Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

De Fiets is Niets*

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

De Fiets is Niets*

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 03:46 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
De Fiets is Niets*

Hello friends !
I would like to share with you this podcast episode that walks through the history of cycling activism in the netherlands. The full episode is in audio form so don't miss the play button.
We need courage and inspiration to fight off this car pandemic from our cities.

99 percentile

Today the Netherlands has a reputation as a kind of bicycling paradise. Dutch people own more bicycles per capita than any other place in the world. The country has more than 20,000 miles of dedicated cycling paths. International policymakers make pilgrimages to the Netherlands to learn how to create good bike infrastructure.

But none of that was inevitable. It wasn’t something that magically emerged from Dutch culture.

In fact, in the 1960s and 70s, it looked like the Netherlands would follow the same path as the United States. The Dutch had fallen in love with cars and they were rebuilding their cities to make room for them. It was only because of a multi-decade pro-cycling movement that cars didn’t take over the country entirely.
* the bicycle is nothing
Old 09-22-23, 07:32 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
99 Percent Invisible is great. I missed this episode, thanks for the heads up.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 09-23-23, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Netherlands is just under 42,000 km2. The contiguous US is a tad over 8,000,000 km2. Needs for the national defense being able to move quickly to where needed, were some of the reasons used to justify the early highways and later the interstates for motorcars here in the US. Which is one of the reasons we are so motor vehicle centric.

Though I do admire the cycling infrastructure there and elsewhere in Europe. As well as the rail system in Europe.
Old 09-23-23, 03:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Netherlands is just under 42,000 km2. The contiguous US is a tad over 8,000,000 km2. Needs for the national defense being able to move quickly to where needed, were some of the reasons used to justify the early highways and later the interstates for motorcars here in the US. Which is one of the reasons we are so motor vehicle centric.

Though I do admire the cycling infrastructure there and elsewhere in Europe. As well as the rail system in Europe.
The question still remains: If America was not too big & spread out to build the railroads that linked the coasts, and if a town with a population of a handful of thousands could support and utilize a trolly/streetcar/tram in the before times...Why is it now, with a larger and population we are now suddenly too big, & we can not support such investments?

It's a good question. Railroads did build America & every town had a San Francisco type trolly. What happened?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: