Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best multi-tool ..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best multi-tool ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 10:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I carry links in a separate package ... I know myself, and I know I would pull out the tool, drop the links, and be stuck on the roadside in knee-deep grass looking for them for an hour ... probably at night and in the rain. (A selection from the "Been there, done that" line of uncomfortable cycling experiences. )
From the "been there, done that" files...

My first MTB had a pump built into the seatpost. The pump was built for schraeder valves, but had a thread-on presta adapter. On a late-afternoon ride, I flatted at close to the furthest point from my car (of course). Everything went fine until it came time to unscrew the adapter from the pump and thread it onto the valve stem. The adapter slipped from my fingers and dropped into the dirt - gone. I gave up looking when it got too dark to look effectively any more, and started the hike back to my car via 2 miles of technical singletrack and another mile of road.

20+ years later, I sometimes lose small parts on the floor of my garage. Small parts out in world - with a tired body and cold hands - is a recipe for frustration.
Old 12-08-23, 10:41 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My main carry is the Crank Brothers M10 but I really prefer the custom set I built but it is not the most practical for most folks but it is a 1/4 bit ratchet from Snap-On with a set of bits from PB-Swiss in a custom magnetic "
Dude you had me at Snap On. Can I raise you one ? I found a really cool little T-handle that has both 1/4" square and hex bit socket holder. it is titanium, from County Comm (countycomm.com)

Great item Sexy Sliding Titanium “T” Driver - Gen 2 Combo – CountyComm

Then add in hex bits from Wera, plus torx or whatever. The Wera hex bits are cupped, like a Snap On "flank drive" socket and they are just excellent

also this little coupler is handy, square drive to hex bit.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-08-23, 11:14 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Dude you had me at Snap On. Can I raise you one ? I found a really cool little T-handle that has both 1/4" square and hex bit socket holder. it is titanium, from County Comm (countycomm.com)

Then add in hex bits from Wera, plus torx or whatever. The Wera hex bits are cupped, like a Snap On "flank drive" socket and they are just excellent

/markp

I like !

( where can I find the square drive to hex bit coupler ? link ?)

this might be a similar option :

https://www.lithegoods.com/shop/p/ti...r_notification

Old 12-08-23, 11:16 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

https://www.lithegoods.com/shop/p/ti...r_notification
Old 12-08-23, 11:26 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
See ebay item https://www.ebay.com/itm/282698175761

or Chads toolbox for half the price 05042750001 WERA 784 A QUICK REL ADAPTOR 1/4" SQ X 1/4" HEX (chadstoolbox.com)

this is a top quality item

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-08-23, 11:38 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Now that I think about it ... I don't think I've ever used the 8mm hex head on my multi-tool. It's just nice to have. Plus, the 8mm is just a removable head placed overtop the 5mm tool, so it's somewhat of a "throwaway" addition to the set. If at some point it gets lost, it wouldn't bother me in the least .
I like the 8mm head - fits pedals - pack it just in case

and as you state - it’s just a head and consumes very little space

but it would bother me if I lost one - had trouble finding them to purchase (initially)
Old 12-08-23, 11:50 AM
t2p

good small lightweight minimalist tool

( includes two small tire levers and bits are stored inside tool )

unfortunately Topeak discontinued - has not been avail for a while

terrymorse uses one I believe

Last edited by t2p; 12-08-23 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-08-23, 12:07 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Pratt
Building on Chaadster and Blazing pedals, maintenance can make any multi tool better. Given that they are all less ideal than regular workshop tools, the best multi tool is one you never have to use.
agree - but to a point

this past summer had to bring out the tools - but for for other riders / bikes

one time in a MUP parking area - helped another rider that did not have a torx bit (I was the only one in the lot at that time with a torx bit)

another time the rider was in our group - bike not maintained properly - rider did have a small multi tool but was insufficient

another time we encountered a rider that crashed - fair amount of damage done to the bike - so had to disassemble some of the drivetrain to free chain etc and free brake / rotor - and then McGuyver the bike in a state where it could be ridden or at the least pushed back
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-08-23, 05:41 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I think there are two parts to this question. The first is identifying the features that you need. Do you need tools for one specific bike? All your bikes? Lots of tools to help others?

The second is locating a reasonably high-quality tool that does what you need it to do. Because I use nicer tools at home the majority of the time, I don't worry about carrying a super-nice multi-tool because it is only for emergencies.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 12-08-23, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts

/markp

I like being raised!
It's nice but while cool doesn't ratchet..Though I have a few CountyComm ti parts in a cart that make some neat stuff. I love titanium and odd neat stuff for EDC and camping.

I have a Spurcycle tool similar to that but it doesn't do 1/4 sockets so maybe I might go for that thing but I really don't need the sockets on that tool at the moment but would love to maybe carry some for the touring bike for fenders and my rear rack and such might be a cool alternative to the Park Tool thing I have whose name I forgot (not the IB tools but the little stick with the sockets).
Old 12-09-23, 02:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Perfect for me so far. Mind you, I've never broken a chain, nor needed anything larger than a 6mm hex.
SKS Tom7 Multi-Tool
Old 12-09-23, 03:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BK007
Now you're playing the "IF" games..
Anything could happen on the road ,
It's nice to have something to work with ..
Say something worthwhile or shut the H..up !!
My remark was directed at cyccommute's post, where he stated anything was good if it didn't look like a standard multi-tool. While I appreciate the wisdom he brings to the forum, I think that this time he's, well, not in agreement with me. The thing is, I think those ubiquitous all-in-one multi-tools are great. One of those, along with a quick-link and a patch kit, can handle 99% of what I'm likely to run into on the road. Sometimes they're a bit awkward, but I don't lose parts.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-10-23, 10:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My remark was directed at cyccommute's post, where he stated anything was good if it didn't look like a standard multi-tool. While I appreciate the wisdom he brings to the forum, I think that this time he's, well, not in agreement with me. The thing is, I think those ubiquitous all-in-one multi-tools are great. One of those, along with a quick-link and a patch kit, can handle 99% of what I'm likely to run into on the road. Sometimes they're a bit awkward, but I don't lose parts.
I’ve used mine a lot and never lost any parts. The advantage is that the tool fits in my hand and can actually be used in close quarters on the frame. Some of the all-in-one multitools are so wide that they don’t even fit in my hand which isn’t small.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-10-23, 10:44 AM
t2p

See ebay item https://www.ebay.com/itm/282698175761

or Chads toolbox for half the price 05042750001 WERA 784 A QUICK REL ADAPTOR 1/4" SQ X 1/4" HEX (chadstoolbox.com)

this is a top quality item

/markp
ok - super - thank you ! mpetry912

now … where can I find a hex sleeve adapter (or whatever it is called ?) like the one in pic (attached to hex on the old school ritchey cpr tool) ?
Old 12-10-23, 10:52 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve used mine a lot and never lost any parts. The advantage is that the tool fits in my hand and can actually be used in close quarters on the frame. Some of the all-in-one multitools are so wide that they don’t even fit in my hand which isn’t small.
I’m on the fence - so I will often carry multiple types of tools including all-in-one tool and small multi-bit tool

to further make little sense - I carry multiple types of connecting links - but ditched the chain tool

Old 12-10-23, 10:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Some multi-tools (I have one from Nashbar like this) are so small that they are ineffective---the screwdriver and some of the small hex-heads aren't long enough to reach into some areas without the body of the tool interfering with rotating the tool.

Smaller is not always better and there is such a thing as "too compact."
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-10-23, 11:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Here’s the Fix-It-Sticks T-wrench I use. The tire levers and chain tool are very clever.

The best old school (and still useful) multi-tool was the Cool Tool. It was Invented by Robert Seals in 1990. I have several as well as the accessories…L.I.T.E. and Q.R. Tools, headset wrench, and hook spanner. I also have a Seals original from Chico, CA. This one is in the original package.

This is the tool kit I carry with me just about every where I go. I’ve used all of the parts but some get used more than others.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-10-23, 12:02 PM
t2p

Here’s the Fix-It-Sticks T-wrench I use. The tire levers and chain tool are very clever.

This is the tool kit I carry with me just about every where I go. I’ve used all of the parts but some get used more than others.

great looking carry case - what type ?

(does not appear to be a fixit sticks case - but could be ?)

Last edited by t2p; 12-10-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-10-23, 12:05 PM
t2p

The best old school (and still useful) multi-tool was the Cool Tool. It was Invented by Robert Seals in 1990. I have several as well as the accessories…L.I.T.E. and Q.R. Tools, headset wrench, and hook spanner. I also have a Seals original from Chico, CA. This one is in the original package.

I believe they made a titanium cool tool - but not positive (?)
Old 12-10-23, 01:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Fire-starter? If I get so frustrated I want to burn my biker, but it is metal ... I will just get more frustrated. Maybe a hacksaw blade?
Old 12-10-23, 02:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Fire-starter? If I get so frustrated I want to burn my biker, but it is metal ... I will just get more frustrated. Maybe a hacksaw blade?
Some people go touring and bikepacking and they carry a fire-starter so that they can start a camp fire.
Old 12-10-23, 03:07 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by BK007
Hi All
I'm based in US and looking for multi-tool set to carry with my bike ..
Base on what you have and experiences ..
Any suggestions.. ?
Thanks
Have a few and while well-suited to older bikes, not a good match for my newest rides. Found this Wolf Tooth 8-Bit Pack Pliers to be comprehensive and very small and light compared to a lot of current options. Getting the correct bit out can be fussy, as they're packed in tightly and the magnet does not let them loose without some force.

Holds a quick link in addition to the bits shown.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...V-yMs-QeNTGpB0

Series has a couple more and they stack, held together magnetically.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 12-10-23, 04:13 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Everything suggested in the thread SUCKS. LOL
Old 12-10-23, 04:41 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
As I said earlier I carry a crack Bros Y-16 in my Topeak trunk bag and 5 of my 8 bikes have Topeak racks. On the other bikes I have a few tools in under seat bag. I have flat multi-tool that is slime brand has tire lever as each side of housing and allens inside that is a decent tool. I bought several of them at Ollie's for $3 each
Old 12-10-23, 05:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Everything suggested in the thread SUCKS. LOL
Helpful input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.