Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your gear when you go into stores?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 02:00 PM
drummergeek

Bikes: 28,000 mi. Denali road bike, some yellow Raleigh with Reynolds 531c frame, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

What do you do with your gear when you go into stores? Grocery stores, etc.

Do you leave your panniers on the bike? Front and rear lights? Speedometer displays? Helmet and glasses? Gloves? Reflective vest if you use one?

That's a lot of crap to lug around....
Old 09-09-11, 02:06 PM
Malachi292

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry my panniers in with me.

I have two different kinds of panniers: the ones I use for commuting/touring and the ones I use for shopping. The ones for shopping double as useful shopping bags. But, sometimes I stop at a store on the way from work and I'll have my commuters on the bike, I carry them into the store, get a cart, and drop 'em in it.

I pull my cyclometer off the bike and drop it in a pannier. I usually leave my lights on the bike.
Old 09-09-11, 02:11 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My buddy and I were having exact same conversation the other day, while parking at bar (in semi-seedy area).

I leave everything on the bike -- lights, battery, pump, bags, etc. My pannier bags are strapped on very tightly, it's unlikely they would walk away. Most of the rest of the stuff just isn't attractive to pick off for a thief. I can't remember last time something was stolen, it's been years.

The way I figure, if it's replaceable, like a $30 pump or something, it'll get stolen about once a decade or so. By that time, it hardly makes me sad having to replace it. Depends on where you park, too; for instance, outside a grocery store, it's unlikely you'll get hit. Park outside a high school, and better chance a kid will walk off with your pump.
Old 09-09-11, 02:13 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Walk whole bike into store.
Old 09-09-11, 02:14 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Ortlieb panniers and they are pricey enough that I pretty much never leave them on the bike. Cyclocomputer and lights usually stay on the bike along with a frame pump, unless I'm in a bad neighborhood, in which case I'll pack everything into a pannier. I wear my helmet into the store, which for me is the easiest way to carry it.
Old 09-09-11, 02:16 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
it's one of the reasons, i'm a backpack commuter. when i get off the bike, the stuff i want is already with me. though i will pull off the QR lights and saddle bag if i know i'll be in the store for more than a quick in and out.
Old 09-09-11, 02:20 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would stow the QR headlamp ($100+) but leave the rest on the bike if I'll be less than an hour. I live in an upscale suburb.
Old 09-09-11, 02:36 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave my helmet on the bike as well as the frame pump. Most everything else is in my backpack or messenger bag. The only thing worth taking off the bike would be the pump.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 09-09-11, 02:42 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Depends on the store and the neighborhood.
Home Depot: Walk it right in.
Supermarkets, Target, Fry's: Leave stuff on bike and lock bike up, sometimes take panniers in cart.
The Bank (when I actually have to go in): Leave stuff on bike and lock up.
Sketchy places: Stuff lights, helmet, gloves, and glasses in panniers and take with. Lock bike.

In all cases, I grab the phone/wallet/keys and any requisite shopping lists from the panniers before departure.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-09-11, 02:50 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I did that this morning going into a local City Market grocery strore. No one gave me a problem about it. The checkout woman asked me how far my commute is (5 miles). Then I went into two different banks with the bike with no problems. Then I went to work.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 09-09-11, 03:21 PM
Cheshire

Bikes: 2011 Marin Novato 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm going to be quick (5-10 minutes) I'll leave the panniers on the locked up bike. I was warned by the LBS when I got the bike that lights disappear fast lately, so the QR front and rear go into a pocket along with the computer. I usually don't even realize I still have my gloves on until they mess with using the touch pad at checkout. (I usually ignore the stylus-on-a-string.)
If I'm going to be a minute, I'll take the panniers with me. Mine can be attached at the handles, so I just throw 'em over a shoulder or carry 'em like a briefcase. Most stores around here look at me suspiciously if I'm walking around with my panniers (theft risk?) so I usually just leave them with the bike.
Old 09-09-11, 04:35 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends where I am and how long I'll be there. For a quick grocery stop I usually leave the pannier and helmet with the bike. I may take off the rear blinky. My other lights require tools to remove, so I just leave them. I don't use a cycle computer. I don't wear cycling gloves, but if its cold enough to need regular gloves, I'd probably take them with me or maybe stuff them in the pannier.

I'm in a low crime area.

Paul
Old 09-09-11, 05:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by drummergeek
This is a very good sign that you're hauling a lot more stuff around than you need to.

I leave the stuff that's mounted on the bike where it is. Clothing, like a jacket or gloves, I wear.
Old 09-09-11, 06:54 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Depeends on the area I'm in. Usually my Planet Bike and Portland blinkies stay on the bike. My Niterider I take with me though since it costs quite a bit more to replace. Sketchier areas I take those items off.

I don't have panniers and usually all I carry is my backpack, easy enough to take with me since I'm already wearing it. Ulock obviously stays with the bike.
Old 09-09-11, 07:08 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My front lights stay in the backpack until they are required. Anything that is already mounted to the bike, stays on the bike. If I have to go to the store on the way home, then I'll wear my helmet, vest (thanks SBW! ), and gloves into the store. My backpack is on my back.*

If I hit the local grocery store after already home, then it's just the backpack. I lock up on the outside of a cart corral, located under the awning up front, with the handicapped parking and employee 'smoke hole' next to that.

*Dollar Tree doesn't have a problem with me wearing my pack inside their store, as I wear it tight against the body and keep my hands in plain view at all times. Usually don't get much at time from here, as I'm headed home and have my normal load already. Warehouse Market is the same- except I'll take an empty backpack (this is the one to take if you really wanted to boost something). Neither place has asked to see the contents of my backpack. Wal-Mart, on the other hand, won't let me get past the greeter...
Old 09-09-11, 11:15 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lights go in my pockets, bottle goes in my backpack.. and well, since I wear a backpack, the rest of my stuff is chillin' on my back.
Old 09-10-11, 12:13 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have serious trust issues!

First, I plan ahead of time, so that the longest stop will be first. Anytime I'm parked in downtown San Francisco or Oakland, I take everything with me. If nobody says anything, I'll walk the bike and everthing into my place of business (except for the bank). Usually, in San Francisco, I can get away with locking my bike inside of any Supermarket, near either the food court or the deli for ten minutes ( usually nobody gets upset before ten minutes). That's if security doesn't at first, observe me. One day, I ran into a friend and left it in the food court for almost an hour, with no complaints.

Whenever, I'm supposed to leave my bike for extended periods of time with or without things of value, I tend not to do it, as I have zero faith in the odds of gambling. My concern is not only for my gear, but my bike, as well.

If you like it, and want to keep it, take it with you!

....Never leave your water bottle unguarded...

PS.

Obviously Irrelated Extraneous Information:

* Just a side note from experience

If you want to keep a secret, a secret...don't tell ANYBODY!

....Especially your wife...

Last edited by SlimRider; 09-10-11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-10-11, 03:24 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drummergeek
Hey guys,

What do you do with your gear when you go into stores? Grocery stores, etc.

Do you leave your panniers on the bike? Front and rear lights? Speedometer displays? Helmet and glasses? Gloves? Reflective vest if you use one?

It depends on where I'm going. If I'm going to PetSmart, being as I bring my entire bike inside the store everything stays on the bike. The same with CVS, and Walgreens.

If I'm going grocery shopping I'll take lights (tail and head) off as well as my computer. I put them inside of cap that I wear under my helmet. I'll also take in my top bag, which has everything else, or may have been emptied for extra space. Right now I only have one set of pannier bags for my bike that aren't really suited for grocery shopping so I leave them on the bike and load them when I get to my bike. The LBS that I go to does have some that are designed for grocery shopping that I'll probably pick up shortly.
Old 09-10-11, 03:37 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything stays on my bike except my wallet and phone. I don't live in a high crime area. My bike gets locked. I don't think there's a single item on my bike that cost more than $40, other than my headlight and I don't think anyone would just steal that. If I took everything off my bike, it would be too much hassle to stop anywhere, for me anyway.
Old 09-10-11, 04:26 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ive had junk stolen from my bike, useful to me but of no value to a thief.
I use bolt-on dynamo lights, I keep all repair kit inside my panniers and remove my pannier at every stop.
I lock my helmet to the bike, I use a cheap helmet with fewer, larger holes that can take a U-lock.
Old 09-10-11, 06:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use backpack/messenger bag, so all the valuable and important stuff is always with me. I have two PB superflash which I leave on a bike, I just took my computer off, I don't use panniers..prefer to use front wald basket for shopping/errands. Not much accessories on a bike other then a bell,fenders,wald basket. I do bring my helmet with me, because I have an expensive light mounted on it.
Old 09-10-11, 07:48 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ this is why people hate cyclists .... . get a lock, dude...
Old 09-10-11, 08:21 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
^ this is why people hate cyclists .... . get a lock, dude...
High Crime Area + Lock = Certain Loss

Desperate times, calls for deperate measures

....Just Say'N
Old 09-10-11, 08:45 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 09-10-11, 09:10 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I prefer to take my panniers with me. Not only do I get to have them on hand, but I also don't need to use a shopping bag when it's time to check out.

I'll carry the helmet instead of wearing it. I don't want to look like a special needs kid (no offense, but come on...), and gentlemen don't wear hats indoors anyway (I'll fake it as much as I can ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.