Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 01:54 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Been a little while since I've checked in on this thread. So many recent posts! I do like reading this thread in particular, didn't realize there would be so many who like to ride this style ride. I have played around some, experimented with some other bikes. All are going the route of the swept back bars, but also seem to include a kickstand as well. Never would have been caught dead back in my youth thinking that way but......times change and you get older. Anyway, some other experiments let's say....

Originally thought i picked this up for parts, was way too impressed with the frame so couldnt throw it out. Wanted to try soomething different. Have to say it rides real nice with that setup. I think at some point a banana seat will get put on, even if its just for a short ride. It is one seat not in the parts bin.
Old 04-14-20, 02:17 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

First 29er. Fun ride. This pic has the jones h bars, but i had some nitto allbatross type bars on it as well, liked the albatross ones better.

Found this on craigs list, wanted the parts, xt 3x8 group. Started riding it and figured it was too much work to strip the parts to put on another bike to make the same kind of bike. Added a kickstand, front rack / yeti cooler basket and changed out the bars to albatross like bars. Was surprisedthat it had titec ti straight bars on it. The forks i left alone, they came on the bike. They are a general all purpose rigid fork thats set up for a 29 or 650 w/disc or a 26 canti / vbrake posts.
Likes For ocsawdust:
Old 04-14-20, 02:24 AM
ocsawdust

Recent find at a stupid low price. Dang craigs list, blessing and a curse. I still have my first mtb, a 15 speed stumpy that will be next for a makeover. Its been hanging for i dont know how many years and its the same colors as this rockhopper. This frame is kinda small for me at 18" and like so many bikes, very little use / miles. But I'm a sucker for the old school mtb's, especially with rigid forks. Most of my older bikes with suspension forks all need to be rebuilt, if the parts can be found.

Last edited by ocsawdust; 04-14-20 at 02:29 AM.
Likes For ocsawdust:
Old 04-14-20, 03:12 AM
ocsawdust

Originally Posted by JacobLee
This is my Soulcraft Option 3. Made in 1999 by the guy who was head frame builder at Salsa when they sold to QBP in 1998. This is #018. Bought the frame from the contractor who helped them set up shop in Ross Shafers’ barn in Petaluma, Ca.

Let’s just say this has been one of my great bike loves. It started to fade a little over the years as it was eclipsed by a dual suspension, and then a 29er. It started to bum me out when I rode it, and that REALLY bummed me out. Last summer, riding it in Olympic National Park, I figured I’d ditch the suspension fork, add a basket and some swept back bars, and see what happened. It was one of those setups that came out perfectly right out of the gate. The bar position is just amazing. I commute on it, explore on it, go to the store on it.

I thought it would be good to post, not because it’s super-vintage, but because it was a good way to ditch a suspension fork that was sort of a turd. I see lots of hardtails on here that still have forks that were no fun when they were new; now they’re toast! I had an lbs order me this Carver for $70. I made sure the axle-to-crown measurement was in the ballpark, and it turned out great. And with all that uncut steer tube, I could get very upright, indeed!

going to have to look for a carver. Thanks for mentioning that name. Yeah, almost all the old suspension forks are turds.
Likes For ocsawdust:
Old 04-14-20, 03:17 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
After reading all the posts, I have come to the conclusion that they are all pretty awesome bikes. I am a lover of lugged frame Stumpjumpers. Most of what I see trying to be created are basically very early to mid eighties MTBs. Almost all of them had upright bars.
Old 04-14-20, 02:40 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
92 Stumpjumper Comp

Old 04-14-20, 06:39 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Here's my mid 80s Schwinn Mirada. The wheels and brakes (minus the Scott Mathauser Pads) are the only original parts. I was planning a drop bar conversion, but then found other bikes that were better suited for that. This is my first/only upright build and I'm really digging it. Such a fun/cozy bike to ride.

- Schwinn Mirada Frameset (apparently made by Giant)
- Brooks B17 Saddle
- Specialized Flag Crankset
- Shimano Deore Derailleurs
- Dia Compe 981 Brakes with Scott Mathauser Pads
- Velo Orange Threadless Stem Adaptor
- Velo Orange Threadless 17 degree Riser Stem
- Non-branded Townie Bars
- Rustines Constructeur Style Rubber Grips
- Tektro FL750 City Brake Levers
- Suntour Power Thumb Shifters
- Shimano 600 Freewheel
- Sansin Sealed System Hubs (Converted the solid axles to quick release)

very nice build here. Your really good at cleaning and polishing parts. Those grips real cool. Cheers, Kevin
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 04-15-20, 12:15 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
very nice build here. Your really good at cleaning and polishing parts. Those grips real cool. Cheers, Kevin
Thanks Kevin! I'm a bit of a clean freak and like to keep my bikes tidy. Those Rustines grips from Velo Orange are fabulous! My first pair and loving them. Cheers, Matt
Old 04-19-20, 11:34 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
I put this bike together for my wife for a trip we took to Japan. The frame came painted by the previous owner, and unfortunately the serial number is filled in, so I haven't been able to properly deduce the frame model and year exactly.
It's a great bike. The drive side was tough to finagle with a triple crank. I had to get shimano's longest spindle 122.5mm, and the inner chairing bolts just barely clear the chain stay. I was surprised how finicky the front end of the drivetrain was. VO fenders and Tourist handlebars. The tourists have been nicer than the left bank bars I originally had on this, and my stump jumper. They give a little more knee space when making slow sharp turns, and the wrist angle is a little better for going over rocky patches. My wife uses it for her commute to work.
Wonderful, but please plug the ends of the handlebars. God forbid your wife crashes and is literally gored by them. I know it's an extreme circumstance, but better safe than sorry.
Old 04-23-20, 10:45 AM
primo123

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Likes For primo123:
Old 04-23-20, 04:55 PM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Done! But new bars on the way-- these ones are a bit flexy :/
Likes For FujiSam:
Old 05-08-20, 01:09 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I posted my Alpina Team on the drop bar thread but now it's back to Upright Bar MTB and I finally pulled the trigger on some Rat Trap Pass tires. That is just a Nitto Young holding onto the Soma Oxfords until a tall Nitto MT-10 arrives. And then, maybe some Nitto RM-3 bars and I'll put it back on the drop bar thread. You know how it goes🤔

21 miles and 1300 feet today 40/60 Gravel/Road
Old 05-08-20, 01:54 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Urban Bike Conversions?

I've posted this bike here before. The only thing that has changed is that I turned the handlebar rightside-up. But I set out to shoot some gritty urban noir, and this shot says it all:

I'm going to do some more of these, different angles and locations. Might as well... there's not much else to do right now.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-11-20, 09:07 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 409 Posts
Some cool bikes posted recently!

Nice B&W photo dqrider!

Here's a recent snap of Trek 950 also previously shown earlier in thread
on a recent ride.

Yeah, my boredom often results in another frame being built up.

Most recent an 87 LeTour.

Old 05-12-20, 04:55 PM
nikku 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
This is my favorite thread on C&V.
Just got this frame and wheelset on Ebay as a Mom's Day present for my wife. Built it up with some spare parts (and a new set of Nitto North Road 'bars), planning on swapping out grips and saddle for some brown grips and brown saddle, seatpost for a silver version of the same, and tires with some cream colored cruisers at some point. I can't figure out the year, I think it's an '86? Anyway, it fits my wife well and she loves the color, as do I!
Likes For nikku:
Old 05-21-20, 09:58 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Upright Bar, Town & Country?

My Dawes Ranger again, from yesterday's lunch ride:

Old 05-21-20, 02:34 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by nikku
This is my favorite thread on C&V.
Just got this frame and wheelset on Ebay as a Mom's Day present for my wife. Built it up with some spare parts (and a new set of Nitto North Road 'bars), planning on swapping out grips and saddle for some brown grips and brown saddle, seatpost for a silver version of the same, and tires with some cream colored cruisers at some point. I can't figure out the year, I think it's an '86? Anyway, it fits my wife well and she loves the color, as do I!
The Diamondback turned out very nice.
Well done!

I hope she enjoys many good rides on it.
Old 05-21-20, 02:40 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by DQRider
My Dawes Ranger again, from yesterday's lunch ride:

That is a beauty DQRider!

Does DQ stand for Dairy Queen?
My wife and I occasionally stop in DQ after a ride for a Blizzard.

Perhaps consider the secondary name of 'Strider' for your Dawes?

I base it on this probably recognisable dialog.

"Sam: "That fellow's done nothin' but stare at you since we arrived."

Frodo: [takes Butterbur aside] "Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?"

Butterbur: "He's one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are — wandering the wilds. What his right name is I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider."

Last edited by cooperryder; 05-21-20 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 05-22-20, 06:55 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by cooperryder
That is a beauty DQRider!

Does DQ stand for Dairy Queen?
My wife and I occasionally stop in DQ after a ride for a Blizzard.

Perhaps consider the secondary name of 'Strider' for your Dawes?

I base it on this probably recognisable dialog.

"Sam: "That fellow's done nothin' but stare at you since we arrived."

Frodo: [takes Butterbur aside] "Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?"

Butterbur: "He's one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are — wandering the wilds. What his right name is I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider."
Yes, the DQ in my username stands for Dairy Queen. When I first came back to cycling in 2015, I would plan my rides from our local DQ to another one several miles away. Distances grew and sometimes I would add a third DQ stop on longer rides.

That's all obsolete now. For one thing, they built a Baskin Robbins a half-mile from my home, and that is real ice cream. I haven't been back to DQ since. For another, I've found I enjoy using the same point-to-point navigation between micro-brewery taprooms, which have become more numerous than DQ locations. The conversations are better as well.

Your J.R.R. Tolkein reference caused an epiphany for me: I've just realized that it has been about 40 years since I last read "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. What better way to pass the time during pandemic isolation than to throw a book in the saddlebag, along with a picnic lunch, ride to a distant park, find a picnic table and read for a couple hours? Thanks, cooperryder! You've given me a Mission.

Last edited by DQRider; 05-22-20 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-22-20, 09:41 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Your J.R.R. Tolkein reference caused an epiphany for me: I've just realized that it has been about 40 years since I last read "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. What better way to pass the time during pandemic isolation than to throw a book in the saddlebag, along with a picnic lunch, ride to a distant park, find a picnic table and read for a couple hours?
I've no idea if you're much interested in the "back story" of The Hobbit and the LOTR stories. But, as you might know, there is an entire collection of books covering all the ancient history from all the references those two books introduced us to. Most of the history is fascinating, if you're enthralled with the "main" stories. Perhaps start with The Silmarillion, if you haven't read any of them.
Old 05-22-20, 02:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Yes, the DQ in my username stands for Dairy Queen. When I first came back to cycling in 2015, I would plan my rides from our local DQ to another one several miles away. Distances grew and sometimes I would add a third DQ stop on longer rides.

That's all obsolete now. For one thing, they built a Baskin Robbins a half-mile from my home, and that is real ice cream. I haven't been back to DQ since. For another, I've found I enjoy using the same point-to-point navigation between micro-brewery taprooms, which have become more numerous than DQ locations. The conversations are better as well.

Your J.R.R. Tolkein reference caused an epiphany for me: I've just realized that it has been about 40 years since I last read "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. What better way to pass the time during pandemic isolation than to throw a book in the saddlebag, along with a picnic lunch, ride to a distant park, find a picnic table and read for a couple hours? Thanks, cooperryder! You've given me a Mission.
Nice bike. If you have a device, I recommend setting an alarm, because you will get sucked in. Also, Sam was a big fan of beer rides. Well, walks, but still. Enjoy!
Old 05-22-20, 10:38 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I've no idea if you're much interested in the "back story" of The Hobbit and the LOTR stories. But, as you might know, there is an entire collection of books covering all the ancient history from all the references those two books introduced us to. Most of the history is fascinating, if you're enthralled with the "main" stories. Perhaps start with The Silmarillion, if you haven't read any of them.
Hello Clyde. Of course I am interested. I am well aware of Silmarillion, but I haven't read that yet. My pursuit of Sci-Fi/Fantasy was interrupted when I joined the Marine Corps. My experiences there kind of overshadowed anything I read during my High School days.

However, at some point during my deployments, my buddies and I did resort to Dungeons and Dragons for diversion. It was too expensive to go "out in the `ville", and we had beer vending machines in the barracks. That resulted in some in some seriously bloody and X-rated D&D Quests. I mean, what do you expect when your Dungeon Master is a Marine Corps Vietnam Vet?

Wow... Thanks for sparking those memories Clyde.

Bike Content: We all got around Iwakuni, Japan on bicycles called "Benjo Bombers". Those were Japanese copies of Raliegh DL-1 bicycles. They were heavy, robust vehicles with single-speed drive-trains and dodgy rod-actuated brakes. I wish I had taken some photos of them at the time, But they were such a ubiquitous feature of everyday life on the air station that we didn't think to photograph them for posterity. Oops, I seem to have strayed from our subject matter... sorry.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-23-20, 12:16 AM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Nakita conversion

A really nice bike to ride, 13.5 kg as shown. Tange double butted mtb tubing, a mix of Alivio and LX components. This conversion only cost about 30 euros for the bars, fenders, and new cables.
Likes For lubloi:
Old 05-24-20, 08:40 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by KlunkerBiker
I just wanted to drop a not and say your bike builds are fantastically well put together. Do you by chance have a thread where your entire collection is presented? Thanks in advance!

- Laurence
Hi Laurence,
I used to write for a local motorcycle magazine, and later had a couple blogs. That all ended in 2008 when the economy crashed, and I had to concentrate 100% on my "day job". I built several very cool motorbikes, in the Cafe Racer tradition, and that has informed much of the design ideas I use with bicycles, i.e. light weight, functionality, but all with a stylish panache that appeals to the soul of the traditional speed freak.

I haven't done a bicycle blog yet, or even a dedicated thread. For some silly reason, I don't feel I have "paid my dues" in this community sufficiently to rate as an expert worthy of a separate thread or blog. I only know what I like in bicycles, and what I have learned from some truly knowledgeable experts along the way. But the writing bug stays with you forever, and I've been itching to try something new along this line. Bear with me... eventually I won't be able to keep it all bottled up anymore, and will have to spew my nonsense upon a new audience. Hopefully I won't lead too many astray...

Thank you for a truly pleasant message.

DQRider

Last edited by DQRider; 05-25-20 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-24-20, 09:05 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
here's mine, early 90's Specialized Hardrock Xtracycle FreeRadical conversion, gotta say, I love this thing. It's a Ford F-150 when I need it, and great for bike camping...
Likes For Edward1066:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.