Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 02:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Is this what I think it is? Or not, I have not seen one.
Maxxis Presta Valve Stems and Core Removal Tool - Black - Ultimate Cycle Store
MVS understands, I think. but it's only for MVS tubes. On the other hand, I could just buy MVS tubes (ultralight even) and never worry about taping my stems again.
Old 02-06-18, 02:34 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Look at aeronautics. Shape and surface texture are far more important than actual size.

Notice that the threading on a valve closely resembles the fins of an automobile radiator? What is the purpose of an automobile's radiator fins? To catch air.

Bikes with no valve caps are suffering extreme aero penalties, and therefore experiencing significant speed losses.

Again. Any serious cyclist worth his salt (should) understands the performance benefits of a light weight and efficiently shaped valve cap. There are a lot of folks out there with no real understanding of the actual physics involved. It's not their fault. They are neither engineers nor physicists. But don't allow yourself to be fooled by the naive and unsophisticated.

Right. I think the problem here is that those most prone to denying valve cap science do so in other areas as well, like pie plate diameter and kickstand shape... preventing them from ever getting to the speeds required for aerodynamics to be much of a factor.

Is this "Da Bomb?

These are nice, but only appropriate if you run carbon fiber rims.
Old 02-06-18, 02:55 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Has no one mentioned that a presta valve has two lock nuts? One on each end? Do they cancel each other out when bombing a descent or does one need an opposite side aero reflector. Sooo much science to learn...
Old 02-06-18, 03:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
When you run deep carbon wheels, most valve extenders are not threaded so no valve caps.

Personally, I don't run them since they serve no purpose. In 20,000 miles, i've never had a problem leaving them off.
Old 02-06-18, 04:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
When you run deep carbon wheels, most valve extenders are not threaded so no valve caps.

Personally, I don't run them since they serve no purpose. In 20,000 miles, i've never had a problem leaving them off.
Right .... but you admit you are slow.

I'm telling you, get some long-stemmed-tubes and the right caps ....... I'm not saying TdF podium ... but ... Gyro?
Old 02-06-18, 04:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Right .... but you admit you are slow.

I'm telling you, get some long-stemmed-tubes and the right caps ....... I'm not saying TdF podium ... but ... Gyro?
Hey, if you can't BE Pro, you can at least LOOK Pro

Personally, they serve no purpose so why bother.

As to long stem tubes, I find using Zipp tubes with their extenders are no more expensive, they are not too long and they don't rattle.
Old 02-06-18, 04:42 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
BSOs do NOT have Presta valve caps. Izzat COOL or WHAT?
Old 02-06-18, 06:35 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ultimate caps!

How do you like THESE apples?

<1g ea, aero, poorly 3d printed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180206_182432.jpg (896.5 KB, 248 views)
Old 02-06-18, 06:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Bike Forums just ain't what it used to be if we can't push this topic up over 10 pages. We haven't begun to scratch the surface when it comes to presta valve caps.
Old 02-06-18, 08:29 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The valve and rim manufacturers need to step up here. We know (from the innertube people) that the locknuts are important but we also all know they sit very poorly on the rime surface (like they are not so important) and scratch that pristine rim surface if tightened enough to stay on through all the vibration a rim gets.

So, get with it! Offer us some properly shaped plastic washers that will fit flush with both the complex curved surface of the rim and the lockwasher. Yes, you will have to provide quite a few variations because rims vary so much, but ... it is you who are telling us this is important. And isn't it your obligation to provide us the means to install these critical parts without damaging the finish of our $1000 wheels? (These washers probably need to have wrench flats so they can be held in proper alignment with the rim. Perhaps a small wrench could be included.)

With these washers, properly installed, we will finally be able to have wheels done right. No gaps under the edges of the lock nuts and no scarred anodizing.

Ben
Each rim profile is different, really the rim should come with a flat seat, or a fitting of such. It's simply shoddy, on the rim manufacturer's front, to supply a rim with non-compliant valve port like they do.
Old 02-06-18, 08:38 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

This business of the valve hole letting water in has got to be stopped, too. I didn't buy a 24g carbon fibre bottle cage to carry half a pint of rainwater in my rims.
Old 02-06-18, 09:00 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by shafter
How do you like THESE apples?

<1g ea, aero, poorly 3d printed...
Needs more bling. Colors? Jewels?

Rydabent should get a square for each of his oft-repeated posts.
That would mean instant BF bingo.

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Each rim profile is different, really the rim should come with a flat seat, or a fitting of such. It's simply shoddy, on the rim manufacturer's front, to supply a rim with non-compliant valve port like they do.
This business of the valve hole letting water in has got to be stopped, too. I didn't buy a 24g carbon fibre bottle cage to carry half a pint of rainwater in my rims.
Great points, both. Almost all of the cyclists I know make these complaints often. (and it's not just the serious cyclists) There's likely a huge market ($$$$) just begging to be tapped here.
Old 02-06-18, 10:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Just for giggles, or because I was bored, I emailed a manufacturer of presta valve's and asked them their policy on caps and lock nuts. "Yes. We recommend to use cap. To avoid dust. And recommend to use locknut too. " So all you sloppy unkempt pin bending impaling death machine riding folks are going against manufacturer's recommendations. Good luck with your lawsuit
I dunno. I'm skeptical of advice that's so reckless with infinitives. Unless we're talking Yoda, in which case listening, I am.
Old 02-06-18, 10:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Locknuts don't really work too well with deep-wall rims. They don't sit flush with any rim actually, it's like there's a part missing.

Like a moulded plastic seat, similar in shape to some quick-release compression seats. Or they could at least texture/shape the compression surface of the washer, so that it bites into the alloy. Whatever, this is clearly an area that's seen very little in the way of development.
Oh, darn...

Hey, I knew there was a reason why I kept those old concave washers from my worn out linear pull brake pads!

Now I just need to superglue some weights on the opposite side of the rim to counterbalance the extra weight from those washers. I wonder if Wahoo makes a doodad and app to precisely calculate the weight needed three times before the doodad breaks and I switch to a Garmin rim counterbalance weight doodad.
Old 02-07-18, 02:44 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Originally Posted by canklecat
Now I just need to superglue some weights on the opposite side of the rim to counterbalance the extra weight from those washers.
Obviously there will be titanium and carbon options. How ever would i appeal to the lycra-clad silver soarers otherwise?

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
Reality check:
Not a bad effort there. The profile of both the rim and lock nut a touch more advanced than the average effort. But then, so are dinosaur egg nests.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
So, get with it! Offer us some properly shaped plastic washers that will fit flush with both the complex curved surface of the rim and the lockwasher. Yes, you will have to provide quite a few variations because rims vary so much, but ... it is you who are telling us this is important. And isn't it your obligation to provide us the means to install these critical parts without damaging the finish of our $1000 wheels?
Ben
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Can we buy valve caps with sleeves that go all the way down to the rim?
Well. I saw this all as a bit of a challenge, didn't i. I've only had a few hours to research, design, develop and manufacture such a thing, but i think i'm onto something.

I think there's too much attention being paid to the whole locking thing. You're pulling on rubber, and really, it's only gotta hold the seat of the valve to the rim. We're not talking Stilsons here. The G-force isn't gonna send the valve through the tyre without a locking ring. So we can make the locking ring half the thickness, allowing it to be covered.

Now with the water resistance also in mind, by the time it was daylight this morning, i'd come up with this: What we have here is a corrugated silicone boot. It stretches over any valve type, gripping the valve stem tightly, and forms a tight waterproof seal against even the most challenging deep-wall rims...

Patents pending, or whatever.
Old 02-07-18, 06:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
To solve this, as well as the locknut seating issue, it seems apparent that rim makes should thread their rim holes, and presta stems should be threaded all the way to the bottom. Yes, might take a few seconds longer to screw your tube all the way into the rim via the valve stem, but worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 02-07-18, 06:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
What we have here is a corrugated silicone boot. It stretches over any valve type, gripping the valve stem tightly, and forms a tight waterproof seal against even the most challenging deep-wall rims...
Insufficiently aero .... and too Schraederish. How will it look on longer stems? Well, I guess serious cyclists will machine their stems to leave just enough showing above the rim for a CO2 cartridge inflator--what serious cyclist would use a pump in the 21st century?

I think something as convenient and universal somehow has to be combined with something as specific and complex to manufacture as Shafter's effort from post #137 .... and then offered in a variety of colors.
Old 02-07-18, 06:25 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Do not people buy designer valve caps? I usually go for Ralph Lauren or Armani. Never Hilfiger, though, far too brash.
Old 02-07-18, 07:19 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Do not people buy designer valve caps? I usually go for Ralph Lauren or Armani. Never Hilfiger, though, far too brash.
I got a great deal on Rapha valve caps for just $39.99 a pair !!
Old 02-07-18, 08:07 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Insufficiently aero .... and too Schraederish. How will it look on longer stems? Well, I guess serious cyclists will machine their stems to leave just enough showing above the rim for a CO2 cartridge inflator--what serious cyclist would use a pump in the 21st century?

I think something as convenient and universal somehow has to be combined with something as specific and complex to manufacture as Shafter's effort from post #137 .... and then offered in a variety of colors.
Naturally all these concerns would be addressed. There'd be impressive computer-generated graphics to show how golf ball style dimples in the surface aid airflow around the boot, and then there's the highly advanced compound. Wait, dual compound. Make it triple. And these would naturally have their own cool names, such as 'Craterflow' and 'Tri-Gel'.
Old 02-07-18, 08:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Agreed, Shafters stem cap likely offers one of the highest performance advantages achievable,* short of something that can store braking energy and return it to forward propulsion on demand. (like in a sprint situation) Just think how much serious cyclists would pay for an advantage like that!

My only critique is the ugly flat black finish... that's been over played for years now. My preference would be a hi-vis/reflective finish, so I could safely remove my wheel reflectors.

*I'd still like to see the design submitted to an authority on cycle aerodynamics, like professor Squid, for definitive analysis.
Old 02-07-18, 08:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Are Presta valve stem caps uncool or what
Insufficiently aero.... and too Schraederish. How will it look on longer stems? Well, I guess serious cyclists will machine their stems to leave just enough showing above therim for a CO2 cartridge inflator--what serious cyclist would use a pump in the 21st century?

I think something as convenient and universal somehow has to be combined with something as specific and complex to manufacture as Shafter's effort from post#137 .... and then offered in a variety of colors.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
...*I'd still like to see the design submitted to an authority on cycle aerodynamics, like professor Squid, for definitive analysis.
All this high tech discussion about valve stem caps reminded me of this product, colorful flashing valve stem lights:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
One set of valve stem lights had the cute name, Tireflies.The problem I have seen with valve lights is that there is no way to easily turn them off during the day to conserve the batteries
Originally Posted by lbear
I thought tireflys might work. However I've seen older posts about them breaking. Has anyone had first hand experience with them. Also do they work on presta.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
You have to use Presta valve adapters to put them on since they are made for Schraeder valves.
When I bought them, I did think that the utility of such side lighting outweighed the arodynamic drag, and they looked cool.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-07-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 08:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
244din.jpg (49.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-07-18, 08:49 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
... short of something that can store braking energy and return it to forward propulsion on demand. (like in a sprint situation) Just think how much serious cyclists would pay for an advantage like that!

Solar Lithium Centrifugal Dynamic Presta Valve Caps! - I'm on it!
(Look for them at finer cyclists' shops near you!)
Old 02-07-18, 09:10 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My only critique is the ugly flat black finish... that's been over played for years now. My preference would be a hi-vis/reflective finish, so I could safely remove my wheel reflectors.
Good point. The Serious Cyclist crowd should investigate the aerodynamics of paint. I expect that high performance aircraft don't use Plain Ordinary Bicycle Paint and that there are good reasons for that. Perhaps Professor Squid can comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.