Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Simplified training zone recommendations?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 02:39 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Pretty much all of training systems I see have 5 - 7 training zones. I'm not a racer, so I don't need that kind of specificity. I'd like to simplify it to 3 zones, basically, easy (Z1 - recovery), medium (Z2 - aerobic), and hard (Z3 - anaerobic). All the systems have a clear definition of Z1 vs. Z2. But, after their Z2/endurance, they have zones such as "tempo," "steady state," "climbing repeat," etc. So, if doing a 3 zone scheme, where would it be best to end Z2 and begin Z3? Would it be best to include any of those in Z2 -- I'm thinking maybe tempo -- or would all of those be considered Z3/anaerobic?
Old 05-09-24, 02:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
Pretty much all of training systems I see have 5 - 7 training zones. I'm not a racer, so I don't need that kind of specificity. I'd like to simplify it to 3 zones, basically, easy (Z1 - recovery), medium (Z2 - aerobic), and hard (Z3 - anaerobic). All the systems have a clear definition of Z1 vs. Z2. But, after their Z2/endurance, they have zones such as "tempo," "steady state," "climbing repeat," etc. So, if doing a 3 zone scheme, where would it be best to end Z2 and begin Z3? Would it be best to include any of those in Z2 -- I'm thinking maybe tempo -- or would all of those be considered Z3/anaerobic?
Product of a 5-second search:

How many training zones are there?

Old 05-09-24, 03:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,241 Posts
Is one training zone per expert/author overstating the case?

Old 05-09-24, 03:25 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 763 Posts
If 3 zones is what you want, what about starting your third zone at your FTP?
Most every Zone 2 definition I've seen covers a wide range, with a big difference in effort between low Z2 and high Z2, so why couldn't your Z3 do the same.
Old 05-09-24, 03:26 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Product of a 5-second search:

How many training zones are there?

Actually, their "3 zone model" would really be 4 zones, as their 1st zone is "endurance," and not "recovery." Looking at the %MAX HR, the 3 zone "endurance" actually covers the first THREE zones of the 5 zone model!! Since there is an overlap with LT in the 3 zone and tempo in the 5 zone, it appears including tempo with Z2 would work, especially given the hills by me. (Try not to go above tempo on steep hills for Z2 rides.)
Old 05-09-24, 03:59 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 525 Posts
Zones are used to clarify communication, especially between a coach and an athlete. The coach may have a specific workout goal in mind and to make sure the athlete follows the plan, more specificity is helpful so they can say "this much time in Zone X, then this much in Zone Y, repeat that three times." They're using zones in a prescriptive way, or maybe after the workout you're using them in a descriptive way to explain things to your coach.

If you're not following a specific training plan, or if you don't need to communicate with someone else either to get prescriptions or to give descriptions, you can pretty much use as many zones as you want. You do, after all, have the full post-ride data file, so you can see exactly what you did.
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-09-24, 05:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,408 Posts
From my reading, Americans use 5-7 zone models, whereas the Europeans use a 3-zone model. My understanding is that those 3 zones are:
1: Below VT1
2: Between VT1 and VT2
3: Over VT2

It's relatively easy to detect the break-points between these zones with one's breathing:
https://acewebcontent.azureedge.net/...VT_Testing.pdf

Once one learns to notice these breakpoints, it's possible to translate them into power and HR numbers and note how those numbers change as fitness increases. I've been training this way for years. There are Euro-based training systems which say, "only train in zones 1 ad 3." I don't have the time to make that work and have had good results doing a lot of training in all three zones, zone 1 the most, then 2, then much less in 3. Using the 5 zone system, I see the most time in 2, then 3, then 4, then 5. Almost no time in zone 1 because of the volume necessary for that to do anything.