Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Riding a bike to work and being sweaty and smelly?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 04:51 PM
Bergman202

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I don't know if it has been discussed, so I apologize if it has.
I was curious how you all deal with the sweat and smell when riding a bike to work. I really want to start riding my bike, but I can't work with customers all stinky.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-11, 05:33 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Under-arm deoderant.

I don't have far to go, temps. are never very high and my work doesn't involve interacting with customers so for me it's not really a problem.

I could imagine if I was overweight, had a long distance to cycle and the local climate was hot and humid there would be a problem. In that case having somewhere to wash and change my clothes would be useful. Having bike-friendly employers also helps.
Old 09-17-11, 05:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'll take that as a casual, exploring options kind of question. So in that spirit I'll tell you that although it varies - a lot, depending on your conditioning, the climate, the distance and route, the bicycle, work environment - it's generally not an insurmountable obstacle. The best advice is a test run on your day off. Assess your condition at arrival and then determine what you could do about it.
Old 09-17-11, 07:14 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Many options based on distances and climate. FWIW I live in the Deep South, you sweat, or in the case of women, glisten If you practice proper personal hygiene you shouldn't smell, take time to cool down when you get to work, change shirts.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-17-11, 08:34 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a few suggestions:
1. Merino wool does not get stinky like man-made materials - great material for riding jerseys, etc.
2. Ride slower so you sweat less.
3. Bring change of clothing on hot days.
Old 09-17-11, 08:40 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Like everybody says--shower before leaving, deodorant, cool down and change clothes after you arrive on a hot hot day. Do those simple things and you might sweat but you won't stink.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-17-11, 08:42 PM
Mult47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any gym near your work? I have a branch of the Y 4 blocks from my office. I ride there (7.5 miles), shower & then ride on to the office. I keep extra dress shoes at the office to cut down on what I have to carry.
Old 09-17-11, 09:00 PM
robbyrocks12345

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always leave about 20 mins earlier, so I have time to cool off and get un-sweaty. For smell, on hot days a change of clothes, for normal days a bottle of cologne.
Old 09-17-11, 09:11 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Use some of the Axe products. People will be begging you to stay sweaty.
Old 09-17-11, 09:39 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You cant even smell farts where I work, it's 40 degrees F to keep food fresh.
Old 09-17-11, 11:17 PM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in St. Petersburg Florida and the humidity and heat here are at times almost unbearable. Even when I ride at night, the humidity level is oppressive. The first thing I do is shave the hair off of my body. That act alone makes me feel 5 degrees cooler in any environment. Have a bike where you can put racks and panniers so that you can carry a complete change of clothes, especially undergarments.

When I arrive at work, I clean up in the bathroom. The less hair there is around areas, the easier it is to clean up. You get the picture.
I also stash my deoderent at work. I couldn't sit around at work all day in the same underwear that I rode into work in, but I'm not knocking that if that's what people do.
Old 09-18-11, 03:47 AM
ReinderDijkhuis
GNU cyclist

Bikes: Koga Miyata Adventurer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deodorant before leaving, ride in merino wool during fall winter and as little clothing as possible during summer, freshen up and reapply deodorant upon arrival, change into office clothes. Deodorant goes on the underarms, back of the neck, forehead and anywhere else above the waist that I might sweat.

I work in a bike friendly office where we can get bikes as in-kind, tax-free bonuses every three years. The boss is an avid cycling lover (sponsors local competitions) and our office is located in the old Fongers head office in Groningen, NL. I expect they'll forgive me if I show up in a cloud of steam every once in a while.
Old 09-18-11, 10:21 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bergman202
Hey everyone,
I don't know if it has been discussed, so I apologize if it has.
I was curious how you all deal with the sweat and smell when riding a bike to work. I really want to start riding my bike, but I can't work with customers all stinky.
Any suggestions?
Lots of good information on the commuting forum.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ommuting-Needs)
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 09-18-11, 10:58 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ReinderDijkhuis
Deodorant before leaving, ride in merino wool during fall winter and as little clothing as possible during summer, freshen up and reapply deodorant upon arrival, change into office clothes. Deodorant goes on the underarms, back of the neck, forehead and anywhere else above the waist that I might sweat.
You put on deodorant *before* you ride? You must have some uppity squirrels in your neighbourhood.
Old 09-18-11, 11:46 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a shared office/lab with lots of foot traffic, so wearing smelly clothes or having them out in the open isn't an option. I keep a towel, soap and shampoo at work and do a quick towel-bath in a bathroom when I need to. Fortunately, I was able to snag a light metal cabinet with tall doors that was going to surplus a few years ago. I installed some clothes hooks inside it, and my smelly/wet cycling and running gear hangs there during the work day, closed away. It's big enough that wet stuff will gradually dry inside it, and it just looks like a random supply cabinet- unless someone opens it and gets a surprise.

Last edited by rnorris; 09-18-11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 02:28 PM
ReinderDijkhuis
GNU cyclist

Bikes: Koga Miyata Adventurer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
You put on deodorant *before* you ride? You must have some uppity squirrels in your neighbourhood.
Continental European squirrels are actually kind of shy and not that bright. But I put on deodorant before I ride because it's also an antiperspirant, so it should (in theory) attack the sweaty smell at the source.
Old 09-18-11, 02:35 PM
RaleighBikeGuy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
A few things that haven't been mentioned that I find make a big difference.

Practice getting your bike locked up quickly so you can get inside quickly and cool off. I find that the sweat really starts pouring down my face when I'm fussing around with the lock in the sun. L

eave time to cool down during and after the ride, ride very slowly and coast a lot of the last 5-10 minutes of your commute, then leave 5-10 minutes too cool off (preferably in an air-conditioned bathroom).

I find that wiping down my under-arms, back, buttocks, etc. with a towel (or paper towels) in the bathroom stall makes a huge difference even if I don't have a change of clothes
Old 09-18-11, 03:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
^^^ Exactly. Keep an extra shirt handy just in case. Plus if the ride is short, say 1-3 miles as I suspect may be the case with OP, the whole ride can be "ride very slowly and coast a lot" without losing much time as commutes go and get there without sweating at all.
Old 09-18-11, 06:01 PM
Bergman202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright! Thanks everybody for the tips. I live down in Georgia and know I get pretty gross, so I just thought I would ask the pros before I did anything. I think I am going to make the commute on a day off for a mach trial and go from there. I feel like I will most likely end up doing a combination of all these things to be as fresh as possible. Thanks again y'all!
Old 09-18-11, 07:46 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ReinderDijkhuis
Continental European squirrels are actually kind of shy and not that bright. But I put on deodorant before I ride because it's also an antiperspirant, so it should (in theory) attack the sweaty smell at the source.
North American squirrels aren't noted for their high IQs either.

Isn't sweating while you ride a good thing? Tends to cool you off.

Occasionally I've passed a group of cyclists (usually female...) and after they are long gone notice the gag-inducing smell of cologne or some such.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 09-18-11, 08:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
North American squirrels aren't noted for their high IQs either.

Isn't sweating while you ride a good thing? Tends to cool you off.

Occasionally I've passed a group of cyclists (usually female...) and after they are long gone notice the gag-inducing smell of cologne or some such.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Like a lot of places, my employer now has "no fragrance" policy. If you have any odor at all--whether natural funk or perfume--you can be sent home to shower. And it is enforced.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-19-11, 04:08 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergman202
Alright! Thanks everybody for the tips. I live down in Georgia and know I get pretty gross, so I just thought I would ask the pros before I did anything. I think I am going to make the commute on a day off for a mach trial and go from there. I feel like I will most likely end up doing a combination of all these things to be as fresh as possible. Thanks again y'all!
What part of GA? I currently have a project in Jesup that I visit once every couple of weeks. I commuted by bike for a while in the Charleston, SC area...talk about humidity! Only place I have ever worked where there was a heat index at midnight.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-19-11, 06:40 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in WNY, and by-and-large, don't need to worry about the "smelly" part. If you shower, and are clean, sweat wont make you stink.

I do a quick bird-bath in the bathroom (I get here a little earlier), to help cool down, and get rid of the red flush. I haven't had to bring a change of clothes either (I don't ride in the rain to work, I bus the whole way). Or, I do a half-commute: I bike in to the "half-way" point where I then hop onto the bus. By the time I get to work, I'm cooled off already.
Old 09-19-11, 07:38 PM
Bergman202

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
What part of GA? I currently have a project in Jesup that I visit once every couple of weeks. I commuted by bike for a while in the Charleston, SC area...talk about humidity! Only place I have ever worked where there was a heat index at midnight.

Aaron

Currently I am in Milledgeville,Ga (Baldwin County).....I am from Macon though....And the humidity is indeed quite high haha
Old 09-19-11, 07:42 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
OTOH, don't you think we are just obsessive about body odor?

I always wonder how nations could be built without sweat?

I imagine that our sensitivity to perspiration might be a sign that we've become a prissified society.

Doesn't anyone else think this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.