Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I went and did it

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

I went and did it

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 07:41 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went and did it

...as mulleady would say.

I was discussing my upcoming (Spring) trip with my coworkers and mentioned how I was slightly disappointed that I wouldn't have my home-built folder finished because I just don't have the time to invest in that project. They know I'm a Brompton and Bike Friday fan so they asked me why I didn't just buy either one. I replied that it was because the bottom line is that I'm a cheapskate, a tightwad, a Scrooge when it comes to money. Besides, I enjoy the inexpensive bikes that I do have.

They then asked me which one I'd suggest to my doppelganger if he were in the market for a folder. Well I love the Brompton for it's looks, overall design and of course it's fold. However I like the Bike Friday NWT for it's practicality, that it's frame is designed to use off the shelf parts/components, is made here in the USA, uses 20" wheels and that although not a quick fold, it can still be folded small enough to fit into a case that meets the "checked-in" luggage requirements without having to dole out dosh on oversized luggage fees (cheapskate gene kicking in again). So I confirmed that I'd get a Bike Friday NWT.

Then they broke it down to me this way. I rarely use my car (a rarity here in the USA) which is an old '83 diesel Benz so it's been paid off a loooong time ago. This means that I don't have a car payment and since it's rarely used and I only buy fuel 4 times a year, the money I save because of my cycling means that I would easily pay for the BF NWT in just a few months. Then they went and broke it down to me some more... I haven't paid this kind of money for a bike in about 25 years yet I'm an avid cyclist, surely I'm entitled to splurge a little. My upcoming trip is more than just a tour of one of my favorite places, it's also to celebrate an important time in my life and that alone should warrant treating myself to a bike that will be a reminder of this special occasion, one that I'll still be able to enjoy for years to come.

Although the 'saving money because I cycle' part still seems a little questionable to me, I'll have to admit that my coworkers were very convincing... enough so that I went and did it. I got the ball rolling to have a Bike Friday New World Tourist built for me.

I admit, even though I'm finding it hard to part with the money, I haven't been this excited in a long time. Who needs crack when they have friends/coworkers?
Old 01-10-13, 07:45 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Congrats on the new Bike Friday. What color and options did you get?
Old 01-10-13, 07:59 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
awesome! what options and components have you chosen?
Old 01-10-13, 08:13 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
You have good coworkers
Cyclists/commuters I presume?
Old 01-10-13, 08:35 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hahaha... you guys are gonna rib me for this but I went for the basic NWT in Black, no options, nothing special. Sorry to let you down but what I care most about it is the frame... everything else is inconsequential to me and can be replaced or upgraded if I go crazy and feel it's necessary.

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
You have good coworkers
Cyclists/commuters I presume?
They really are the best but actually not a single one really rides. One guy has a bike that he tootles around on in the summer on a perfect day and there are a few who admit to possibly having a two-wheeled something somewhere in the garage but that's it. Amazingly they're in awe of my Citizen Miami, thinking it's the coolest thing since the Nerf dart wars we'd have here at work, and ride it around the building. What do you expect from a bunch of computer nerds?
Old 01-10-13, 08:45 PM
smallwheeler

no ribbing. it's actually a smart move. after developing a relationship with the bike, then you can consider what upgrades you may (or may not) need. a stock NWT is an awesome bike.
Old 01-10-13, 08:58 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence, smallwheeler. It helps make the liberation of funds less traumatic.
Old 01-19-13, 12:32 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So now I play the waiting game. Everything is paid for, BF has my sizing info and specs so they should start building my NWT in a couple of weeks. The bike should get to me towards the end of February so I'll at least have a couple of months to put it through it's paces before I take it on it's true maiden voyage.

I sold the trailer that I made previously to accommodate a Citizen Miami and am now working on making a flight-case/trailer for the BF NWT.

In case anyone is interested in putting together their own case/trailer the cheapest I found for a 61.5" (linear inches) Sampsonite F'Lite case is at SuitCase.com for $138.00... free shipping (here in the USA). Mine arrived a few days ago and it's definitely a more robust case than the less expensive TravelPro I used for my first build. The wheels can be bought at Northern Tool (they sell them through their eBay store) for $15 a pop. Next up is going back to my local hardware store and picking up the tubing (I'm using galvanized steel again) and hardware to make the frame. When all is said and done the trailer will have cost me about $200 and some time... definitely a better option than doling out $500 for a ready made case/trailer.

I hope the links help others, who are building trailers, in sourcing inexpensive parts.
Old 01-19-13, 12:52 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
In case anyone is interested in putting together their own case/trailer the cheapest I found for a 61.5" (linear inches) Sampsonite F'Lite case is at SuitCase.com for $138.00... free shipping (here in the USA). Mine arrived a few days ago and it's definitely a more robust case than the less expensive TravelPro I used for my first build. The wheels can be bought at Northern Tool (they sell them through their eBay store) for $15 a pop. Next up is going back to my local hardware store and picking up the tubing (I'm using galvanized steel again) and hardware to make the frame. When all is said and done the trailer will have cost me about $200 and some time... definitely a better option than doling out $500 for a ready made case/trailer.

I hope the links help others, who are building trailers, in sourcing inexpensive parts.
Congratulations on ordering the new bike.

Are you sure that the bike sized for you will fit? I believe that there is more than one size F'Lite.

On the Yak there was a discussion some time ago regarding fitting modern Bike Friday's into 62" suitcases.
Old 01-19-13, 12:59 PM
kamtsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In case anyone is interested in putting together their own case/trailer the cheapest I found for a 61.5" (linear inches) Sampsonite F'Lite case is at SuitCase.com for $138.00... free shipping (here in the USA). Mine arrived a few days ago and it's definitely a more robust case than the less expensive TravelPro I used for my first build.
Anybody knows if a Brompton will fit in this case? Minor disassembly is OK.

It's half the weight and half the price of a 'Brompton' B&W case.
Old 01-19-13, 01:35 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I see there are some folks interested in packing their folder
in a suitcase that is not oversized, maybe this can help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQNU2DKiWw
Old 01-19-13, 01:42 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So now I play the waiting game. Everything is paid for, BF has my sizing info and specs so they should start building my NWT in a couple of weeks. The bike should get to me towards the end of February so I'll at least have a couple of months to put it through it's paces before I take it on it's true maiden voyage.

I sold the trailer that I made previously to accommodate a Citizen Miami and am now working on making a flight-case/trailer for the BF NWT.

We did this last summer (started two summers ago). Good thing is you can use the trailer base with a flatbed also. How are you making the towbar of the trailer? We filled the tube with fine sand (for sandblasting) and plugged the ends, made some sort of jig by screwing wood to a solid table I have and bent it there.

Edit: First generation trailers https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ers+on+folders

Towbars and some wheels have been upgraded since.

Last edited by badmother; 01-19-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 01:59 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Congratulations on ordering the new bike.

Are you sure that the bike sized for you will fit? I believe that there is more than one size F'Lite.

On the Yak there was a discussion some time ago regarding fitting modern Bike Friday's into 62" suitcases.
Thanks. I'm stoked about the BF NWT. I haven't bought something of this caliber since the 80's when assembling a Campy Nouvo Record equipped DeRosa back in '84 (or so) for club racing.

The F'Lite I ordered was the older design 30" (Height: 29.5" , Width: 20" , Depth: 12") with two wheels instead of the newer 31" spinner case. It seems like the one I have is same size as the ones BF sells.

I'll check out the Yak discussion, thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not too worried though, if I was able to make a Miami fit in a smaller case than the F'Lite, I'm sure I can make this work for the smaller packing BF.
Old 01-19-13, 02:09 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
We did this last summer (started two summers ago). Good thing is you can use the trailer base with a flatbed also. How are you making the towbar of the trailer? We filled the tube with fine sand (for sandblasting) and plugged the ends, made some sort of jig by screwing wood to a solid table I have and bent it there.
Luckily I held onto my jigs and tubing bender (despite my ex-wife's protestations) from when I was racing motorcycles and made my own frames. The sand filled method certainly works a treat in lieu of specialized tools. badmother, you impress me more and more as I read about your DIY/mechanical prowess.
Old 01-19-13, 02:49 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This whole story reminds me of M.M.M.L.C. Mazda Miata Mid Life Crisis. Have fun with yer bike!
Old 01-19-13, 03:05 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by social suicide
This whole story reminds me of M.M.M.L.C. Mazda Miata Mid Life Crisis. Have fun with yer bike!

?
Without reference links this makes no sense.
Old 01-19-13, 03:24 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
?
Without reference links this makes no sense.
Here is the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy

Keep us updated with the bike and trailer
Old 01-19-13, 03:36 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Anybody knows if a Brompton will fit in this case? Minor disassembly is OK.

It's half the weight and half the price of a 'Brompton' B&W case.
Kam:

My M6L fits into my F'Lite. The only thing I have to do is remove the seatpost. Then it drops right in.

If you're looking for one, I'll sell you mine for a great deal. Only used once.
Old 01-19-13, 03:38 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Here is the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy

Keep us updated with the bike and trailer

LOL!

Yeah, just trying to put a troll to work. Always play dumb... sometimes one needs to stoop to their level for entertainment.

I'll post updates for sure... that's a given.
Old 02-03-13, 12:41 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not trolling, I just like Mazda Miatas. My latest Miata:
Old 02-03-13, 12:46 PM
smallwheeler

want

Originally Posted by social suicide
not trolling, i just like mazda miatas. My latest miata:

Last edited by smallwheeler; 02-03-13 at 01:22 PM. Reason: !
Old 02-15-13, 08:48 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to bump back near the top for next week's review/first impressions... got a FedEx tracking receipt... NWT expected to arrive at my door Wednesday to be followed a few minutes after unboxing by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU&t=27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
guhhh.jpg (11.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-15-13, 10:45 AM
loubapache

Bikes: 2015 Windsor Oxford; 2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1999 Kona Lava Dome; 1992 Trek 520 Tour; 1980 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1956 Robin Hood; 198x Worksman Industrial Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats!

Now you have the whole spectrum covered from the finest small BF folding to the bullet proof large Flying Pigeon.

I read somewhere that you were concerned about the 3-speed IGH durability. I have quite a few of these and they all run fine. I have a folding frame coming with a coaster brake single speed rear wheel and I am going to put a 3-speed IGH in it.

BTW, is the 83 Diesel with an "iron 5" engine in it? These W123 platform cars can run a looong time. If it is a wagon, then it is very desirable. I used to have an 87 wagon (W124 series) with a 6 cylinder alloy (head) engine and that was a very fast diesel wagon.
Old 02-15-13, 11:04 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I trust the old SA AW 3-speeds... it's really the more modern 5+ speeds that I hear horror stories about and worry me.

My diesel is the 240 sedan (W123)... the four banger and an oddity for the USA as it has a 4-spd manual tranny. I rarely drive it now (my only car) but it has about 380K miles on it and still runs great... stone reliable. It would be nice if it were a wagon but I removed the rear seat so it's easier to load my 4X10 and 1X15 bass rig to gigs or haul large stuff in.
Old 02-15-13, 01:26 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you are going to be restless for a few days, like a child before x-mas .

And- if you feel remotely related to that guy in the film you may want to get one of those saddles without a nose...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.