Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I hate carbon !!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I hate carbon !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 07:25 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Niner makes a carbon "adventure" / CX bike with front rack mounts, and the price isn't egregious: RLT 9 RDO 2-STAR APEX 1
not egregious? $3000 bucks for a bike with (almost) no gears? or $2000 for the steel version?

you need to mosey over to the "i luvs me some crabon" thread, where discussion of price
is not permitted.
Old 05-13-17, 07:36 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
not egregious? $3000 bucks for a bike with (almost) no gears? or $2000 for the steel version?

you need to mosey over to the "i luvs me some crabon" thread, where discussion of price
is not permitted.
That's full retail. The actual price may vary considerably. My local shop sold a demo model of the steel version in near-perfect condition for just over $1,000.

I consider $3k excellent for a full carbon bicycle with a good wheelset and good component choices. You're also talking to the wrong person when you mention the available gears.....
Old 05-13-17, 02:01 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

is not permitted.

If you're buying from a shop, most places will drop that price by a lot once you get closer to the end of the year and the newer models have been out for a bit. MSRP on my last CX bike was something like 4k, got it for 1500.

Last edited by manapua_man; 05-13-17 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 05:56 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I will tell you, there is one fatal flaw of carbon bikes, and it really puts me off.
They don't come in my size.
Old 05-13-17, 08:06 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by manapua_man
If you're buying from a shop, most places will drop that price by a lot once you get closer to the end of the year and the newer models have been out for a bit. MSRP on my last CX bike was something like 4k, got it for 1500.
oh, okay, so i should compare the end of year closeout crabon price with the
hot off the presses full retail real steel price?

msrp on my last steel frame was something like $500, but i got the closeout for about $85.
Old 05-13-17, 09:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Niner makes a carbon "adventure" / CX bike with front rack mounts, and the price isn't egregious:

RLT 9 RDO 2-STAR APEX 1

I own a Niner RLT 9 RDO which y'all are discussing and would be happy to answer any questions not answered in the build thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...rdo-build.html

Side loader cages were installed since the photo was taken.

This isn't a CX bike. It has an endurance road geometry, not a tight CX geometry. The RLT 9 RDO is Niner's gravel racing bike. RDO stands for "Race Day Optimized". The carbon layup (schedule) is very similar to that used on their mountain bikes and Niner tests them to mountain bike specs. Niner forks are revered in the gravel/MTB world.

This one is Ultegra Di2 50/34 front, 11/36 rear, 16° flared carbon bar, 29er wheels with larger rotors than the factory builds, Schawlbe G-One 35's (38 actual). It will fit 45's, maybe a little less in the rear. 19.8 lb with pedals, cages and GPS mount. Cost was a few dollars north of $6k.

Over the next year I plan on adding Apidura seat and bar bags and might get a Warbonnet hammock and/or start doing some light credit card touring. I'd like to tour Andalucia, Spain in 2019 or 2020 and would not hesitate to do it on this bike.

I couldn't care less if someone hates it.

PEACE

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-13-17 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 11:45 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh, okay, so i should compare the end of year closeout crabon price with the
hot off the presses full retail real steel price?

msrp on my last steel frame was something like $500, but i got the closeout for about $85.

No, I'm saying you shouldn't get hung up on MSRP regardless of the bike. There's plenty of overpriced steel and aluminum around too.

Besides, most bike shops I've dropped in to seem to sell below the listed price on the manufacturers site anyway.

Last edited by manapua_man; 05-13-17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 11:50 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I don't hate carbon, and actually have no direct experience with carbon bikes, outside of a carbon fork and seatpost about 10 years ago, with which I experienced no problems. A good friend of mine swears by it. The only reservation I would have about carbon is air transportation, those plane loading guys don't fill me with confidence. If touring in your own country, there may be no downside.
Old 05-14-17, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
So here is the real issue. If I go touring on my Trek Bicycle how can I talk about Crabons on BF?
Old 05-15-17, 11:50 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I own a Niner RLT 9 RDO which y'all are discussing and would be happy to answer any questions not answered in the build thread.

-Tim-
After poo poo'ing carbon, because I'm kind of rough on my bikes, I started pondering the RLT 9 RDO and now the Haanjo EXP, the price is just too hard to beat. My concern with both is comfort. I realize this is a somewhat subjective opinion but how comfortable is the RDO compared to your most comfortable bike and what is your most comfortable bike?
Old 05-15-17, 12:49 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I drove my carbon bike (Specialized Sirrus) into a roof, while it was fastened on a roofrack. Tore the whole roofrack off the roof with the bike still on. Got out of my car, walked to where the roofrack lay with the bike, separated the two, took the bike to the bike shop. Shop checked it out. Broke, two spokes and a brake handle. Other than that the bike was ok. That was two years ago and I'm still riding that sucker. :-)

Having said that, I do enjoy riding my Surly Disc Trucker more. I'm about same speed on both bikes. Go figure - probably the drop bars vs flat bar on the specialized Sirrus give me better aerodynamics. No idea.

Besides the pedals (one day I might put titanium eggbeaters on it), I have optimized everything else to save weight. Added carbon handlebars, carbon stem, carbon seat post, titanium rail bicycle seat, carbon rims, riding tubeless... I don't think I've gotten much faster than the original bike configuration ;-) I don't think adding the titanium eggbeaters will change that ;-) but when it comes to strength of the material I have no fear of carbon.
Old 05-15-17, 05:51 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I drove my carbon bike (Specialized Sirrus) into a roof, while it was fastened on a roofrack. Tore the whole roofrack off the roof with the bike still on. Got out of my car, walked to where the roofrack lay with the bike, separated the two, took the bike to the bike shop. Shop checked it out. Broke, two spokes and a brake handle. Other than that the bike was ok. That was two years ago and I'm still riding that sucker. :-)

Having said that, I do enjoy riding my Surly Disc Trucker more. I'm about same speed on both bikes. Go figure - probably the drop bars vs flat bar on the specialized Sirrus give me better aerodynamics. No idea.

Besides the pedals (one day I might put titanium eggbeaters on it), I have optimized everything else to save weight. Added carbon handlebars, carbon stem, carbon seat post, titanium rail bicycle seat, carbon rims, riding tubeless... I don't think I've gotten much faster than the original bike configuration ;-) I don't think adding the titanium eggbeaters will change that ;-) but when it comes to strength of the material I have no fear of carbon.
I want the comfort of the AWOL/Vaya and a lot more pep but I'm not sure it's possible, my fear is that I'd end up in a situation like you, the $$$$ carbon would be no faster than the Vaya and less comfortable to boot.
Old 05-16-17, 05:22 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
I don't know why anyone would hate carbon or any other modern bike frame material. They all have advantages and disadvantages. It's clearly demonstrated in this thread that certain carbon bikes are well suited for touring. Very light bikes can be made from steel tubes or heavy weights can be carbon. Weight, strength, geometry, fit, ride quality, and accessories are a consideration no matter the material. Do we all have a preferred frame material? Probably. Are some more suitable for certain applications? Maybe. Is one clearly superior to the others? No. It's an age old discussion that will never end.
Old 05-16-17, 05:27 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if it's possible to hate inanimate objects. Then again, this is bikeforums.
Old 05-16-17, 07:57 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
I don't know if it's possible to hate inanimate objects. Then again, this is bikeforums.
Don't see anybody hating carbon. Kind of dull, really.
Old 05-16-17, 08:24 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So here is the real issue. If I go touring on my Trek Bicycle how can I talk about Crabons on BF?
I can post to BF from my cell phone. Don't leave signal range, I guess?
Old 05-16-17, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I can post to BF from my cell phone. Don't leave signal range, I guess?
Couldn't take the cellphone but I have 5 different carbon accordions ; )
Old 05-16-17, 09:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
You can't hate carbon, it's essential to life as we know it.
Old 05-18-17, 12:31 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by jon c.
You can't hate carbon, it's essential to life as we know it.
I'm an American damnit and I can hate whatever I want...U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

Old 06-07-17, 01:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm adding a pointless update: someone was selling new Eggbeaters 3 for $50 so I gave them a try. Saved 200 grams! ;-) And this morning I was 1 minute faster on a 14 mile commute! ;-) ... ok I'm going to chuckle to myself ...

Old 06-07-17, 07:02 PM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have optimized everything else to save weight. Added carbon handlebars, carbon stem, carbon seat post, titanium rail bicycle seat, carbon rims, riding tubeless... I don't think I've gotten much faster than the original bike configuration ;-)
Have you optimized the weight of the motor😁?
That's what I'm working on🤣
Cheers!
Have you optimized the weight of the motor
Old 06-07-17, 07:48 PM
PedalingWalrus

Do not tell me I need to put out more effort!

... And yeah, the motor size could be a minor factor 😁
Old 06-07-17, 09:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
After poo poo'ing carbon, because I'm kind of rough on my bikes, I started pondering the RLT 9 RDO and now the Haanjo EXP, the price is just too hard to beat. My concern with both is comfort. I realize this is a somewhat subjective opinion but how comfortable is the RDO compared to your most comfortable bike and what is your most comfortable bike?
I'm sorry I didn't see this @edthesped. Hopefully you will see this.

I can't speak to it's durability but the Jamis Renegade Elite is another you may want to look at. It has an amazing parts mix and I would likely own it if it came with Di2.

The Niner is easily the most comfortable bike I own. My others are a highly modified steel fixed gear bike which rides like butter and an older Aluminum Fuji endurance bike which is actually rather harsh. The Niner just fits me better than the others but fit aside, I really enjoy riding the carbon. Keep in mind that this is the only carbon bike I've ever owned so my experience is limited but it does seem to absorb any harshness where the steel bike flexes and the aluminum bike transmits. I beat the crap out of the Niner too. I built it to ride, not to worship and am not afraid to use it.

Don't hesitate to send a PM if you have specific questions and please let me know what you decide.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-07-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 10:37 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Friend of a friend hit a tree last week. The Whisky carbon fork was completely (visually) undamaged while the Surly ICT frame folded in half. Now, that fork is likely compromised too, but it's a demonstration of the impact resistance and relative strength of modern carbon. The entire bike folded before the steering tube (also carbon) failed.
I had 3 crashes with steel bikes running into a car & all 3 times the frame was totaled.

I say modern carbon very specifically because there has been a long maturation period to the material, and improving technologies in ultrasound and manufacturing in the last decade or so has really brought things to a new level. Today's carbon is many orders of magnitude more reliable than the carbon bikes of the onset.

I have no reservations about carbon. I used to, but I don't anymore. I usually gravitate towards steel for aesthetics, but my list of other reasons (durability, vibration damping, ride feel) is getting shorter since Carbon bikes often out-perform Steel in all categories, even flex. Even budget-wise, it's getting more accessible, and the entry level frames today compare well to pro frames from two or three years ago.

Carbon today? Totally different animal. I have zero reservations.
I agree, main problem is choice & options. I want a CF tourer with couplers, room for fat tires/fenders, suspension-fork option & split rear drop-out for belt drive.
Old 06-07-17, 10:46 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I had 3 crashes with steel bikes running into a car....
simple solution......stop running into cars!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.