Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cleveland

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cleveland

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 07:27 PM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cleveland

Hi All. What is a good place or part of the city to live in Cleveland ohio , near the clinic.
Looking to be not more than 5 miles away or closer. So I can ride to work. Right now I drive a hour each way.I always rode to work up till I loss my job. Now I have a new job in cleveland. I have all ways lived in ohio. So I am ok with the weather. So any help would be great.
Thanks.
Old 08-23-09, 07:39 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would think Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights would be a good choice. There are a lot rental and purchase options, walkable/rideable neighborhoods etc. I work at Case Western Reserve University just down the street from the Clinic, and I would not recommend living in any of the Cleveland neighborhoods in that area.
Old 08-24-09, 12:14 PM
NomadDNA

Bikes: 1984 Claud Butler Brevet; 1994 Bridgestone XO-3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
I would think Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights would be a good choice. There are a lot rental and purchase options, walkable/rideable neighborhoods etc. I work at Case Western Reserve University just down the street from the Clinic, and I would not recommend living in any of the Cleveland neighborhoods in that area.
Listen to sonatageek

Anything south of Mayfield Rd, and East of Woodhill/E. 93rd will be a good spot. I work at the local bike shop in Cleveland Heights (Cain Park Bicycle), and I've encountered a pretty good commuting/biking population in the neighborhood.

Cleveland's use of salt during the winter is a problem, though: not only is the city running out of supply, but it's awful on bikes. I recommend you set up a commuter bike with disposable components, or a fixie so as to avoid the problem all together.

Enjoy Cleveland: it's not as bad as most people say it is.

Last edited by NomadDNA; 08-24-09 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 11:11 PM
playera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're really cool (or younger, no children, urban, etc.) there are a lot of newer apartments and lofts toward downtown or over on the near west side. The Cleveland Clinic is less than five miles (I think) from downtown Cleveland with many good routes. And, if you buy a home in Cleveland, there are tax breaks, etc.
Old 08-25-09, 09:05 AM
wheelsoh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
+1

I'll only add that I would include the entire "Heights" area in the mix, i.e. South Euclid, University Heights & Beachwood. These communities share some good biking characteristics, and including them with Shaker & Cleveland Heights expands the housing and school choices somewhat.

I grew up in Cleveland and did tons of biking there in my teenage years, including regular trips downtown from Beachwood, a 10-mile trip. 5 miles to the University Circle would be a piece of cake from all of those communities.
Old 09-19-09, 09:36 AM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

I think I have found a place at shaker square in cleveland. Thanks everyone for the help.
Thanks Spider.
Old 09-19-09, 10:01 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.walkscore.com/rankings/Cleveland

Looks like the map doesn't include a lot of areas around Cleveland proper that people are recommending.

Still cool to check out, though.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by bmclaughlin807; 09-19-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 06:30 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Cleveland...just in time to watch the Browns win the superbowl
Old 09-19-09, 08:10 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
https://www.walkscore.com/rankings/Cleveland

Looks like the map doesn't include a lot of areas around Cleveland proper that people are recommending.

Still cool to check out, though.
That looks like just the city (those are all Cleveland neighborhoods -- I lived in Old Brooklyn for about 14 years) and not the adjoining suburbs. Really the Heights areas and Lakewood are the most walkable places to live with good city services, nice places to walk (ride to) that are generally pretty darn safe.

Shaker Square is in Cleveland, borders on Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights and should be an enjoyable place to live. Welcome!
Old 09-20-09, 07:22 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadDNA

Enjoy Cleveland: it's not as bad as most people say it is.
I believe that is on the signs as you enter the city.
Old 09-20-09, 01:25 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
I believe that is on the signs as you enter the city.
No, they say "beats the crap out of living in Pittsburgh" on the back side, though. Because it's TRUE!!
Old 09-20-09, 11:11 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
No, they say "beats the crap out of living in Pittsburgh" on the back side, though. Because it's TRUE!!
Maybe, but if you search youtube for "Sam Wyche not in cleveland", I think that is priceless.
Old 09-21-09, 11:33 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Hey spidercyclist, you should check out urbanohio.com. There is a ton of information about Cleveland and it's neighborhoods. It's generally a great all around Ohio forum.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-22-09, 04:36 AM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So, since your new in town, any interest in meeting up with some of the other BF members for a ride? Could do one of the trails that go basically between Cleveland and Akron or something else? If there is interest we could start another thread in the Regional area?
Old 09-22-09, 04:39 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Yeah, I would be up for that.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-22-09, 09:06 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be moving there with the wife in May. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgA...eature=related

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 09-23-09, 08:05 AM
calves2997

Bikes: Litespeed Archon, Ultimate, Palmares, Blade. BMC Pro Machine. Trek 7.3 FX Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Lyndhurst, and commute daily, 10 months out of the year to the Cleveland Clinic. About 12 miles each way, takes me 28 minutes in ( downhill most of the way) and about 45 mins home.

The recommendations above are correct. University and Shaker Heights are nice places to live, but the houses tend to be very old, and if not refurbished need a lot of maintenance to keep up. Also they have some of the highest property taxes int he area, such that a 200k home will pay about 8k in taxes yearly. Then you have the RITA tax rate which is highest in University heights and is 1.5% of your gross taxable income.
So pick your city wisely, because there are very large differences in a small area. Beachwood is porbably the best city in the east side: great schools, very good amenities ( Beachwood water park) and lower taxes then any of the heights districts. Houses can be slightly more expensive, than these other areas, but they are also much newer, on larger plots of land, and have easier access to the highway, great restaurants and shopping ( legacy and Beachwood mall) , and the best supermarket in Ohio ( Giant Eagle at Legacy village).

Just my 0.02.
Old 08-31-11, 12:04 AM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I have been living in Cleveland about a year. It is not a bad ride to work,(about 12 miles round trip) just hilly and sometimes a little crazy. The roads are in really bad shape and people here drive very fast. They need to clear the streets more in the winter time. The pot holes are horrible and I have already gone through 6 tubes and a couple of tires. I am still looking for a better bike shop in my area and wish I was closer to a closer multi-use trail. I have received a promotion at work-I still long for my old job and my old hometown of Akron. I miss being able to jump on a trail in the Akron area after work.
Thanks,
Spider
Old 08-31-11, 01:27 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't know much about cleveland, but.................................

I used to spend a lot of time at Nelson Ledges Quarry Park in Portage County where I was casually referred to as Mr. Bong.

I am from the Columbus, Ohio area and discovered the ledges sometime in the nineties.

I take my hat off to anybody riding around all winter on a bicycle in Ohio, especially in frickin' Cleveland. I used to do it in Columbus, but it has been so long that I don't know if I could get used to it again.

I am so acclimated to heat and humidity that when the temp falls below 70 degrees I get cold, LOL.
Old 08-31-11, 06:08 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
Welcome to Cleveland...just in time to watch the Browns win the superbowl
You need to start posting on the Cleveland.com forums to offset all the doom & gloom surrender monkeys that give up before the first ball of the season is snapped!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-31-11, 05:27 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In all seriousness, I like NE Ohio, and would live there if I had a good job there. Still couldn't be a Browns fan, but the Indians are ok