Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cycling Pack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cycling Pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 10:19 PM
aaronmichael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Pack

Hello Everyone,

I started working at a bicycle shop this summer and of course I commute to the bike shop by cycling. Takes roughly the same time as driving, don't have to worry about parking, doesn't use any gas, and is great for my health. It's about an 8.5 mile ride. Anyway, both for commuting to work and commuting to school for the past 3 years I've just been using a JanSport backpack that I've had for at least 7 years. It's a simple and sturdy backpack but not really very stylish. Now that school is starting, I'm looking for something more cycle specific and was wondering if anyone out there had any recommendations. The ride to school is about 6 miles. I live in Southern California so it's usually pretty sunny, some rain during the winter. I need something to maybe put some spare clothes in, my laptop in, spare tube, some tools, CO2 inflator, and possibly some books. I've been looking at Timbuk2, Osprey, and some other brands. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-11, 11:05 PM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tidy Cat!!!!!!

otherwise known as 'back-savers'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01754.jpg (59.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-28-11, 12:00 AM
deadend273

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you rather have a messenger bag or a backpack with two shoulder straps?
Old 08-28-11, 12:06 AM
aaronmichael

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never tried a messenger bag before so I'm open to either option. I was probably leaning more towards a backpack though.
Old 08-28-11, 01:12 AM
Rion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been biking with a jansport for the past 2 years now and it was a pretty terrible choice. I'm the type of person who actually likes riding in the rain, and my bag is designed with a big open pocket with no zippers or velco. Also, the bag isn't waterproof, but the material is fine enough that water leaks out very slowly. so some days I'll be biking out in a storm, come home, drop my backpack, and dump a gallon of water onto the carpet

I've debated using a messenger bag to save my back from a lot of sweat, but I find biking with a messenger bag too awkward for my liking. I've been coveting a rack & pack from Mountain Equipment co-op

The bag: https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...ng-pannier.jsp

The rack: https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...nnier-rack.jsp

I wanted to get a bag with a hydration bladder in it, but they always make them too small and I'll probably end up just buying the parts and building it into the bag

Also, if you're carrying books, I highly suggest getting a waterproof bag with a strap that goes across your body. you'll look like a dork, but you'll save your books and your back from damage in the long run
Old 08-28-11, 01:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by hammandegger
Tidy Cat!!!!!!

I couldn't get out my front door with that setup.
Old 08-28-11, 01:29 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a student as well i'm on a budget. To solve my commuting problem i carry a milk crate on the bike. Very cheap and saves my back. Here is what my set up looks like:

Old 08-28-11, 02:03 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
think the OP said stylish! lol
Old 08-28-11, 05:57 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard good things about Mission Workshop...
Old 08-28-11, 11:52 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tidy Cat!!!!!!

I used a 1/3 sheet orbital sander on mine much nicer than having the back pack on, which results in sweaty back pack and shirt.

You can always fit a back pack in the buckets for carrying stuff while walking around.
Old 08-28-11, 10:24 PM
neotheone

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tidy Cat!!!!!!

Dude your "Bumper" stickers are awesome, I wish I had the balls to proclaim my stonerism on my ride, but I'm terrified of florida cops. Don't know how you do it.

Do you really ride that to work?
Old 08-29-11, 12:06 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neotheone
Dude your "Bumper" stickers are awesome, I wish I had the balls to proclaim my stonerism on my ride, but I'm terrified of florida cops. Don't know how you do it.

Do you really ride that to work?
yeah i ride it to work

but i am not a stoner

i don't even drink

i used to own a mobile headshop, and i still have a crapload of stickers

so i put the stickers to work on my buckets
Old 08-29-11, 12:16 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I got hassled by a cop once while wearing a weed shirt. I hadn't been stoned in years! I just put it on to take out the trash didn't think anyone would see me wearing it. Murphy's Law!
Old 08-29-11, 12:43 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
If you want a messenger bag, the Timbuk2 is a good priced way to go. Be sure to get the shoulder strap pad with the bag.

If you want a backpack, I would go with a military CamelBak
https://camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs.aspx
The Urban Transport or Linchpin might be good sizes for you. Plus you have hydration with you both riding and in class.

Last edited by CB HI; 08-29-11 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 03:02 AM
Rion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I got hassled by a cop once while wearing a weed shirt. I hadn't been stoned in years! I just put it on to take out the trash didn't think anyone would see me wearing it. Murphy's Law!
It's a real shame that things like this still happen in today's day and age. If a cop saw someone wearing a Budweiser shirt and a jack daniels hat walking down the street with a 12 pack they wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

Originally Posted by CB HI
If you want a messenger bag, the Timbuk2 is a good priced way to go. Be sure to get the shoulder strap pad with the bag.

If you want a backpack, I would go with a military CamelBak
https://camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs.aspx
The Urban Transport or Linchpin might be good sizes for you. Plus you have hydration with you both riding and in class.
holy crap I'm adding the urban assault XL to my wishlist. I love army kit and this solves my problem of having a hydration pack large enough to actually carry stuff. Question would be how easy would it be to convert such a bag to fit on a rack?
Old 08-29-11, 06:39 AM
SER71

Bikes: All-City Mr. Pink, Kona Jake CX, Niner ROS9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpack

I have this Novarra commuter backpack from REI. Lots of room, place for your u-lock. Also, it has a stowable rain cover in the bottom. It does however tend to make your back sweaty. It works for me because I cannot use panniers because of my big feet.

Old 08-31-11, 12:24 AM
hammandegger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't get out my front door with that setup.
i just barely get in and out of doors at home and at work. And with these buckets, using the racks on the front of the buses is out.
Old 08-31-11, 12:30 AM
hammandegger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
I used a 1/3 sheet orbital sander on mine
So you sanded the buckets? I used an electric grinder to grind down one side on each bucket. It made a heck of a mess and there were piles of melted yellow plastic all over the place. Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 08-31-11, 12:34 AM
hammandegger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hassled a long time ago when I was wearing some kind of weed ball cap. I think it was in Ohio. The potential is always there and I guess it could happen at any time. I haven't had any problems with the stickers so far in my area, but you never know what could happen.
Old 08-31-11, 10:12 AM
bikeEMT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SER71
I have this Novarra commuter backpack from REI. Lots of room, place for your u-lock. Also, it has a stowable rain cover in the bottom. It does however tend to make your back sweaty. It works for me because I cannot use panniers because of my big feet.

I just got this one on Saturday. Its on sale at REI right now. At the sale price it was hard to look at anything else. Its pretty comfortable and has plenty of room and pockets.
Old 08-31-11, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Messenger bag is A style.. but hauling things all the time on your back gets old quick.
particularly in a city built on a desert. Summer = over 100F
Old 08-31-11, 10:59 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Messenger bag is A style.. but hauling things all the time on your back gets old quick.
particularly in a city built on a desert. Summer = over 100F
Word. I think most people end up switching to a rack because literally carrying a pack is a pain.
Old 08-31-11, 03:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

With up to 20 lbs of load, my pack is pretty darn comfortable while riding. Even up to 30 it ain't bad. And I can still bunnyhop my bike - not destroy my rear rim on train tracks!

Speaking as someone with 2 sets panniers, a couple of backpacks and a trailer I use a pack for most loads and only think "Oh, I better take the saddle bags today" (or trailer) when it's a heavy or big load. Panniers and trailers both present maneuverability, portage and parking penalties. For me, panniers and trailers are definitely for special occasions, not everyday items.

Here's a pic from weekend before last's pannier ride. Trailer woulda been nice this ride but mine is a little wide for the very narrow Interstate Bridge that I crossed twice enroute.

I know it's hard to tell but my back pack is actually strapped to the top of the rack here. (I really need to get another trunk bag someday.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-31-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-31-11, 10:59 PM
hammandegger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With up to 20 lbs of load, my pack is pretty darn comfortable while riding. Even up to 30 it ain't bad. And I can still bunnyhop my bike - not destroy my rear rim on train tracks!

Speaking as someone with 2 sets panniers, a couple of backpacks and a trailer I use a pack for most loads and only think "Oh, I better take the saddle bags today" (or trailer) when it's a heavy or big load. Panniers and trailers both present maneuverability, portage and parking penalties. For me, panniers and trailers are definitely for special occasions, not everyday items.

Here's a pic from weekend before last's pannier ride. Trailer woulda been nice this ride but mine is a little wide for the very narrow Interstate Bridge that I crossed twice enroute.

I know it's hard to tell but my back pack is actually strapped to the top of the rack here. (I really need to get another trunk bag someday.

What do you use the giant stick for?