Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

i want to build one of my roadbikes into a single speed..help?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 01:17 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts

ok so i have 2 candidates for this... one is a 10 speed duraace felt.. if i choose this one i will need? and figure out some levers i dont think sti 9will work in with this
levers and bull horn bars that will fit a 31mm threadless stem.. i will also need a jockey wheel.. i plan to use my 9sp shimano wheel set.. perhaps get an single speed adapter ..

or an this is the one i really want to do... use my CAAD 3 campy 8sp record bike this will... i have a campy 8sp crank set up front... and i can use a quill stem and will need a jockey wheel tension thing, and i need to know if i can use any combination of things that will allow me to use campy 8sp crank with a shimano wheel set.. i supose i could just use the ergo levers for brakes..

so what do you all think... is it possible to use a campy 8sp crank with a shimano chain and single speed adapter cog on back...

i dont know a thing about these compatibility issues... and my campy wheel set is destoyed..

help? and ideas..?
Old 04-07-16, 01:43 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Beautiful Dura Ace and Campy Record and you want to destroy it all?
Old 04-07-16, 03:17 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Single-speed is a lot more simple than you seem to think it is.
Old 04-07-16, 03:37 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
is old shot campy 8sp.. and all i want to know is can i use a converted single speed shim 9speed hub with my 8sp campy record crank.. its better to use even one bit of gear then have the bike go completely unused mho.. but the chain may not mesh with the 8sp tooth profile of the record chain ring vs the 9sp tooth profile of the casset.. or perhaps i need to get a single speed chain.. but will that be compat with the 8sp campy record chain rings? i dont know any thing about single speed stuff.. i guess i could just throw a shim der on the back and have that as a Jockey wheel.. and just see in a campy chain ring works with a single speed chain... if there is such a thing.. but what ever.. man.. im just trying to get some help getting my dale in riding shape..
Old 04-07-16, 03:51 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
A single-speed chain will work fine with whichever you choose. An 8-sp or 9-sp chain would probably work too. You're not shifting, so all it has to do is fit over the teeth. It's seriously really, really simple.
Old 04-07-16, 05:08 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
A single-speed chain will work fine with whichever you choose. An 8-sp or 9-sp chain would probably work too. You're not shifting, so all it has to do is fit over the teeth. It's seriously really, really simple.
This. Really good 8sp chains are super cheap, so that's an option if OP wants to re-purpose his derailleur as a tensioner.
Old 04-17-16, 08:18 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Don't even need an ugly chain tensioner if you get an eccentric bottom bracket.

Then you could ride the bike FG too with a flip flop hub.
Old 04-17-16, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Now I am all for FG/SS but when you are talking fine Italian components like Campy and Duraace and removing those to put something maybe not as swell I gotta go against it.
Get a dedicated FGSS rig or give me the Campy stuff and I will make sure it gets used properly : )
Always always always remember this formula N+1 where "N" is the number of bikes your currently have.
Old 04-17-16, 09:08 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, if the campagnolo bike is already shot, strip it down, sell the old parts and make it a SS. The bike with DA on it is still a useful bike- either sell it complete or use the thing as it was intended. Its a nicer bike than most people get to ride.

Back to the CAAD, you can use any rear wheel (with whatever kind of cog or singlespeed kit or freewheel or whatever that's compatible to the rear wheel you pick out) you want. Absolutely anything. Even if you keep the rear derailer to use as a tensioner. The chain doesn't care what brands of cogs it runs over, as long as the teeth aren't too wide for the chain (and 8 speed chains are relatively wide). Keep in mind that the existing chainring teeth are built so the chain has the ability to be pushed off by a derailer- go ahead and try the chainrings as-is, but keep in mind that you may need a singlespeed chainring.

As your bike has vertical dropouts, You will probably want to go singlespeed (freewheel), rather than fixed gear, because you will likely need to use a chain tensioner to keep the chain tight, which isn't a great idea with fixed drivetrains.

If your bike has integrated shifters, you can use them as just brake levers, but 1) you can sell the shifters and buy brake levers with money left over, and 2) I don't like the way integrated shifters flop around without shift cables on them. If your bike had downtube shifters, your brake sitation is already handled.