Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist couple killed by lumber falling off a truck in NorCal

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist couple killed by lumber falling off a truck in NorCal

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 03:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of accident. It is 100% preventable. As long as we expect this and other kinds of accidents to happen we as a society are condoning these bad actions.
Your premise appears to be that all "accidents" are preventable bad actions, and this "accident" is just another example that "we as a society" should expect because "we condone these bad actions."

What exactly are you advocating "we" do about this?
Old 10-24-23, 03:59 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Strange discussion. Some people seem to be detached from reality.

This is USA. In USA your life is worth as much as you have yourself insured it for, and not a penny more. You insure yourself and then you go do whatever you want: ride a bicycle on a road, skydive, climb the face of El Capitan etc. That's the short and the long of it. Incidents like that have been handed over for resolution to insurance companies very long time ago. Nobody else will investigate it. Nobody will present anything to the DA. (LOL! "DA"! This instantly reminded me of that "Leads? They Got Us Working in Shifts!" moment from "Big Lebowski")

Keep that in mind, then decide whether you can afford it. That trucking company did not care to secure their load because they can afford not to care. The same applies to you. That's all there is to it.
Very puzzling perspective. If true, then why does the US lead the world in litigation? it's not because people insure themselves. It's because people sue trucking companies and their equivalents and the counter party's insurance pays.

Old 10-24-23, 05:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your premise appears to be that all "accidents" are preventable bad actions, and this "accident" is just another example that "we as a society" should expect because "we condone these bad actions."

What exactly are you advocating "we" do about this?
Because according to people knowledgable in such things, all "accidents" are preventable.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_events

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_analysis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai...dent_analysis)

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 10-24-23, 06:04 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Very puzzling perspective. If true, then why does the US lead the world in litigation? it's not because people insure themselves. It's because people sue trucking companies and their equivalents and the counter party's insurance pays.
I saw a video a couple of years ago from the Netherlands. It was about a young man losing control of his pickup truck and pinning several children riding their bicycles against the far side of a bridge retaining wall. They took his truck from him and forced him to take a 6 month long training course so they were assured he might be capable of actually driving on their roads. The city leaders and the people who plan and design roads then attempted to design the road so this was not going to or be less likely to happen. They are actually more concerned about saving lives through education and design of their roads. We base our laws on blame instead of responsibility and solving problems for all road users.
Likes For Rick:
Old 10-24-23, 06:20 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
In theory virtually all accidents are preventable. In reality, stuff happens.

Some accidents could easily have been avoided with just a modicum of care. We can work on getting better with that sort of error. But human beings are too intrinsically flawed to come close to preventing all accidents.

In this case I don't know enough about the chain of events leading up to the accident to know if it could readily have been prevented. The driver or those loading the rig may have been careless or there may have been unforeseen equipment failures.
Old 10-24-23, 07:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I saw a video a couple of years ago from the Netherlands. It was about a young man losing control of his pickup truck and pinning several children riding their bicycles against the far side of a bridge retaining wall. They took his truck from him and forced him to take a 6 month long training course so they were assured he might be capable of actually driving on their roads. The city leaders and the people who plan and design roads then attempted to design the road so this was not going to or be less likely to happen. They are actually more concerned about saving lives through education and design of their roads. We base our laws on blame instead of responsibility and solving problems for all road users.
You didn't understand the point of my post, I guess.
Old 10-24-23, 08:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not commenting about responsibility because I have no idea of the specifics. However every once in a while I hear news like this that reminds me that life is a lottery, and sometimes your number comes up.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-24-23, 09:12 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
You didn't understand the point of my post, I guess.
I can give you many more examples were the american attitude of oh well do do happens is not the norm in most of the world. The almighty car is god to these fools and it never dawns on them how wrong that is until it is one of their own who is taken out. It is a severe attitude problem in this country.
Old 10-24-23, 09:23 PM
MinnMan

I can give you many more examples were the american attitude of oh well do do happens is not the norm in most of the world. The almighty car is god to these fools and it never dawns on them how wrong that is until it is one of their own who is taken out. It is a severe attitude problem in this country.
Yes you could, but you'd be repeating the same simple slogans that make you jolly, rather than actually engaging in a conversation.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-25-23, 09:25 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not commenting about responsibility because I have no idea of the specifics. However every once in a while I hear news like this that reminds me that life is a lottery, and sometimes your number comes up.
We each get just one time when this particular number comes up. But yeah, vehicular accident, lightning strike, incurable cancer, fading away with dementia. We each get one route out of here and for the most part, we don't get to choose when or how. (and those who do choose....well that's a different thread)
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-31-23, 08:45 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Possible, but we don't know this for certain. We don't know when the load shifted, we don't know how the mirrors were adjusted, we don't know how attentive the driver was to his right hand side view mirror.....

Unlikely that a DA would think they could make such a charge stick. Sadly, drivers get acquitted even when the circumstances and evidence are much stronger.
If this was a log truck, aka class A driver, he is legally responsible for load securment. Truck drivers check their mirrors on average every 11 seconds. Mirror adjustment is also the drivers responsibility. No excuses here . That said, being local, log truck drivers tend to be a. holes.
Likes For Bleu:
Old 10-31-23, 08:50 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Yes in the trucking world this is called a "preventable accident".
Old 11-01-23, 07:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleu
...log truck drivers tend to be a. holes.
Not to mention 10" of play in the steering wheel on those janky trucks.
Old 11-22-23, 09:58 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Another argument for not wearing earbuds on the road. We need all of our senses as much as possible.
DITTO!!! Some people, just don't get it. Even my own family members are oblivious to dangers they pose to other by their driving behavior. My elderly mother will write notes on a sticky pad while driving.
Old 11-23-23, 12:48 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Man, I guess when it's your time it's just your time.

I have a friend in Rawlins, Wyoming. Bike racer. It is legal to ride on the Interstate highways there (was legal in 1989 when I was touring through there). The cyclist and his buddy were riding on the shoulder of I-80 when a flatbed semi passed them with a load strapped down with metal bands. Unknown to the driver, one of the bands had come lose and was flopping onto the truck's load, then off over the shoulder, then back again in a cycle of a few seconds each way. The band just happened to go over their heads when the truck passed them at full highway speeds. A couple of seconds either way and they would likely been cut in half. Wasn't their time apparently. They both use mirrors now.

Anyway.....There are...
Wow, you'd have to do a lot of travelling to get much racing done out of Rawlins!!!
Old 11-28-23, 10:44 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Wow, you'd have to do a lot of travelling to get much racing done out of Rawlins!!!
I know he did Pikes Peak a few times. He showed me the race videos.

The winds were so crazy there I would never leave the house. I was about 15 miles East of Rawlins resting under I-80 and eating a snack before heading directly into the wind (fought a fierce cross wind all morning). A pickup truck exited the Interstate and parked under the bridge near me with a fully loaded touring bike in the bed. Passenger got out and dragged his bike from the truck bed, thanked the driver, then headed towards me. I asked him if he was hurt or broken down (I carry all sorts of tools and some parts). He replied "Nah, the wind was killing me." I told him to get the Hell away from me.
Old 11-29-23, 10:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Two dead people should trigger an immediate tox screen of the driver and any logs. I seriously doubt that this will happen. We have state attorneys that are insurance brokers.

Weather or not it is incompetence or apizing the insurance companies there is plenty of it to go around.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety regs require post accident drug and alcohol testing for all fatal accidents regardless of whether a citation is issued. So its highly likely the driver was tested.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-02-23, 01:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Federal Motor Carrier Safety regs require post collision drug and alcohol testing for all fatal crashes regardless of whether a citation is issued. So its highly likely the driver was tested.
FIFY.