Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike stand lift adapter for ebikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19, 12:25 PM
yippee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just wondering if any of you have rigged something that can lift a heavier ebike onto a work stand.
My frame is also too wide to fit inside the clamp.
I put a dowel in the clamp and wrap a ratcheting stapdown around the bike and the dowel so I can lift the bike up.
Has anybody done anything that might work better?
Old 12-04-19, 12:43 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
My friend has a hydraulic bike stand; don't know the brand, but probably it's expensive. My stand, made by Performance can accommodate all my frames frame (including fat aluminum tubes), but I need to wrestle them on, and probably pull a muscle each time. Performance went out of business and the name was purchased, but don't know whether the new company still has the same stand.
Old 12-04-19, 01:52 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Don't know if it would work for you, but when I had a heavy e-bike I used my regular bike stand, but lowered it so the wheels almost touched the ground and then used a little stool to sit on when I worked on it. The stool had casters and I could scoot all around the bike, it was off the ground enough for the wheels to turn, and I only had to lift a few inches.
Old 12-05-19, 09:57 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I have a cheap stand and hold mine by the seat post, then rest the front wheel on a milk crate to maintain level balance. Since most of the maintenance involves the rear wheel being free to spin, this works out pretty well.
Old 12-07-19, 10:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Wouldn't mind an EVT EZ-lift, but the price is a bit much @$2300. My lbs has one for a mechanic with connective tissue problems. I saw a similar stand in France, not sure who makes that. I imagine there are a few in Europe due to the popularity of ebikes

on edit: the one I saw in France is a Var, which makes sense.

The minoura w-150 e-bike station repair stand looks interesting, but I don't see any prices or availability

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-07-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-14-19, 01:30 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I bought the Bikehand heavy duty stand (max 110lb) from Amazon. See that version is no longer available there but the standard one looks just the same:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway I had a similar problem trying to hoist my 50lb SWB.

Now I first tilt the stand down on the tips of its V legs and maneuver the bike into the open clamps, closing them back just enough to hold the top tube in place horizontally while allowing the bike to swing laterally. Then I gradually and carefully lift it up until the stand settles back in place. Still takes some effort but overall much easier than trying to squeeze an oversized frame into the clamps while bearing all the bikes weight in mid air. Have the stand’s post set to its lowest, which works best for this trick and is still more than high enough for me to service any bike I own. Of course it helps to have a buddy pulling the stand back up from the opposite side too but there are times when you have no choice but to go it alone.

If you happen to have access to a garage with open trusses then a winch or pulley system to hoist your bike is a no brainer. Wish my tenants hadn’t burned mine to the ground.

Last edited by andychrist; 12-14-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-24-19, 08:20 PM
Firedog91902

Bikes: Univega Superstrada, Serrota, Santana tandem, E plus

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html
Try one of these. I have an expensive bikehand work stand that doesn't get used much anymore. I have no problem lifting a 100lb.etandem to any height from a few inches to over head with the Harbor freight bike pulley. . I did put plastic shims next to the pulleys to be sure the rope doesn't jump off and modified the hooks a bit. The rope and locking latch work fine. I grab the bike with the Bikehand after lifting if necessary, but most jobs don't require a rigid mount.
Old 01-05-20, 12:28 PM
yippee

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, all, for your replies. Lately, I lift the bike and rest the rear tire on a plastic cat litter bucket which is high enough and then just clamp the seat tube to the bike stand.
At least I don't have to hold the bike in the air while I'm clamping it in.
Old 01-05-20, 02:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Having used the Park Stand PRS-33 extensively, I will say it is excellent for any bikes but excels at electric bikes and heavier bikes. It is not cheap but it is also not a cheaply made stand, it is quite well made and has handled daily use and abuse quite well.