Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My new Speciaized Turbo Vado 5 SL-EQ

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 10:41 AM
Rixtory

Bikes: 1986 Cilo 12 Speed, 2003 Trek 7700 FX, 2016 Specialized Diverge, 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5-SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a Vado 5 SL-EQ last week as a christmas gift for myself..
In my early 60's, I have been riding for a long time now - All Road. I love biking but after 3 aortic valve replacement surgeries and a pacemaker this year and surgeries on Left knee and right quad, I simply cannot get up these Pennsylvania hills and mountains like I once proudly did. I found my daily riding becoming a smaller circuit and less miles as I feel trapped inside my valley, surrounded by hills. Enter the Vado 5-SL.

I struggled between the regular and the superlight until I realized what I wanted was something light that I could ride without power, but have a little assist when I need to get up a hill, or a the end of a longer ride, not having to limp home.
I didn't really care as much for the EQ, since all I really wanted was a plastic front fender and rear rack for winter riding, but I figure I can take those accoutrements off for 3-season riding.

I've got 66 miles on the bike now (no small feat considering the amount of snow we had last week) and am absolutely amazed at the ability it gives me. I haven't had it in turbo mode for anything other than assist ups some long hills (1-2 miles with 500'-800' climbs) and have used Eco and sport modes sparingly in bursts on shorter hills, but with proper use of low end gears
So far, this week, I have been out 6 times and riding without power as much as possible.
Now for that TCD display. What nightmare - Took me 3 rides to figure it out.
I also have to have software updated. Does anyone know what the first update entails? The LBS (wasn't so local ) I purchased from is 300 miles away - Closest that had both in Large, in stock. My Specialized LBS (Where I got my Diverge 4 years ago) had nothing in stock and nothing available to order.

Does anyone have any idea what the charge would be to update the software?
I am hoping that this bike lasts. I tried the Trek and the Giant similar versions, but was really taken with the Vado.
eI would love to hear other comments also...
Old 12-25-20, 09:38 AM
kshapero
Motorvated

Bikes: Cannodale Quick CX2, Specialized Allez Sport, Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
MY LBS did it for free. You should expect the same service.
Old 12-25-20, 05:51 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rixtory

I've got 66 miles on the bike now (no small feat considering the amount of snow we had last week) and am absolutely amazed at the ability it gives me. I haven't had it in turbo mode for anything other than assist ups some long hills (1-2 miles with 500'-800' climbs) and have used Eco and sport modes sparingly in bursts on shorter hills, but with proper use of low end gears
So far, this week, I have been out 6 times and riding without power as much as possible.
Fantastic you could get the rides in. I generally ride my Vado 4 SL at Eco or Sport. I’m not in that good of shape. But this week I went out and it was so windy (20 mph steady, 35-45 mph gusts) that I ended up having to ride in Turbo just to keep moving. When it wasn’t in my face I was being blown sideways.

Of course the way back tailwind allowed me to easily ride at over 20 mph. Except when I was being blown sideways. Made for an exiting ride.
Old 12-28-20, 11:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Updates shouldn't always cost a bunch at least at the beginning. Some shops like my own will give out a couple free tune ups. After a while yes we do charge but of course we have to buy update tools and software and take the time to update and all the other overhead costs associated with a business. However in some cases we will update it as part of a tune up or because we have to do a warranty on it.

The Vado SL is a fantastic bike, I am hoping to get one myself. The EQ package is super handy and fairly negligible in weight and not worth taking off. People who take off fenders and racks for certain seasons are kind of silly. Unless you really never have any rain or wetness beyond a short period but even then the faff of taking it off and putting it back on just isn't worth it.

Enjoy the bike you will have a blast on it.
Old 01-02-21, 07:20 AM
Shwuno

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
ive got a turbo Levo hard tail, how do you find the difference between sl and the larger motors?
Originally Posted by Rixtory
In my early 60's, I have been riding for a long time now - All Road. I love biking but after 3 aortic valve replacement surgeries and a pacemaker this year and surgeries on Left knee and right quad, I simply cannot get up these Pennsylvania hills and mountains like I once proudly did. I found my daily riding becoming a smaller circuit and less miles as I feel trapped inside my valley, surrounded by hills. Enter the Vado 5-SL.

I struggled between the regular and the superlight until I realized what I wanted was something light that I could ride without power, but have a little assist when I need to get up a hill, or a the end of a longer ride, not having to limp home.
I didn't really care as much for the EQ, since all I really wanted was a plastic front fender and rear rack for winter riding, but I figure I can take those accoutrements off for 3-season riding.

Now for that TCD display. What nightmare - Took me 3 rides to figure it out.
I also have to have software updated. Does anyone know what the first update entails? The LBS (wasn't so local ) I purchased from is 300 miles away - Closest that had both in Large, in stock. My Specialized LBS (Where I got my Diverge 4 years ago) had nothing in stock and nothing available to order.

Does anyone have any idea what the charge would be to update the software?
I am hoping that this bike lasts. I tried the Trek and the Giant similar versions, but was really taken with the Vado.
eI would love to hear other comments also...
Old 01-02-21, 08:37 AM
Rixtory

Bikes: 1986 Cilo 12 Speed, 2003 Trek 7700 FX, 2016 Specialized Diverge, 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5-SL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found with the Vado 5 in practice runs, it was a bull going up hills - you have to keep pedaling, of course, but it is easier and there is much more battery left. However I am up to 125 miles on Vado 5 SL and I have done a few long 1-2 mile 500-800' hills (PA of course) and the SL makes it up them well. I am in low gear on turbo (100%/100%) and cranking like crazy. I will admit the last hill was so tough on a recent 14-mile ride that I put it in sport mode from the crest of the hill through the last 3 miles home because I was so worn - A section where I would normally would ride without pedal assist. That long gradual hill that ends with very steep sections took off about 20% of my battery charge.