Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Quickest way to fix a flat while commuting.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Quickest way to fix a flat while commuting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 07:09 PM
Guitarrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I keep mine in the little plastic box my patch kit comes in. stays dry.
That's funny, that's right where I stuffed it.
Old 09-19-11, 07:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
There's one circumstance in which I find patching easier, and probably quicker, than replacing the tube. That's when you get a puncture flat and can easily identify the affected area (i.e. - there's a wire sticking out of the tire, or you can find the air leak before the tire is totally flat). When that happens, if you move quickly enough, you can unseat a small section of the tire, pull about a six or eight inch section of tube out and locate the puncture, patch it, put the small section of tube back in and reseat the tire and inflate. I prefer this to wrestling with removing the rear wheel on the side of the road, replacing the tube, etc -- but this option is not always possible.
+1
I just did this a week ago.
I put on a Park self-adhesive patch, then permanently patched it when I arrived home.
Old 09-19-11, 08:58 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Marathon Plus are about as puncture resistant as proper tyres get. They resist bits of metal, nails, etc. The downside (apart from a bit of weight) is that they are almost impossible to remove or replace by the roadside.
Thanks for linking to that video. The part about securing the tire to the rim with toe straps, zip ties or string once you've got the first bead mounted is a good tip.
Old 09-19-11, 09:06 PM
LeftinFlint

Bikes: '12 C-dale HT; '89 C-dale sr300; Trek 820

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cotton ball trick is interesting. How do you use it? Do you rub it on the tire and see where is snags or leave bits of cotton?
Old 09-20-11, 03:01 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Yep, on the inside, it'll find anything sharp that your fingers might miss.
Old 09-20-11, 06:28 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jezmellors
^^ eh?!!
The OP asked what the quickest way fix a flat is. I'll put up $1000 to your $100 that I can trash you in a tube swap using my toolless method. Simple reality.
Old 09-20-11, 08:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
The OP asked what the quickest way fix a flat is. I'll put up $1000 to your $100 that I can trash you in a tube swap using my toolless method. Simple reality.
not doubting you, just having a hard time visualizing what you describe. You wanna make a video for us?

Old 09-20-11, 09:20 PM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
I use Specialized Armadillo Nimbus'. I've got over 3500 miles on them since I bought them and I've only had one flat. Great commuting tire. You can ride thru anything on these. +2 on carrying an extra tube. Better to switch out the tubes and fix the other one later.
+1 On the Nimbus Tires. I have those too. However my Rims didn't come with rim tape, so after mile 740 the spokes eventually weekend the tube enough to where i had a flat on my front tire. I bought some rubber rim tape, hope it will help me.
Old 09-21-11, 02:18 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy tiger, i just can't picture what you mean.
Old 09-21-11, 02:42 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off I try to run good tires. I just bought 4 schwalbe marathon supremes. For what I paid for them they better work.
I carry a spare tube. [I don't patch the old ones, I pitch them].
A tool kit.
Some rags [the gloves I read about in a previous post will be added to my kit]
2 lights [I commute at night].
I carry a pump and a CO2 cartridge.
Plus a phone and money in case something happens and I need to call a damn cab.

I always leave early in case I need time to fix a breakdown [which enables me to ride at a more leisurely pace].

On weekends you can get practice dealing with rear wheels--seating and unseating the wheel. Turn the bike over and take off the back wheel, and while it's off you can clean up the cassette area a little and check your hubs.

The front wheel QR have lawyer lips and you have to turn the QR nut counterclockwise a couple of times so it will clear the lawyer lips in the front fork. The rear wheel should pop out as soon as you release the QR.

Your LBS should have free classes on weekends that deal with changing flats.

I hate changing them on the way to work in the dark. That's why I bought $90 tires.
Old 09-21-11, 04:47 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
marathons.

off topic, but is it legal to ride on the shoulder? if so, can you request that it be properly maintained (read: cleaned).

if i was doing that regularly, i'd get it in writing from the city or police that the proper place for a bicycle on that road is on the shoulder. otherwise, they could say that it's your fault for being rear-ended or something... because it's meant as a break-down lane, not a travel lane.

once you get the first thing in writing, then it's also easier to chase them up to have a sweeper go over it as needed and maybe even put up some signs to drive safely and watch for bicycles.
Old 09-21-11, 06:43 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
off topic, but is it legal to ride on the shoulder? if so, can you request that it be properly maintained (read: cleaned).
Yes it's legal to ride on the shoulder. You can request anything you want to request
Old 09-21-11, 08:48 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
steal: Can you post a video of that please?
Old 09-21-11, 08:49 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would also add that if you are changing out a flat in the rain, dont try to patch it. Self adhesive patches do not stick in the rain. Now I prefer clue patches. They are more durable.
Old 09-21-11, 09:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you know where the puncture is you can remove just a portion of the tire bead
to get the tube out , and then leave the wheel on, and put a sticky patch on the tube.
Old 09-21-11, 09:45 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
not doubting you, just having a hard time visualizing what you describe. You wanna make a video for us?
Originally Posted by jezmellors
Easy tiger, i just can't picture what you mean.
NP. I will see if my good friend can help me out with this. I am much better at building bikes than videos. She should be able to video a the process. I swear to you though that you will find that you can swap a tube in under 60 seconds.....
Old 09-21-11, 01:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
NP. I will see if my good friend can help me out with this. I am much better at building bikes than videos. She should be able to video a the process. I swear to you though that you will find that you can swap a tube in under 60 seconds.....
sweet, looking forward to being able to do that. my last change was a big mess.

Old 09-21-11, 03:48 PM
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE

Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest that you carry a spare tube tire pump and a cell phone that way you can call youre empoyer letting them know that you will be late. That way it will buy you a bit of time untill you can get the flat fixd and back on the ride.
Old 09-21-11, 06:43 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_1961
I would suggest that you carry a spare tube tire pump and a cell phone that way you can call youre empoyer letting them know that you will be late. That way it will buy you a bit of time untill you can get the flat fixd and back on the ride.
I would suggest that you stop bolding all your posts.
Old 09-22-11, 02:25 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hammandegger
I don't patch the old [tubes], I pitch them.
How wasteful!

Anyway, now that you're running Marathons you'll be throwing a lot fewer away.
Old 09-22-11, 05:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha

if i was doing that regularly, i'd get it in writing from the city or police that the proper place for a bicycle on that road is on the shoulder. otherwise, they could say that it's your fault for being rear-ended or something... because it's meant as a break-down lane, not a travel lane.

once you get the first thing in writing, then it's also easier to chase them up to have a sweeper go over it as needed and maybe even put up some signs to drive safely and watch for bicycles.
I believe you will have better luck with a request that free beer and pizza be delivered by DOT or police personnel to you, and would be responded to just as quickly as your shoulder riding/cleaning suggestions.
Old 09-22-11, 05:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I can't get past step 1:
1. Stand the wheel upright with it sideways across your body.

Huh?
Old 09-22-11, 05:55 AM
grimslade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I can't get past step 1:

Huh?
Clearly, you are supposed to be lying under the bike wheel, perpendicular to the angle of the bike.
Old 09-22-11, 08:52 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I can't get past step 1:

Huh?
Just getting past step 1 isn't going to help much. Have you read steps 2-4?
Old 09-22-11, 09:16 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyhmltn
I need to be able to fix a flat on the way to work fairly quickly, so as not to be late. Is there any kind of "fix a flat" I should look at. I can change the tire on lunch, or after work, and on the way home I can take time to change it on the shoulder if need be. Any suggestions for on the way to work flats?
A quick fix with no glue patches in bad conditions is just as likely to require another repair shortly thereafter. Get a good pump so the time pumping is reduced. Get proficient at removing the wheel, checking for puncture, removing tire/tube, checking tire, reinstalling tube/tire, pumping and putting stuff away. More puncture resistant tires might be worth getting as well as giving yourself an extra ten minutes so you have ten minutes extra to cool off at work or once in a blue moon repair a flat tire. Carry two tubes, gloves.

When I was a young racer I could change a tube in minutes with a frame pump. Course it helps when a friend is rolling up the old tube and putting it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.