Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Looking to raise handlebars on bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 03:12 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to raise handlebars on bike

I wrestled with which forum to put this in. This is the lucky forum, LOL. I might cross post it between two forums.

I am having some problems with my shoulders and neck and I want to raise the handlebars on my bike.

I have been doing some reading, and a little research.

I am looking for some touring handlebars and I guess I am going to have to change stems.

I went to the LBS and did a little inquiring. They had a set of handlebars I was interested in and they said the diameter of the bars [where it is clamped] was 25.4 mm. According to my records, the clamp on my surly is 26mm.
The LBS guy said they would work, however, my Park Tool BBB2 says it absolutely is not a good idea and unsafe to use a 25.4 mm in a 26mm clamp.

So now I am soliciting information from the most informed bicyclists on the planet. I am looking for ideas on threadless stems [ones that put some lift on the handlebars] and threadless touring handlebars. Or any relevant ideas that anybody wants to add.

Pics are most welcome.

An added thought: I am not at the present time using this outfit to do any long distance touring. I just want to get to work and back which is 20 miles roundtrip. I will be loaded with work stuff, food, repair kit etc. Mostly flat on a paved bicycle trail with a couple of raised inclines [pedestrian bridges].

Thanks, and happy trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02247.jpg (100.6 KB, 4 views)
DSC02243.jpg (98.8 KB, 4 views)
DSC02202.jpg (101.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-02-11, 12:39 PM
Rona

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking about threadless but went with this instead. It is a one piece BBB adjustable stem. It gave me quite a bit of lift and it's very comfortable for me. You just gotta look around for what's available.
Old 11-03-11, 12:36 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Keep the bars. Get a stem with a steeper angle, possibly shorter. They also make an adapter to raise the stem 3-4 inches.