Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Wipeout Story

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle Wipeout Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 04:09 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Bicycle Wipeout Story

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Thanks to everyone who helped me after my bicycle wreck

• Letter from James R. "Chip" Jones | Cheyenne
  • 11 hrs ago
Editor's note: An exception to the 350-word limit has been made for the following letter.

My name is James R. Jones (Chip). I'm 65 and disabled. I've lived in Cheyenne on House Avenue for 14 years. On June 19, after noon, I took my bike to the post office.

I live on the other side of the Warren Avenue railroad overpass, off East 10th Avenue. I pushed my bicycle up the overpass sidewalk, and when I reached the top, I got on my bike to coast down. I started going really fast. I put on the brakes, but I had no brakes....
Read More :

Bicycle Downhill Wipeout
Old 08-05-23, 04:46 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Quite an article. Author's mention to wear a helmet isn't entirely off-base, but more useful than the pads they recommend one might consider riding the bike a bit in ordinary circumstances to verify everything still works, before doing something extreme like pushing it to the top of a hill and coasting down.

I guess in addition the every ride ending with a climb that could be an argument for not buying a house on top of a hill.
Old 08-10-23, 07:06 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
I have questions about the apparently very unsafe electrical cord at home too. Good reminder to check brakes regularly though before riding.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 08-11-23, 05:13 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 134 Posts
Did he become disabled do to accident, or it was a precondition?
Old 08-11-23, 05:54 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
meh, don't take, care of your bike and the result is often interesting.
glad you decided to not ride any more.
Old 08-13-23, 04:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
BITD (way back) when I used to lead trips for an organization, we taught the "2 minute bike check" which we encouraged doing EVERY time we started out. There are multiple versions of this, but it including a quick bounce to listen for the rattle of loose items, checking that rear racks were secure (loose racks were a significant cause of accidents) checking brakes, tire pressure, handlebar tightness, etc. Most experienced riders abbreviated this and got it down to a few seconds.

50+ years later I still do a test stop (or slow) within the first 50' of every ride. I don't believe it ever "saved my life", however it has caught an open brake release a few times. IMO if you do nothing else, a second or so is a cheap price for the confidence it offers.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: