Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

26" wheel + big tires

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

26" wheel + big tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 07:59 PM
Altmangf
word.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" wheel + big tires

I'm looking to get a tandem for city cruising and light trails. I'm 6'4, and ride 61/62 cm road bikes, so I'd need a fairly large frame. I also like to run beefy tires on the road and trail. The Burley Rock&Roll / Samba seem like good candidates, especially if I can find a used one. What kind of tire clearance do these frames have? How much rubber have you all been able to squeeze into other 26" tandem frames?
Old 08-07-06, 10:02 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Choose quality over quantity of rubber, and you'll be fine. You can get super grippy tires in a 2.0.
Old 08-08-06, 10:32 AM
Altmangf
word.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many excellent tires available in 26x2.0 for trail use. I just prefer the ride of a larger volume tire, especially with the huge amount of roots on the trails in this area. Has anyone been able to get a 26x2.4 to fit in a Rock&Roll?
Old 08-08-06, 11:08 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar question. I also perfer big tires and I wonder if any tandems would fit a Big Apple 2.35" (60mm). I would guess most of the MTB tandems can but can anyone confirm if something like a Burley Samba/RocknRoll can fit a tire that big.

Craig
Old 08-08-06, 03:28 PM
Altmangf
word.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love that tire. I've got a pair for my 29er.
Old 08-09-06, 04:10 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
From Burley's Customer Service folks comes the following in regard to max tire diameter for the Rock 'n Roll:

"...2.35" would be about the largest size that would fit in the front fork. You might get a 2.5" in the rear but that would be pushing it. Good luck!"

I would note that "cutting it close" can come back to bite you if you end up taking your off-road tandem into muddy terrain. Mud and grit that clings to the tire's tread can quickly wear away the frame material at the fork and rear stays if the tire fits too tightly. Always err on the side of a little extra room if you plan to get those knobbies muddy. Probably preaching to the choir, but having seen my Ventana's aluminum brake bridge stays chewed up and also having some friends with a Calfee enduro tandem that had to have the rear stays replaced, I always feel compelled to pass this caution along to those considering big meaty tires on their off-road two-fers.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 08-09-06 at 04:44 PM.