Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off your Univega Alpina

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off your Univega Alpina

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 05:36 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I hate you Crankstank
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 03-31-21, 05:54 PM
Crankstank 

Bikes: 2008 Rodriguez Adventure, 1995 TiCycles, 1995 KHS Montana Pro Custom, 2012 Surly Troll, 1976 Azuki Gran Sport Custom Frankenbike, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1976 Schwinn Superior, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Not exactly an exclusive club, but welcome aboard!
Likes For Crankstank:
Old 07-15-21, 09:16 AM
CanCruiser

Bikes: Univega Alpina 570- Sekine SHB 271

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi All, Greetings from Canada, Eh!
New member here, I came across this great forum while searching for info about my "new to me" acquisition. A Univega Alpina 570.
I am quite pleased with it. It is a rare bike in Canada and was told it was imported from Europe. A dealer sticker on it supports this theory (Hervis Sports)
It has some scratches but nothing severe. Works, shifts and rides great! and has good components.

I have tried to find a manufacturing date, but could never find a "570" model. Only 500, 600 or 700. So I am not quite sure when this model was made.
I appreciate any help or support if you know the date of manufacture. It would also be great if I can find a manual somewhere.

I'd like to post some photos but the forum doesn't allow for new members with less than 10 posts.
Old 07-15-21, 09:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by CanCruiser
New member here, I came across this great forum while searching for info about my "new to me" acquisition. A Univega Alpina 570.
I am quite pleased with it. It is a rare bike in Canada and was told it was imported from Europe. A dealer sticker on it supports this theory (Hervis Sports)
It has some scratches but nothing severe. Works, shifts and rides great! and has good components.

I have tried to find a manufacturing date, but could never find a "570" model. Only 500, 600 or 700. So I am not quite sure when this model was made.
I appreciate any help or support if you know the date of manufacture. It would also be great if I can find a manual somewhere.

I'd like to post some photos but the forum doesn't allow for new members with less than 10 posts.
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/21930623
Old 07-15-21, 10:07 AM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Curbtender..
Didn't know that it saved the photos in an album already...
Call it "forum newbie'ish"..
Old 07-15-21, 10:10 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by CanCruiser

If you google "Univega Alpina 570," a couple of sale listings come up that peg this model at late 1990's, but that's as close as I can get.
Old 07-15-21, 10:20 AM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
If you google "Univega Alpina 570," a couple of sale listings come up that peg this model at late 1990's, but that's as close as I can get.
Thanks.. I came to the same results by doing a search. There are some listings in Europe as well (mostly Germany) but no definitive date.
To confuse matters a bit, there seem to be a more modern model called "HT 570" which is not the same as the "570" model.

Great bike nonetheless. I was quite pleased to come across this thread and share the photos..
Old 08-11-21, 12:21 AM
deoxy4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I've never owned a Alpina but an old friend of mine had one and I'd love to find one just like it. IIRC it was a '90 within a beautiful lavender color with big multi colored paint flecks on it festooned with Mountain LX which became Deore the next year and the Deore group moved to Deore DX. It was a great looking bike and although to small to really tell seemed like a great rider.

Of course there are lots of other great models and colors I might snatch up if I ever saw them for sale near me.

The '90(?) Alpina Spot LX (Internet pic)
I have the same bike. Rides well and bullet proof.
Old 10-03-21, 07:30 PM
lueej

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
a few photos of my recently put together 1989 alpina sport, with a crust clydesdale fork

Likes For lueej:
Old 10-04-21, 12:35 PM
d2krulez

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Univega Alpina 5.1 - Noob

Just got my hands on my first Univega Alpina 5.1 for pretty cheap. Hoping to do some enhancements after some research, thus leading me here. All your pictures are motivation! Soon to post before after, thanks everyone!

Now if i can only find 26 inch skin wall tires for cheap?
Old 10-04-21, 01:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by d2krulez
Just got my hands on my first Univega Alpina 5.1 for pretty cheap. Hoping to do some enhancements after some research, thus leading me here. All your pictures are motivation! Soon to post before after, thanks everyone!

Now if i can only find 26 inch skin wall tires for cheap?
Define "cheap". Also, check out The 26" Tire and Wheel Thread. HTH.
Old 03-12-22, 05:33 PM
dschell

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Record, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1983 Univega Alpina Ultima, 1960s Raphael Geminani, 1994 Trek 820 Bafang ebike

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
My 83 Alpina Ultima, mostly stock, dusty from fire roads above Reno NV. I have the original seatpost and 180 cranks , changed to 170ATs and new post

Might be some Rat Trap Pass tires or maybe Humptullips in it's near future

Last edited by dschell; 03-12-22 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For dschell:
Old 06-03-22, 04:21 PM
grenspot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What am I looking at here?

Hi everyone,

I have had a few univega bikes come and go over the years, but mostly of the non-MTB variety. A few months ago I was lucky enough to get an '83 Alpina Ultima (just not lucky enough to have noticed the big crack at the top of the seat tube). Still did great on the parts from that one an now I have a sweet wall hanger in my shop.

Last week I came across a 1993 Univega Team Alpina. Cover your ears if you don't like this not part, but I quickly parted it out to eBay and other projects I have. It is a nice bike but I already have a bunch of complete vintage MTB's (anyone need a '94 Breezer Jetstream?) I need to move on so there was little to no chance this was joining my fleet for very long. The frame has been posted on eBay for a week or two but one watcher messaged me yesterday to point out what he thought might be an indication of a crack under the paint. Closer inspection revealed that it was just a poor tough-up job and the 'crack' was simply where the touch-up paint and original paint meet. I know this because I scraped away the touched up section and enough original to see beautify uncracked steel beneath. Now I need some tough-up paint

What was kind of weird though is that the smooth looking welds (which I was skeptical were fillet brazed to begin with) seem to be some kind of epoxy resin filler around the welds. Does anyone know much about Univega frame construction and what this stuff is? The frame tubing is all shaped and ovalized so I have to assume it was to make the tube joins look way less ridiculous. I guess I am just surprised to see what is supposed to be their top of the line model with what seems to be kind of Low rent construction. What would happen if someone tried to strip this frame? I plan to recover the touched up are and re-post on eBay and FB and let someone else enjoy it. I am just curious to know what Univega was up to here and if anyone can shed more light on this.

Cheers

Last edited by grenspot; 06-03-22 at 04:27 PM. Reason: fixing a mistake
Old 06-03-22, 04:23 PM
grenspot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-15-23, 05:18 PM
Skruff

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a framset off a Univerga Alpina 500. Could anyody please helt me with which size for steering bearings that I should buy? Can I measure the size that needed or is there a list? Can provide framnumber if needed.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-23, 06:48 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
95 (I think) Apina 501 slightly modified
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 08-21-23, 10:24 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I picked this 1984 Alpina Pro up in Tennessee three years ago, while on the way home from Florida. My wife is very patient with me.

It's been languishing along with a similar project, a 1985 Stumpjumper Sport, but I'm finally getting around to building both up.

As the paint is so rough, I plan to have it powdercoated, probably by Groody Bros. I think I've finally located a set of replacement decals, lack of which has been holding me up. Original color is 'Deep Burgundy,' and it's deep enough I wasn't sure it wasn't just black until I had the fork off. New color will likely be Prismatic 'Illusion Malbec,' also a dark purple, but with a little bit of sparkle.

Everything appears to be original except for the saddle and tires. A friend is working on the wheels for me, and converting them to QR. One thing that intrigues me is that the cranks are 165mm. I now have three mtbs from the same mid-80s, a Schwinn Cimarron, the Stumpjumper Sport, and the Alpina, and though they're all 17-18" frames, they all have different (original) crank lengths: 175, 170, 165 respectively.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 08-21-23 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-22-23, 03:46 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Skruff
I got a framset off a Univerga Alpina 500. Could anyody please helt me with which size for steering bearings that I should buy? Can I measure the size that needed or is there a list? Can provide framnumber if needed.

Thanks!
Welcome! I think those have a 22.2mm stem so would take a 1" headset (with 1/8" balls in retainers or loose) that should be easy to find. Good luck! Post pix!
Old 08-31-23, 04:24 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
There's a very large 1983 Alpina Pro being offered in Kansas City for the whopping price of $850. It appears to be as original as you can reasonably expect, and very very clean.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bi...655456347.html

I don't know how to directly link pics from Facebook, but I'll copy over a few---the listing has a lot, but many of them are similar.

Aside from saddle and wear components, this 1983 seems to have identical parts to my (presumed) 1984, with the exception of the crankset; mine has a Sugino AT 165--the size maybe because it's a 17 or 18" frame rather than this 22". Mine is the same 'deep burgundy' color, too.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 08-31-23 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 10-15-23, 10:48 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Fascinating that the first few years of the Alpina Ultima were TIG welded (I think?) Later years were lugged and brazed.

Picked up an ‘85 UAU in the second largest size - on the boulevard with a free sign!! I have ridden a number of UJB ATB’s, but this one has something special about it. Even my wife noticed -and she generally has different tastes than me. I love my ‘85 Stumpy, but if I found a 23” UAU, it might just get kicked off the podium…

It has the double quick release seat post. I thought it was a gimmick (and it mostly is). But it worked for sharing the bike with people of very different heights. I can raise it and set the saddle back so both my wife and I can ride it - and we have probably 6-8” difference in inseams.

Now with new tires, a few cables replaced, a period-correct Mountech 2 RD to replace an Acera, and a front rack with Ostrich bag.
Old 10-20-23, 03:02 PM
Ranger Mac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My first mountain bike was a Univega Alpina. Early 90s, I had asked for a GT Mach One or a Freeagent BMX bike for Christmas. At first it was quietly disappointing, even though it was easily twice the price of the other two. I ended up replacing most of the components over the years on that bike.