Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chain Tension Question for Gravel Bike

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 10-07-22, 02:45 PM
ThunderOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I am extremely fortunate that SaltAir Cycles (https://www.saltaircycles.com/) is local to me. I currently ride a gravel bike and race the queen stage race at RPI (https://www.rebeccasprivateidaho.com/) every year. But for next year, I'd like to do it on a singlespeed.

With that said, since I have the option for any type of dropout, I was wondering what is the best method for chain tensioning on a gravel singlespeed bike? I've been reading up here (https://sheldonbrown.com/no-derailers.html) but feel it's always good to get different opinions from those who have gone down this route already.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-22, 08:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I like the enclosed dropouts of the All City Super Professional or the Otso Warakins. I don't like the other dropouts I have seen but I am one of those people who is unlikely to majorly change a set up on a bike from geared to single speed or vice versa. The only reason I would do that is for some sort of crazy do-it-all bike I have thought about on occasions but probably wouldn't ever build because currently SRAM is the only full wireless drivetrain and I would refuse to run DOT fluid brakes and it is a lot of work to remove the shifty bobs and put them back on.
Old 10-07-22, 10:21 PM
ThunderOne

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like the enclosed dropouts of the All City Super Professional or the Otso Warakins. I don't like the other dropouts I have seen but I am one of those people who is unlikely to majorly change a set up on a bike from geared to single speed or vice versa. The only reason I would do that is for some sort of crazy do-it-all bike I have thought about on occasions but probably wouldn't ever build because currently SRAM is the only full wireless drivetrain and I would refuse to run DOT fluid brakes and it is a lot of work to remove the shifty bobs and put them back on.
Love SRAM. Hate that they use DOT brake fluid. Matter of fact, just bled the brakes on my Wife's 9er this morning. Have to have two separate bleed kits because I have TRP brakes which, like Shimano, use mineral oil. Ugh! Plus DOT fluid is so bad for everything it touches. SRAM should have thought that out a little more.

Looking at those two examples you mentioned, I like them a lot. They seem like a solid choice. Thanks for sharing that!

In researching reviews on the TRP Hylex RS brakes (which are my choice now for brakes, I stumbled upon this setup https://road.cc/content/review/26231...ylex-rs-brakes.

Incredibly large photo below (not sure why it is so large)

Brake Tension Design by Dward

Now, this makes me wonder. Moving the axle forward and back to get the proper chain tension doesn't effect the disc and disc brake pad contact? I hadn't thought about this before. It appears it may be OK if they are making disc brakes for singlespeed bikes I suspect. This is the beginning of my research into building up a singlespeed bike so I am not sure about that.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts on chain tensioning options.
Likes For ThunderOne:
Old 10-09-22, 03:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sliding dropouts are the way to go. I have two bikes with that system, an All City Super Professional, and a Kona Unit. The Kona's version is more secure, but the All City's offers more precise adjustment.

One advantage of either is that the disc brake caliper moves with the axle, so you don't have to adjust (or even touch) the brakes when tensioning the chain. The other advantage is that the wheel drops right out when you need to remove it, and when you re-install, no further tension adjustment is needed.

Old 10-13-22, 12:48 AM
ThunderOne

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Sliding dropouts are the way to go. I have two bikes with that system, an All City Super Professional, and a Kona Unit. The Kona's version is more secure, but the All City's offers more precise adjustment.

One advantage of either is that the disc brake caliper moves with the axle, so you don't have to adjust (or even touch) the brakes when tensioning the chain. The other advantage is that the wheel drops right out when you need to remove it, and when you re-install, no further tension adjustment is needed.
Cool. That's the way I will go then. My builder also said the same.

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ve-option.html

Here is the link and photo.

Thanks again for the info. My research and parts list is coming along nicely. Will soon post my dream bike parts list for review.
Likes For ThunderOne:
Old 10-13-22, 09:17 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderOne
Cool. That's the way I will go then. My builder also said the same.
You can't go wrong with Paragon Machine Works. Good call.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-14-22, 07:54 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Sliders suck if you run a fixed drivetrain though, too much flex. I had trouble with a Bombtrack Arise binding up and destroying a couple hubs, although admittedly one had an alloy axle.

I assume you're running disc brakes.
Old 10-15-22, 12:19 PM
ThunderOne

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Sliders suck if you run a fixed drivetrain though, too much flex. I had trouble with a Bombtrack Arise binding up and destroying a couple hubs, although admittedly one had an alloy axle.

I assume you're running disc brakes.
Copy on sliders on a fixie. Good to know -thanks.

Yes, will be running disc brakes on my singlespeed. TRP brand: https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs-2/
Likes For ThunderOne: