Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017 Race Plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 01:14 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
e.g. if you win that crit in a solo break, i bet your points will count.
hey now - both years at Cascade I've been yelling at you to go all the way OTF vs tailgunning the crit, but did you listen to me? nooooooooo
I'm sure it's the same amount of watts, right?
Old 01-20-17, 01:27 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
hey now - both years at Cascade I've been yelling at you to go all the way OTF vs tailgunning the crit, but did you listen to me? nooooooooo
I'm sure it's the same amount of watts, right?
i have gone OTF in a few -- but not at cascade.

i just couldn't do it -- wasn't physically capable of it the last 2 years @ cascade, and other riders were better.

2 years ago i had some weird stuff going on with my body coming back from all the injuries, and i had the 90-mile break in my legs from the prior day. last year i had no excuse -- i just wasn't physically up to the task of even getting to the front, much less to go OTF.

no amount of shouting encouragement was going to change that; we know this because your encouragement is top-notch, so had there been any way it would have worked. maybe this year?
Old 01-20-17, 04:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Think I'm going to do more stage races this year, with the goals of helping teammates who are moving through the ranks, and just participation and camraderie that comes with a weekend full of racing.

So far we're looking at:

VoS
TdM (Ominum)
San Dimas

I'd consider Tucson, but I think three stage race weekends in one month is a little bit much.
Old 01-21-17, 07:54 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Think I'm going to do more stage races this year, with the goals of helping teammates who are moving through the ranks, and just participation and camraderie that comes with a weekend full of racing.

So far we're looking at:

VoS
TdM (Ominum)
San Dimas

I'd consider Tucson, but I think three stage race weekends in one month is a little bit much.
TBC has 2 road stages, if that is of interest to you. (vs, say, VOS and SDSR, which each have a crit.)
Old 01-21-17, 08:52 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I ever decide to start doing road races, and lose a ton of weight or gain a ton of power, then I might consider doing an actual stage race. As it is though, I cant climb out of paper bag (so effing flat here) so anything longer than a minute or two im usually getting dropped on
Old 01-23-17, 12:23 PM
SnoryCewton
Chubby Chubby Cho-Choo

Bikes: Ghost Nivolet LC 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plans for 2017: First Cat5 Crit, April 4th.

Old 01-23-17, 12:51 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

So far we're looking at:

VoS
TdM (Ominum)
San Dimas

Yes, doing all those as well! I'm not really peaking for anything this season, but I'd like to do well at VoS. Been practicing on the TT bike quite a bit to get ready. Power is climbing steadily. I'm hesitant to mark anything an 'A' race with teammates because I'm not really trying to do a traditional taper/peak, but I figure if I can put down a really solid TT time then I can maybe ask for GC help.

San Dimas I'll likely be playing a more supportive role, since I'm not a climber.

Not sure what to make of TdM yet though.
Old 01-23-17, 01:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Yes, doing all those as well! I'm not really peaking for anything this season, but I'd like to do well at VoS. Been practicing on the TT bike quite a bit to get ready. Power is climbing steadily. I'm hesitant to mark anything an 'A' race with teammates because I'm not really trying to do a traditional taper/peak, but I figure if I can put down a really solid TT time then I can maybe ask for GC help.

San Dimas I'll likely be playing a more supportive role, since I'm not a climber.

Not sure what to make of TdM yet though.
TdM is anyone's race, since it's an omnium. Also, you don't have to be a pure climber to place well in the TT, because about half of the time is spent on flats.

Last edited by TMonk; 01-23-17 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 01:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My first race is Saturday: Cal Aggie. Fitness is not where I'd hoped it would be, so expectations are low.
Old 02-02-17, 09:58 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
USA Cycling Hill Climb National Championships &
The Broadmoor Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb
Saturday, August 12

Roads are closed so I can't really watch but junior is male registered rider #1. It is a RR and they start after the Fondo. There will be some passing/traffic and I would expect a few riders riding together/marking each other - I'm guessing. I can envision it actually being much slower than a TT, so maybe no Strava KOM. I expect junior would be happy to be there for the 14,115 "sprint". A former UCI pro posted he was going to do it, so no idea how this will turn out. It is the only National Championship that has P12345 in one group.

"The USA Cycling Hill Climb National Championship is in its second year. The start line is located at 9,390 ft./2,862 m. and the finish line is 156 turns, 12.42 mi./20 km, later, with an average grade of 7%, and a gain in altitude of 4,725 ft./1.440 m, to conclude at 14,115 ft./4,302m. The race is truly a unique experience on Pikes Peak - America's Mountain. It will be held in conjunction with The Broadmoor Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb Gran Fondo fun ride."

General Information
Old 02-07-17, 11:55 AM
DieterDrake

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston
Agreed. I always ran my fastest and lightest race tires at Battenkill. I recently started doing all my racing on wider (26c) tires, so I will likely do the same for Chico.
I don't know. It really depends on the year. We've had guys who've done both Roubaix and Battenkill and have commented that Battenkill was harder because of the elevation. The roads are worse some years for sure, better other years.
Old 02-07-17, 12:02 PM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieterDrake
I don't know. It really depends on the year. We've had guys who've done both Roubaix and Battenkill and have commented that Battenkill was harder because of the elevation. The roads are worse some years for sure, better other years.
Apples and Oranges, I think. I didn't say that Battenkill wasn't hard, just that I think a tougher tire isn't necessary. Of the 5 times I did it (it was def hard every time!), I got a pinch flat once and it was my own fault.
Old 02-07-17, 12:05 PM
DieterDrake

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apples and Oranges, I think. I didn't say that Battenkill wasn't hard, just that I think a tougher tire isn't necessary. Of the 5 times I did it (it was def hard every time!), I got a pinch flat once and it was my own fault.
Yep, OK. That's probably true. I've never ridden anything other than 23s on those roads, though with pretty industrial tubes.
Old 02-25-17, 08:36 PM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy moly, Paskenta gravel and Battenkill dirt are completely different animals. I was hit in the helment with a quarter sized rock at one point, but today was damn fun. Thanks for the tips everyone, got 19th of 76 and rolled in with the lead group.
Old 03-14-17, 08:59 AM
Doge

Colorado Boulder Roubaix DBC Events | Colorado's Favorite Cycling Event

Anyone done/know of this race?
I'm looking a bit at equipment choice and trying to figure out what will get ruined.
How many big bumps/pot holes? Is it dry - usually (looks it). Dusty?
Feed zone reasonable (vs a 25mph flat section)?

Old 03-14-17, 09:20 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't say that Battenkill wasn't hard, just that I think a tougher tire isn't necessary.
Old post, but +1. The dirt roads at Battenkill can get muddy but they are not tire killers. In most conditions the dirt roads are in better shape than some of the paved roads on the course.
Old 03-14-17, 04:26 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
@Doge, You have probably already seen this, but the courses and profiles got posted for collegiate nationals. Thought you might be interested. USA Cycling Collegiate & Para-Cycling Road National Championships - USA Cycling
Old 03-14-17, 08:44 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
@Doge, You have probably already seen this, but the courses and profiles got posted for collegiate nationals. Thought you might be interested. USA Cycling Collegiate & Para-Cycling Road National Championships - USA Cycling
Actually I had not. Thank you.
Junior only doing TTT, RR and Crit. Says the ITT is no big thing. I'm bummed a bit.

Last edited by Doge; 03-14-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 05:26 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Doge - re: equipment for Boulder-Roubaix - I haven't done this race, but I've done Rouge-Roubaix six times now, the last time was last Sunday. My guess is that the equipment demands are similar. If it's dry, a standard road bike would be fine. I know you like to go über-weight-weenie on wheels and tires, but I'd resist that temptation for this race and use standard-weight carbon wheels and relatively robust tires. If your son gets a flat or trashes a wheel, he's most likely SOL even with a wheel truck close behind. If it's wet, I'd go with a disc brake bike for mud clearance and the same wheels and tires. I raced a muddy course last Sunday and found to my chagrin that lots of room for tires often isn't enough room for tires and mud - had to stop twice when my front wheel almost seized solid from mud stuffed between the fork and tire, search for a stick and dig it out. Not everyone on road bikes had this problem, but I had lots of company. OTOH, the guy who won the P12 race was on a Specialized Allez Sprint, so it's not a death sentence.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-15-17, 09:43 AM
Doge

Thanks. If it is wet, it is unlikely he'll have the equipment at all. So I'm not going to worry about that. I pulled out the wheels he road in Paris-Roubaix and am changing the tires to the Veloflex Vlaanderen, which we bought for PR last year and he didn't do it, so didn't use them. They are lighter 27mm ish super nice. He's riding another set on wheels at school and says he doesn't need a spare with them.

Collegiate racing / post junior racing / this year - is much less stressful. A good result is of course nice, as is beating some old junior foes, but there is nothing on the line here. No cash, no trips, and as they are a club team, well - it is a bit like a recreational soccer game with expensive equipment. As there are 14mile laps he's really max 7 miles from support at any time. So if things go bad, not all that big a deal. I'd rather not ruin equipment. He is down to 3 road bikes, a MTB now (had a bike stolen and have insurance for replacement - another issue). I'll likely feed unless they are looking for drivers. Collegiate As start 2 min after the P12. So I expect some interesting group mixing. I'd be curious to hear the rule application on that.
Old 03-15-17, 10:21 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sounds like that will work well, best of luck to him!

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-18-17, 10:47 PM
Doge

Anyone got a good list of late June / early July races that are not USA Nationals? Seems things are real quiet in CO, NorCal and SoCal.

Calling the European posters - anything your end?
Old 03-18-17, 11:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Anyone got a good list of late June / early July races that are not USA Nationals? Seems things are real quiet in CO, NorCal and SoCal.

Johnson City (TN) Omnium is around then.
Old 03-19-17, 06:32 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge

mid july and probably not really what you're looking for, but intelligentsia cup in chicago.
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd think the season would be in full swing up in Canada, eh?

https://www.cyclingcanada.ca/sport/ro...vent/domestic/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.