Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chixie Crank Puzzle - BB86

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 02:50 PM
lestrange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I know this will probably get ugly quickly, comments wise, and possibly solution wise, but I was looking at some of the newer Chinese Carbon Fixie frames for $225 bucks.
Ok, seems they are perhaps late to the game here with a fixie frame, and they are Chinese, and there may be pending tariffs, BUT, they weigh less than three pounds.
The other issues is they all seem to be using BB86 bottom brackets.
Which begs the question what is a good single ring crank for these - that's relatively cheap - keeping in mind the cost for the BB and the overall Chinonomix objective?

Last edited by lestrange; 08-28-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 03:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
What type of rear dropouts are you getting on the frame? Adjustable wheel position?

There eccentric BB30 and PF30 bottom brackets. I can't tell if there are also BB86 eccentrics.

Do you want to use a 24mm or a 30mm spindle?
Old 08-30-19, 05:21 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
You can get single rings for pretty much any crankset nowadays since everyone seems to be moving to 1x. A lower end shimano road crank like a Claris R2000 could be the ticket as long as you can find a chainring of the right size that fits it,s BCD.
Old 08-30-19, 06:07 AM
lestrange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the Claris would work but its Octalink V2 spindle on the older versions ( so no BB86 to Octalink BBs that I know of) and the newer 24mm versions have limited chain ring options - ideally, it would be good to have a 46 or 48 chain ring but the BB86 bottom bracket limits the options.

The frames do have track drops so there is plenty of room for chain adjustment.
Old 08-31-19, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I never understood the want for cheap carbon frames from unknown manufacturers with odd BB standards that don't work well with the cranks they are trying to use. Give me something with a good threaded BB whether BSA or T47 and give me a known brand with warranty just in case. Unknown stuff with odd sizes or bodged road bikes into fixed gears just doesn't do it for me.

If you want a good ring for 1/8 or 3/32 chains Sugino Messenger chainrings work well as do Surly chainrings. You can find cheaper stuff it generally isn't hard but quality over quantity or price. I would rather have something that lasts a long time and keeps my drivetrain relatively quiet than just cheap.