Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is my cassette worn out or they trying to rip me off?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is my cassette worn out or they trying to rip me off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 03:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
The Rohloff checker .... 14 spd when we get there)
Speaking of Rohloff they have been there at 14 since 1996 (or technically realistically 1998). We don't need to get there we need to get more of them out there.
Old 08-08-21, 02:20 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 381 Posts
Your front inner looks worn and your cassette looks worn.
Replace the set and the chain, inspect your read derailleur wheels for wear

CE
Old 08-08-21, 04:03 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
A) Yeah, but every chain I had on 5 different bikes for 10 years made me suspect the tool. Checking with a metal ruler verified that.
B) I figured, but wanted to warn the OP and anyone else reading this that there are probably better tools for the job. I have no idea how any of the other tools measure up (pun intended), or even other units of the same one I had, because the metal ruler worked well enough to not need one.

edit: Actually, looking at your picture of various options, I think I had the third one down and not the second. I assume the longer they are, the more likely they are to be accurate (or at least closer).
As I'm sure have been pointed out a million times before, Its a complete crapshoot measuring chain wear in between the rollers like the older park tool gauges does. The rollers of different chains are not the same diameter and the bore in the rollers are also more or lees loose. Assuming proper manufacturing, the better option is the newer style gauges that pushes the rollers to the same side, a steel ruler or a digital Vernier (if you note the new chain dimension and calculate a reasonable allowable wear).
Old 08-08-21, 05:19 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Please stop assuming people are trying to rip you off all the time. Look we are frequently seeing bikes that see a bare minimum of service and many people who only come in when the bike becomes nearly unrideable, we are trying to make the bike work as safely and optimally as possible. If your chain is worn it will usually also wear in your cassette and maybe just maybe you might be able to get a chain or two extra on that cassette but only with more frequent replacement and proper care and maintenance as well as good shifting practices.

Generally most mechanics have plenty of work to do and are not getting paid by the install or work they do (some are I am sure but not many) so adding extra work to a bike when it isn't needed is just silly, we would much rather crank more bikes out and get the schedule moving along so we have fewer customers complaining that it takes time to work on a bike and their bike should be magically pushed ahead of all the other bikes because they have something or another that is so much more important than everyone else who came before them. I don't mean it to sound like a jerk but it is the way things are. I understand we all want our bikes bike quickly but we also want them to work right and we don't want to have to keep coming back in for issues in short periods of time.
Find a bicycle shop that you trust so that you don't have to run the the internet to check every time they make a suggestion that will help your bicycle run better even if it will cost you more money. Once you trust the mechanic you should no longer worry whether they are trying to rip you off.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 08-08-21, 06:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Most people don't go to the bike shop often enough to really develop a relationship.
Old 08-08-21, 11:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Most people don't go to the bike shop often enough to really develop a relationship.
Now that the bicycles are hard to find, the one lbs says they've had the same customer come in as much as 2x a week to check in on the inventory. Hopefully that'll build a better relationship in the near future.
Old 08-08-21, 08:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Your front inner looks worn and your cassette looks worn.
Replace the set and the chain, inspect your read derailleur wheels for wear

CE
Look at the size of the teeth on the 4th cog down and the size of the gap between teeth compared to the cog above it. IMO from the pictures I'd replace the cassette.
Old 08-08-21, 09:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Look at the size of the teeth on the 4th cog down and the size of the gap between teeth compared to the cog above it. IMO from the pictures I'd replace the cassette.
You're looking at shift gates on a few of the sprockets including the 4th one or so.

Keep in mind when looking at the sprockets from the top, what is happing on the right side of each tooth is irrelevant.

All the pulling is done on the left side of the teeth.

There is some wear, but I'm not convinced it is enough to cause skipping just yet. Nonetheless, this isn't a bad time to replace while the bike is in the shop.