, weight of rider, road condition.
First of all any lead acid battery that is rated at 12 ah you may get 100% of its capacity for 1 time before the battery is permanentaly dammaged.These batteries are rated at a 25 hour discharge to get the full ah.That is less than 1/2 amp per hour discharge rate.Discharging at a 2 C rate= 24 ah you will find that the batteries will take this for a few months only if you do NOT discharge them more than half of the batteries rated ah= 6 ah.=288 watt hours.For those who have used lithiums will find this true as well when discharging beyond 60 to 80 % of the battery packs true .2C to .5C ratings.Short peak discharges wont hurt too much but if you are trying to go up a decent grade hill ( of 10 to 20% grade)with out using a 24 ah discharge= 1152 watthours you will not get above 10 mph. How does one gear down a hubmotor in a 26" wheel bike to run at its best efficiency to go 10 mph up a hill using less than 1000 wh ? I know that I did not mention a speed but it is common knowlege that most hills of 10% grade or more it will take at least 750 watts to maintain a slow speed even if your motor is close to 95% efficient with a light bike.Going back to the orriginal question: Highest elevation climb with a hub motor Ebike? Not theroitical but who has a actual answer? Has no one with a stock off the shelf hub motor climbed even a 10% grade for 1 hour?

Remember only about 80% of the pack Ah rating of most types of batteries will be ok before damaging the batteries.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 09-16-07 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 06:13 PM
The7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii
First of all any lead acid battery that is rated at 12 ah you may get 100% of its capacity for 1 time before the battery is permanentaly dammaged.These batteries are rated at a 25 hour discharge to get the full ah.That is less than 1/2 amp per hour discharge rate.Discharging at a 2 C rate= 24 ah you will find that the batteries will take this for a few mounths only if you do NOT discharge them no more than half of the batteries rated ah= 6 ah.=288 watt hours.For those who have used lithiums will find this true as well when discharging beyond 60 to 80 % of the battery packs true .2C to .5C ratings.Short peak discharges wont hurt too much but if you are trying to go up a decent grade hill ( of 10 to 20% grade)with out using a 24 ah discharge= 1152 watthours you will not get above 10 mph. How does one gear down a hubmotor in a 26" wheel bike to run at its best efficiency to go 10 mph up a hill using less than 1000 wh ? I know that I did not mention a speed but it is common knowlege that most hills of 10% grade or more it will take at least 750 watts to maintain a slow speed even if your motor is close to 95% efficient with a light bike.Going back to the orriginal question: Highest elevation climb with a hub motor Ebike? Not theroitical but who has a actual answer? Has no one with a stock off the shelf hub motor climbed even a 10% grade for 1 hour?

Remember only about 80% of the pack Ah rating of most types of batteries will be ok before damaging the batteries.
Is it fair to say climbing 10% grade for 1 hour without stating the distance travelled?
One could gear down to ride for several hours if he likes. But how far did he travel?

Is there any one gear ratio that will be good for all condition: flat road, gentle slope and steep slope?
Old 09-16-07, 01:52 AM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The7
Is it fair to say climbing 10% grade for 1 hour without stating the distance travelled?
One could gear down to ride for several hours if he likes. But how far did he travel?

Is there any one gear ratio that will be good for all condition: flat road, gentle slope and steep slope?
So how would you gear down a hub motor to match your desire ? I don't care how much grade or distance.The question I asked was how far up n elevation a hub motor ebike can go in 1 hour ? Has no one yet found out by doing a test ? between 5 and 10 mph or any speed or distance ... or grade. LOL.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 09-16-07 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 02:18 AM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE

Is there any one gear ratio that will be good for all condition: flat road, gentle slope and steep slope?[/QUOTE] Yes. if you don't use a hub motor and use a chain reduction with a ratio for your gross weight and have enough torque available to do the job at the speed you desire...
Old 09-16-07, 03:05 AM
geebee

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE

Yes. if you don't use a hub motor and use a chain reduction with a ratio for your gross weight and have enough torque available to do the job at the speed you desire...[/QUOTE]

To paraphrase for a hub.
Yes. if you use a hub motor and use a wheel diameter suitable for your gross weight and have enough torque available to do the job at the speed you desire...
Or you can also get a geared hub which will give you a self contained high efficiency package that will climb well.

I have a 160w rated geared hub that with minimal pedaling will sit on just over 20 kph on a 10% hill continuosly without even getting warm unfortunately it only takes half of your specified voltage.
I can't define my pedal input as I don't have a power meter in the rear wheel but I am not putting much effort into it.

Have you ever done so? because your famous volcano is only a 5% average incline.
Old 09-16-07, 01:40 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1 hour how far up hill can a hub motor Ebike go up (in elevation) with a 12 ah 48 volt battery pack and minimal pedaling? this is the question with no answers yet.
Old 09-17-07, 07:37 AM
BroadwayJoe
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Idiotic question posed by someone only looking to argue for selfish purposes. For anybody that doesn't already know - Randy is a complete freak who has nothing better to do than muddy good informational forums with post after post about his greatness. His royal heighness King Randy is NOT somebody you wanna deal with in any way, shape or form. Bottom line with this kook - play at your own risk - you've been warned...
Old 09-17-07, 06:34 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe
Idiotic question posed by someone only looking to argue for selfish purposes. For anybody that doesn't already know - Randy is a complete freak who has nothing better to do than muddy good informational forums with post after post about his greatness. His royal heighness King Randy is NOT somebody you wanna deal with in any way, shape or form. Bottom line with this kook - play at your own risk - you've been warned...
LOL ..Questions that YOU can not answer are Idiotic and selfish ?
Old 09-18-07, 08:26 PM
Jaleel Johanson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a better question...

How many people are out in the nice weather enjoying their hub motor bikes legally while Randy can't legally ride his junk on Maui Hawaii roads? LOL
Old 09-19-07, 12:56 AM
Lowell_

Bikes: Rocky Mountain electric bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaleel Johanson

How many people are out in the nice weather enjoying their hub motor bikes legally while Randy can't legally ride his junk on Maui Hawaii roads? LOL
Yeah it was pretty nice out yesterday, rode to work and then to visit my folks, about 60km or so. I wonder how much Randy actually rides his clunker these days?
Old 09-19-07, 05:29 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With 90 degree weather most every day of the year and mountain trails just across the street I could care less about riding on the car filled roads. LOL most days I use my truck to go surfing. If I do ride on the road the cops don't care or even know that ebikes are ilegal.A shop has been renting ebikes in town for the last two years illegaly.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 09-19-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 05:57 PM
springnr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep hoping EbikeHawaii would figure out how to produce his ideas or decide to share details...

I just now gave up, and figured out how to add him to the ignore list in the control panel.
Old 09-19-07, 06:11 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by springnr
I keep hoping EbikeHawaii would figure out how to produce his ideas or decide to share details...

I just now gave up, and figured out how to add him to the ignore list in the control panel.
My ideas will be produced when and if ebikes become legal here and a ebike market ever developes beyond flat land style heavy inefficient hub motors and lead acid batteries.
Where there is no vision Ebikes will perrish.
Old 09-19-07, 06:17 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every single day.

And I don't have to prove anything by climbing a stupid mountain either.
Old 09-19-07, 06:19 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My ideas will be produced when and if ebikes become legal here ...
Sounds ti me like they made them illegal because just like us, they're tired of your constant bolstering. Buy a clue... they want you to leave the state.
Old 09-19-07, 08:28 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
Sounds ti me like they made them illegal because just like us, they're tired of your constant bolstering. Buy a clue... they want you to leave the state.
Make like a hub motor.... Rattle and fry..
Old 09-20-07, 01:44 AM
Lowell_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must be talking about Ken Trough's 5lb (or is it 7lb) smoking disc motor that you designed.
Old 09-20-07, 05:37 AM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowell_
You must be talking about Ken Trough's 5lb (or is it 7lb) smoking disc motor that you designed.
You are once again mistaken but also forgiven.

https://www.heartspringmedia.com/prod...artspring.html
Old 09-20-07, 08:07 AM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go climb a Volcano and throw your bike in it while your at it.
Old 09-20-07, 10:24 AM
Lowell_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe
Randy must enjoy public abuse and ridicule.
Old 09-20-07, 01:27 PM
EbikeHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowell_
Randy must enjoy public abuse and ridicule.
I do enjoy watching you and your ebike girlscout troop make fools of yourselves over toy hub motors.
Old 09-20-07, 01:31 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do enjoy watching you and your ebike girlscout troop make fools of yourselves over toy hub motors.
Will you ever shut the **** up?
Old 09-20-07, 01:48 PM
Lowell_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The joke is on you, Randy. In case you haven't figured it out, you're the laughing stock of every EV forum you preach on. (that you haven't been banned on yet) Somehow you even manage to alienate those that support your ideas...

https://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/homophobes.htm

"These findings support the theories that homophobia (fear and hatred of gayness and support for antigay discrimination) is often indicative of repressed, self-loathing *****exual feelings; and that many homophobes subconsciously use anti-gay attitudes as a smokescreen to disguise their own *****exuality."

Could Randy actually be a closet hub motor fan? Using his public hatred for hub motors as a cover up, ashamed to admit to the world that he only rides his hub motor ebike at night time when nobody is around? It's ok to come out of the closet Randy, don't be scared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.