Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How many are lucky enough to have a supportive significant other of a car free life?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How many are lucky enough to have a supportive significant other of a car free life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 02:37 AM
Profileclimb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm car free after losing everything in a divorce, I do want to buy another RV, as it is a simple life. I have a girlfriend that thinks what I do and all my bike riding is awesome and love the shape I'm in. She is starting to ride with me.move women are not tool aren't of a guy without a car, I feel lucky. I live in the car capital of SoCal, how ever cycling is more embraced here, so maybe I just got real lucky.
Old 01-02-14, 03:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Profileclimb
She is starting to ride with me.move women are not tool aren't of a guy without a car, I feel lucky.
Not sure what you mean by the above statement ... ??
Old 01-02-14, 03:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
When Rowan and I met, neither of us owned a vehicle. Rowan was living "car-free" in Hobart, Tasmania at the time ... and I was living "car-free" in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We met on the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200K in France.
Old 01-02-14, 04:01 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
When my partner and I met, we were both car-free. My insistence on riding in all conditions (snow, ice, rain, and once, a hurricane) made him nervous at first, but he's used to it by now.

We've been car-light for maybe 4 years now, and I'm slowly convincing him that it's time to go car-free. Happily, it's not taking a lot of convincing.

Originally Posted by Profileclimb
I live in the car capital of SoCal, how ever cycling is more embraced here, so maybe I just got real lucky.
When I lived in SoCal (North Orange County), I was surprised by how easy it was to do everything by bike and how cool most drivers were. But yeah, I knew some guys who lost out on dates because some women didn't want to deal with a guy without a car.
Old 01-02-14, 04:16 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My ex was dubious about us becoming car-lite, with me commuting by bike. She pressed me to get a car, and I had her do the math. She realized that my pedaling was the difference between us being in the black or in the red each month. She was also able to see me commuting, because our routes overlapped. She saw that I rode safely. After that, she supported me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-02-14, 05:48 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I knew some guys who lost out on dates because some women didn't want to deal with a guy without a car.
They should count themselves lucky for not having wasted their time on such bimbos.
Old 01-02-14, 05:36 PM
rockmom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The husband and I were both car free students when we met. We've just never bought a car and neither of us really like driving. He likes biking a lot and I like it well enough. I'm more of a public transit and walking kind of gal though. It all meshes well.
Old 01-02-14, 06:19 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My wife and I has no car for several years after we hooked up. Over the years we discovered the benefits of not being joined at the hip... so to speak.
Old 01-03-14, 05:17 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
When my wife and I sold my car and went car-lite she was the one who convinced me to do it. After doing the math and seeing how much we would save in gas and insurance, plus the debt that we would pay off and the money that would free up, it was a no brainer. It also helped that anything money from my car, over the cost of paying off the debt, was mine to use for items I needed to have a safer car-free existence.
Old 01-20-14, 08:48 AM
Profileclimb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
When my partner and I met, we were both car-free. My insistence on riding in all conditions (snow, ice, rain, and once, a hurricane) made him nervous at first, but he's used to it by now.

We've been car-light for maybe 4 years now, and I'm slowly convincing him that it's time to go car-free. Happily, it's not taking a lot of convincing.

When I lived in SoCal (North Orange County), I was surprised by how easy it was to do everything by bike and how cool most drivers were. But yeah, I knew some guys who lost out on dates because some women didn't want to deal with a guy without a car.
I live in Santa Clarita and over all motorists are friendly toward cyclists, and circling is big here too.