Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Frugal Living Book List

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Frugal Living Book List

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 09:06 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Frugal Living Book List

I know there was a thread a while ago on books about living car-free. I just moved and need to restock my new bookshelves and have been craving some new literature on frugal living. I think that the process of moving and being forced to buy so many NEW things has triggered my desire to read this stuff again. The Cheapskate Next Door was one of my favorites. Please list your favorite frugal living books, books about consumerism, or simple living blogs.

I know, this maybe off-topic but damn, does it come up often!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-11, 09:17 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
I just moved and need to restock my new bookshelves
Ordinarily I would say it's most frugal to borrow books at the library rather than buy them.

(I know this probably doesn't apply to you because you live in a foreign country.)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-13-11, 10:01 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Start with these two:

The Tightwad Gazette, by Amy Dacyczyn

How To Survive Without A Salary, by Charles Long
Old 09-13-11, 10:39 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoyed Possum Living, by Dolly Freed,

Actually I read it because I read about it right here on BF...
Old 09-13-11, 10:41 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And for the sake of being frugal, can we also add blogs to this thread? I would like to learn about new blogs I wouldn't otherwise find on my own.
Old 09-13-11, 11:43 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've found that having a Kindle has allowed me to save money while reading more than ever. Amazon sends me an e-mail every day called the Kindle Daily Deal and, while most of the the titles on offer aren't of interest to me, there's an occasional gem. The other day, for example, I got Bike Snob for $1.99.

For years I paid through the nose to have books in English shipped to me from the States or the UK, but no more!
Old 09-13-11, 01:24 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
And for the sake of being frugal, can we also add blogs to this thread? I would like to learn about new blogs I wouldn't otherwise find on my own.
Some blogs I like (google them):

Simple Dollar
Miss Minimilist
mnmlst
Early Retirement Extreme
Tosimplify

I also like Frugal Village Forums.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 09-13-11, 06:39 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I've found that having a Kindle has allowed me to save money while reading more than ever. Amazon sends me an e-mail every day called the Kindle Daily Deal and, while most of the the titles on offer aren't of interest to me, there's an occasional gem. The other day, for example, I got Bike Snob for $1.99.

For years I paid through the nose to have books in English shipped to me from the States or the UK, but no more!
Great idea! I too pay through the nose for English books. I spend a lot of time on mass transit (as everyone in Korea does) so books are crucial too me. This maybe a good excuse for me to justify a kindle.... ****, I hate justifying new gadgets right after asking for frugal living ideas.....
Old 09-13-11, 09:34 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great idea! I too pay through the nose for English books. I spend a lot of time on mass transit (as everyone in Korea does) so books are crucial too me. This maybe a good excuse for me to justify a kindle.... ****, I hate justifying new gadgets right after asking for frugal living ideas.....
I bought a Kindle in June since I have a longish train commute and was getting a bit tired of reading on my iPod, also Amazon dropped the price and offers free shipping to my country. It has definitely saved me money on books & magazines and the screen resolution is so good it's like reading 'real' paper again. Now with the 'Gutenburg Project' books freely available and other free books i've gotten back to reading as much as when i was in my 20's ... (i'm 49). Great device, highly recommend it. Last thing.. library books should be available on the device next year i think, so that's more savings..
Old 09-14-11, 12:49 PM
Rona

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple Dollar rawks!!!

The Tightwad Gazette II and III also! Don't forget them. Amy goes back and reviews her first one with more insights and more great ideas.

"Cheaper and Better" by Birnes https://www.amazon.com/Cheaper-Better.../dp/0060960833 This book has great recipes for expensive things from the store. My favorite is all of the salad dressings, but I've done spaghetti sauces and alcohol cocktails from the book too.
Old 09-14-11, 12:59 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another book worth reading is Living More With Less, by Doris Janzen Longacre. It was published in 1980 and it's a bit dated now, although a 30th anniversary edition has also been published.

The author works to point out some of the disparities between rich countries and poor countries. The emphasis on simplicity is partly because of a responsibility to those who are less wealthy in other parts of the world.

Living More With Less is written from a religious perspective and there are biblical references throughout the book.
Old 09-14-11, 08:21 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
The Tightwad Gazette books probably were the biggest influence on my present frugal lifestyle.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 09-15-11, 11:43 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
For hard core "cheapness" read.......
The Scavengers Manifesto by Anneli Rufus & Kristan Lawson

https://www.amazon.com/Scavengers-Man.../dp/1585427179

TIP: No matter what book you want always visit "aliribis" books for press over runs used etc. as a way to save real money for any book. Often a book that cost $20 anywhere else can be found on alirbris for pennies on he dollar used or as an over run.

https://www.alibris.com/

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 09-15-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-15-11, 11:27 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
For hard core "cheapness" read.......
The Scavengers Manifesto by Anneli Rufus & Kristan Lawson

https://www.amazon.com/Scavengers-Man.../dp/1585427179

TIP: No matter what book you want always visit "aliribis" books for press over runs used etc. as a way to save real money for any book. Often a book that cost $20 anywhere else can be found on alirbris for pennies on he dollar used or as an over run.

Great site and great prices but they charge $12.99 for each book for international shipping.....
Old 09-16-11, 01:14 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this forum. My girlfriend excoriates me for being a cheapskate, but with all this new material to read, I can be even more of a cheapskate!
Old 09-16-11, 12:28 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a huge difference between being cheap and being frugal. Being cheap by basing decisions solely on the lowest price can end up costing plenty in the long run. The cheapest items are often the ones which will not last or which will not function properly. Being frugal by considering what product is needed and then finding the best value will save money. Spending a little more initially on an item which will last a long time is good value.
Old 09-16-11, 08:57 PM
amdoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Whole Earth Catalog was probably the first such DIY/frugal living book I read.
Old 09-17-11, 07:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
There's a huge difference between being cheap and being frugal. Being cheap by basing decisions solely on the lowest price can end up costing plenty in the long run. The cheapest items are often the ones which will not last or which will not function properly. Being frugal by considering what product is needed and then finding the best value will save money. Spending a little more initially on an item which will last a long time is good value.
AMEN!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-17-11, 07:11 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Another website/blog is Debt-Proof Living. Some of the stuff is pay, but there is plenty of free information there too. She also has a series of books out.

While on the subject of Kindles, anybody have a Nook or compared them? I currently read ebooks on a variety of small handhelds (droid and crackberry), but need to step up to something a bit more functional.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-17-11, 07:37 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Another website/blog is Debt-Proof Living. Some of the stuff is pay, but there is plenty of free information there too. She also has a series of books out.

While on the subject of Kindles, anybody have a Nook or compared them? I currently read ebooks on a variety of small handhelds (droid and crackberry), but need to step up to something a bit more functional.

Aaron
I have a Nook and like it very much. There are many free or cheap books if you keep your eyes open, and can also download ebooks from my library's website. I also use it to store PDFs with pretty good success (although some older PDFs are coded such that they show up kinda weird, but that's the exception, not the rule)
Old 09-17-11, 12:04 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Great site and great prices but they charge $12.99 for each book for international shipping.....
Shipping.......the dark side of any bargain!

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-17-11, 12:06 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hammandegger
I love this forum. My girlfriend excoriates me for being a cheapskate, but with all this new material to read, I can be even more of a cheapskate!
The serious cheapskate has an ebook reader so they can read tons & tons of free stuff!!

Old 09-17-11, 12:22 PM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 Thing Challenge was a pretty good book about simplifying your life. I guess that can go right along with frugal living
Old 09-18-11, 10:58 AM
Rona

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade

Even better is www.bookfinder.com it lists used and new books by cost, searching all the major sellers including Alibris. You can usually find a lot of books for under a dollar.
Old 09-18-11, 11:03 PM
icebiker76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been reading online personal finance blogs lately, with "early retirement extreme" being my favorite. The basic premise involves investing up to seventy percent of ones income for 5 years or so, so one can pursue the activities in life that interest them; and the philosophy required to achieve independence from needing to work.

Last edited by icebiker76; 09-18-11 at 11:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.