Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ti Merckx rebuild, possibly the greyest bike in the world

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 08:04 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 535 Posts

As I'm now in my 5th decade and my knees are starting to creak like a worn bottom bracket, I decided I need a bike with a triple. I've got a new fork and new wheels too so it turned out to be a near complete rebuild, the only parts I retained from the previous build was the gunmetal 3ttt bar and stem, Campag ti seatpost, headset, brake calipers and the Merckx bottle cages.

First up the new Max fork. Columbus recently made this tubing available again so I had these straight bladed forks made for this bike.

The shiny fork makes the bike look different to nearly every other ti bike ever with their carbon forks, so i decided to lean into being old and grey with shiny silver parts where i could.

I'd been stocckpiling parts for months and so had everything and was just waiting for the fork to be finished, which it was this week, so this weekend was build date.

I got some new wheels made too, some silver Campag Chorus hubs, 28h front and 32h rear, Sapim spokes laced to H+Son Archetype rims with the hideous logos acetone'd off. Fitted with 30c Vittoria Corsa Control in 30c. I could.probably.fit 32c tyres if I wanted, quite a surprise for a road bike.from 1996.

I managed to find sone NOS 10 speed Campag Chorus shifters and had those shipped over from Belgium. I also managed to find a NOS Campag Chorus triple crankset NOS front derailleur. I got the hard to find Campag Record 10 speed long cage rear derailleur from Germany, and managed to source the rest of the parts from ebay in the UK, apart from the silver saddle, which was surprisingly hard to find so i ended up grtting thst shipped over from.tje USA.

Ive got some silver Campag pedals with Look Delta compatible cleats for interchangeability with my other bikes/shoes, Koolstop brake pads, some grey cable outers and some Supacaz Bling bartape.

Finished putting it all together and I'm delighted with how it rides and looks and this 28 year old frame has scrubbed up nicely. With 30 gears I'm confident i can take on any hill that rolls into view and with all day comfort I look forwqrd to putting many miles on this
bike.. its early February in the UK and the weather is as grey as this bike, so over the coming weeks I'll photograph possibly the greyest bike in the world in the greyest surroundings, for the full 50 shades of grey experience, the Classic and Vintage version, not the S&M one

Old 02-11-24, 08:34 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
Nice looking bike, tasteful build. Fork is beautiful. What is the ride like ?

might be too harsh for me

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-11-24, 08:52 AM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by mpetry912

/markp
Thanks, it rides great, not harsh at all and probably the most comfortable of all my steel or carbon bikes, tho the marginally fatter 30c tyres than.my usual 28s contribute.

Last edited by botty kayer; 02-11-24 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 09:18 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

those Vittoria Corsa tires are great ! I have them on several bikes, fabulous ride and zero flats

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-11-24, 10:04 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
botty kayer - beautiful build, including the fork. Can I inquire who built it and how much it cost?
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-11-24, 10:28 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Close ups of the hubs please?
Never seen a 28 hole Chorus hub

And is that blood on the big ring?
Likes For Mackers:
Old 02-11-24, 10:30 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Mackers
I think rear is a 32 front is a 28

nice to see a silver bike for a change instead of black

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-11-24, 11:28 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 157 Posts
Very nice build. I am building up a couple sets of wheels using the same H+Son Archetype rims. Thanks for the tip on removing the logos.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 02-11-24, 11:54 AM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by masi61
botty kayer - beautiful build, including the fork. Can I inquire who built it and how much it cost?
I got the fork built by a shop in north east London in the UK called Mamachari. Not cheap compared to a carbon one, but just what I wanted and should last a lifetime.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 02-11-24, 12:01 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by Mackers

And is that blood on the big ring?
Its dark outside here now, so sorry for indoor pics. Rear is 32h and has Chorus marked on it, front is 28 but maybe isn't a Chorus then as it has no markings on it.

Both were part of a Harry Rowland built wheelset I had with these laced to some Mavic Open Pro's, which I wore thro, so replaced bearings and laced to these Atheseype's. Happy to be corrected as I"m no expert so which Campag variant do you think the front is?....if they are even Campag?

And as for the red/blood on the chainring, eww no idea, I didn't spill any claret, whatever it was washed off in the rain on the way home.

Last edited by botty kayer; 02-11-24 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 12:19 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Very nice build. I am building up a couple sets of wheels using the same H+Son Archetype rims. Thanks for the tip on removing the logos.
Nice. I've had a pair on my work bike.for the last 2 years and done big miles on them on crap road surfaces, and they've remained true and have plenty of life left in them, very impressed with them.
Old 02-11-24, 12:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 976 Posts
Very nice. Although if you really want to go all in on grey, you could have gone with a Campy Century Grey edition 10 speed groupset. The century grey is roughly the color tone as the 3TTT Prima bars, maybe a tinge darker.
Old 02-11-24, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912

/markp
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Thanks, it rides great, not harsh at all and probably the most comfortable of all my steel or carbon bikes, tho the marginally fatter 30c tyres than.my usual 28s contribute.
Ti frame with steel fork is a sweet combo! My first ti ride, Gwendalf Jone's personal Merlin MTB. Steel fork. (Family reunion ~1990. He's a 2nd cousin.) I knew within a 1/4 mile, this was it! Just needed to be a road bike but everything else was there. 2007 I'd come into a job where now a custom ti bike was affordable and TiCycles had already built me some (steel) stems and I'd seen a few of their ti bikes. So I ordered that ti bike with a steel fork.

Spent the next few months second guessing myself on the fork choice. Got the bike. And that ride! All there! Fork is just perfect. Belongs. Feels so right I never think about it. 3 years later I ordered a second ti bike, steel fork again. And again, the ride!

Now, I've never owned a carbon fork and won't. As reliable as they are, they have a failure mode way too close to the fork that nearly killed me and cost me a lot. The "what if" would be front and center every fast descent. But after riding ti bikes with steel forks, it just not a big deal. That combo is just that good. And you get to paint them! (Yes, the old B&W photographer in me loves the subtle shades of black and grey but fire engine red and silver is much more fun.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-11-24, 12:29 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 267 Posts
Those huge Graphene 2.0's would smooth out the ride.
You could do better with tires using thinner sidewalls.
Vittoria advertises them as possessing a "supple" ride.
I judge them as one of the more harsher riding tires - up there with Conti Gatorskins.
Good traction, durability, and puncture-resistance, tho. YMMV
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-11-24, 12:36 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Very nice. Although if you really want to go all in on grey, you could have gone with a Campy Century Grey edition 10 speed groupset. The century grey is roughly the color tone as the 3TTT Prima bars, maybe a tinge darker.
Yes you're right the graphite ones or whatever they called them are a bit darker than the 3ttt bar/stem.

I've got a double version....

....but I prefer the full shiny triple
Old 02-11-24, 12:53 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Its dark outside here now, so sorry for indoor pics. Rear is 32h and has Chorus marked on it, front is 28 but maybe isn't a Chorus then as it has no markings on it.

Both were part of a Harry Rowland built wheelset I had with these laced to some Mavic Open Pro's, which I wore thro, so replaced bearings and laced to these Atheseype's. Happy to be corrected as I"m no expert so which Campag variant do you think the front is?....if they are even Campag?
Yeah, front hub is a Novatec (also sold as Ambrosio.)
Likes For Mackers:
Old 02-11-24, 12:54 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Those huge Graphene 2.0's would smooth out the ride.
You could do better with tires using thinner sidewalls.
Vittoria advertises them as possessing a "supple" ride.
I judge them as one of the more harsher riding tires - up there with Conti Gatorskins.
Good traction, durability, and puncture-resistance, tho. YMMV
They're way nicer than Gatroskins imo, I actually prefer the Vittoria's grip in wet/damp conditions to the Conti gp5000s. And I live in the UK where wet and damp conditions are, erm, regular. And our road surfaces are pretty shocking so longevity trumps outright race/light weight/performance for me.
Old 02-11-24, 04:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Very sharp-looking build, did you replace the decals?

My own Merckx EX has a carbon fork that I suspect is as stiff as a typical steel fork. The ride is forgiving though, as these EX models featured the MX Leader geometry having angles around only 73 degrees (versus perhaps 75 degrees for a Corsa or Super Corsa).
LiteSpeed built of course, but Italian in flavor.

I found my bike particularly hard to photograph, having to go around the house seeking good enough lighting to capture it.
Mine is a well-used bike, bought from an older Ironman Triathlete who previously raced for the BSA factory, riding flat track (some of those motorcycles having titanium frames if I recall, their builder later going on to produce the Speedwell road bikes)!

Likes For dddd:
Old 02-11-24, 04:34 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
First up the new Max fork. Columbus recently made this tubing available again so I had these straight bladed forks made for this bike.
Who did you get to make the fork? Looks like one of the fork blades came up short
Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-11-24, 04:36 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I also find the Corsa 2.0 tires to be quite supple and grippy on rougher, steeper technical descents down into the American River Canyon.

Though these bikes hardly need softer tires, I am eager to try slightly wider tires on mine, Corsas it will be!
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-11-24, 05:23 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 267 Posts
They're way nicer than Gatroskins imo, I actually prefer the Vittoria's grip in wet/damp conditions to the Conti gp5000s. And I live in the UK where wet and damp conditions are, erm, regular. And our road surfaces are pretty shocking so longevity trumps outright race/light weight/performance for me.
You totally misunderstood me. I basically said both the Graphene 2.0 and Conti Gatorskins ride harshly.
The Vittoria's sidewalls are very thick. This will never contribute to a supple ride. My crotch does not lie!
So, bigger tires will help somewhat, but then again, you can find much nicer-riding tires out there.
Very tough tires, however. In a sense, that means more to us cyclists.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-11-24, 07:17 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Yeah, I have a frame that's screaming for a new "vintage" fork like that. Do they have a website to look at what type of work they offer?
Old 02-12-24, 02:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 976 Posts
Yes you're right the graphite ones or whatever they called them are a bit darker than the 3ttt bar/stem.

I've got a double version....

....but I prefer the full shiny triple
I guess the Chorus Century grey is really dark. The Centaur Century Grey is much lighter. Basically same shade as the 3TTT Prima bars:
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-12-24, 02:09 PM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
But what about Ultradynamico Cavas? You could get even greyer
Old 02-12-24, 02:41 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Can't resist asking,..... but are you going to wear an all grey jersey and shorts euen you ride that "greyest bike in the world"??
You might actually disappear too much against the streetscape and not be seen by drivers....seriously....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.