Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Repair Broken SS Bottle Cage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Repair Broken SS Bottle Cage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 11:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Has anyone called the OP a cheap-ass, yet?
Originally Posted by seypat
I think he prefers the word thrifty. There comes a point however........
Cheap-asses often do.
Yes, this cheap-ass is thrifty.

Thanks for the comments. Since I ride a Ti bike I like metal cages. Al ones are cheap but mark the bottles. Ti is fly but Ti cages are too pricey. I don't really like CF cages as they cannot bend to adjust for slightly different conditions and/or bottles, so Plan A is try a cheap repair job and Plan B is get a new SS cage.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-02-22, 11:47 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions for repairing a broken spoke? I don't want to throw it out if it can be repaired.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-02-22, 12:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Thanks for the comments. Since I ride a Ti bike I like metal cages. Al ones are cheap but mark the bottles. Ti is fly but Ti cages are too pricey. I don't really like CF cages as they cannot bend to adjust for slightly different conditions and/or bottles, so Plan A is try a cheap repair job and Plan B is get a new SS cage.
For a metal, round-tubed bike, I certainly share the preference for metal cages.

I've never heard that Al cages would mark up bottles in a way that Ti wouldn't.... are you talking about paint rubbing off or something?
Old 06-02-22, 12:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You can solder Stainless if you use a strong acid flux. I'm going to be using the stuff on a stainless kettle as soon as I get the flux delivered. Stainless is a pain to weld because it needs an inert gas, right?
I'm amazed by what highly skilled welders can do. When I rode dirt bikes I had a failure which caused the magnesium center case to be damaged by a bearing for the transmission mainshaft. New cases were super expensive but I found a welder who could close the damaged hole (it was about 17mm diameter) down to where it could be machined out to accept the oem bearing. He welded little beads around the i.d. and stacked them to the top of the hole.

Same guy later welded up a hole in an aluminum a/c line from a customer's car. Saved a lot of money using this guy.

What kind of solder are you using on stainless?
Old 06-02-22, 12:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
For a metal, round-tubed bike, I certainly share the preference for metal cages.

I've never heard that Al cages would mark up bottles in a way that Ti wouldn't.... are you talking about paint rubbing off or something?
Aluminum cages turn the bottle black wherever they contact the bottle. I'm sure you've seen disgusting bottles before?
Old 06-02-22, 12:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by big john
Aluminum cages turn the bottle black wherever they contact the bottle. I'm sure you've seen disgusting bottles before?
This. Not sure if it's aluminum oxide or something else, but it is a thing.
Old 06-02-22, 12:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
All of my bottles look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet, regardless of cage. Right or not, I've always attributed the ugliness to abrasion from road grit, and whatnot, as they're inserted/removed from the cages. I can't say that I've noticed chemical blackening, though the Al cages that I have are both black, so maybe that's enough of a barrier?
Old 06-02-22, 12:46 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I'm amazed by what highly skilled welders can do. When I rode dirt bikes I had a failure which caused the magnesium center case to be damaged by a bearing for the transmission mainshaft. New cases were super expensive but I found a welder who could close the damaged hole (it was about 17mm diameter) down to where it could be machined out to accept the oem bearing. He welded little beads around the i.d. and stacked them to the top of the hole.

Same guy later welded up a hole in an aluminum a/c line from a customer's car. Saved a lot of money using this guy.

What kind of solder are you using on stainless?
Lead free solder, so tin/silver. No need for the fancy 95% silver electronics solder.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 06-02-22, 01:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts

I ride two custom ti bikes with SS King cages. They look pretty darn decent on those bikes and like I said previously, they work. Haven't repaired one yet. (I've been using them since about 2000, replacing my ancient TAs as they tired, then buying more for new bikes. So I have maybe 80k miles with King cages but no tracking on how far any has gone. (But always two per bike, sometimes three once the TAs where replaced.)
Old 06-02-22, 01:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
You shouldn't put CF on there anyway. That's like a ticking time bomb.
Are you trying to goad someone into saying the word "assplode"? If so, voila, you win.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-02-22, 03:18 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Let me make sure I'm following the conversation correctly. It's bad to have a water bottle on your bike with black marks made by certain cages. People might see them. But it's not bad to have a DIY, jerry-rigged cage on your bike as long as it doesn't mark your bottles. Who cares, it's only a bottle cage. Is that the message I'm getting here?
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-02-22, 03:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Let me make sure I'm following the conversation correctly. It's bad to have a water bottle on your bike with black marks made by certain cages. People might see them. But it's not bad to have a DIY, jerry-rigged cage on your bike as long as it doesn't mark your bottles. Who cares, it's only a bottle cage. Is that the message I'm getting here?
It’s like a Bob Dylan song. Many interpretations and it’s both shallower and deeper than you think.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-02-22, 03:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Are you trying to goad someone into saying the word "assplode"? If so, voila, you win.
Here at bikeforums, we put the ass in asplode. Amiright?
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-02-22, 06:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I fixed a Velo-Orange stainless cage by slipping a nail inside the tubing at the break and silver brazing it in place. After a little clean up, you could barely tell it was broken there.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-02-22, 07:23 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Ebay, free shipping, five bucks and up. Too much energy and time invested already.
Old 06-03-22, 06:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
If it fatigued enough to fail at one point it's probably fatigued enough to fail someplace else.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I bet the cage broke at the tube-to-tube weld, ie the weak point of the cage.
I'm pretty sure King Cages are formed from a single tubular piece of metal, bent to shape and then the two ends are welded together. If I'm right about that there is not an equivalent weak point on the opposite side; the cage has already broken at its one weak point.

[edit: well, okay, the bracket(s) that the mounting bolts pass through are a separate piece of metal welded to this one tube, so those welds are a potential weak point to.]

Which is not to say it couldn't break elsewhere just due to metal fatigue, but that would suggest a pretty indelicate style of drinking on the bike.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 06-04-22 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 09:32 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by popeye
Ebay, free shipping, twenty five bucks and up. Too much energy and time invested already.
fixed for quality stainless steel. But I concede your point. Maybe.
Old 06-03-22, 09:38 AM
seypat

How about a bike ride tomorrow that goes to Lancaster, PA..............to the Universal Cycles store and back. That could be fun and productive.
Old 06-03-22, 10:29 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I confess, while this makes my inner “tight azz” glow with pride. I think I would just throw it away, by it time I purchased the epoxy/solder/JB weld and spent time finding the right piece to fit it, and then be concerned about it failing. I may as well move on to a new replacement.
Old 06-03-22, 11:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

For the cost of a little epoxy/solder and scrap plus a little care to do a neat job and maybe a half hour of labor the OP can save $20 and keep that cage out of the trash or recycling (the old mantra - reduce, reuse, recycle; in that order). He gets to have some fun and use that cage with pride. Is that bad?

Oh, and re: aluminum cages - every one I have used to failure has broken and shed the bottle on a ride. The steel cages I have used have been retired or repaired because they broke at one weld but still retained the cage and bottle and (most important) finished that last ride with the bottle - the only reason I carry cages in the first place). They also don't mark bottles. (To me, the marked bottles are a warning that I have a temporary cage; that I need to replace it before it breaks.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-03-22, 11:50 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For the cost of a little epoxy/solder and scrap plus a little care to do a neat job and maybe a half hour of labor the OP can save $20 and keep that cage out of the trash or recycling (the old mantra - reduce, reuse, recycle; in that order). He gets to have some fun and use that cage with pride. Is that bad?

Oh, and re: aluminum cages - every one I have used to failure has broken and shed the bottle on a ride. The steel cages I have used have been retired or repaired because they broke at one weld but still retained the cage and bottle and (most important) finished that last ride with the bottle - the only reason I carry cages in the first place). They also don't mark bottles. (To me, the marked bottles are a warning that I have a temporary cage; that I need to replace it before it breaks.)
Or he can gather up what scrap he has and take it to a place like this. You gotta love their catch phrase. Get enough to pay for the new cage. That's what I do with metal stuff like old auto parts, etc. He then would look like a scrap man/dumpster diver/Fred Sanford, though. He might think that look is worse than both marked water bottles or a repaired cage.

https://smithironmetal.com/
Old 06-03-22, 11:59 AM
seypat

This leads to another question.

How long should a water bottle last before it is replaced? I open mine most of the time by clamping teeth down on the nipple and pulling. I do realize it's a family forum. Surely those get worn out after many cycles of doing that.
Old 06-03-22, 12:11 PM
79pmooney

How long should a water bottle last before it is replaced? I open mine most of the time by clamping teeth down on the nipple and pulling. I do realize it's a family forum. Surely those get worn out after many cycles of doing that.
For me, that's easy. When the bottle leaks enough that I get electrolyte on the bike from bottles I haven't drank from yet. Cap threading also goes downhill with time. Usually better/ more expensive bottles last longer before they flunk this criteria but not always.
Old 06-03-22, 11:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts

I've used King titanium cages (on my better bikes) since the 90's - road and off-road

lightweight (28g) - durable - and work very well; never lost a bottle

worth the added expense in my opinion
Old 06-04-22, 04:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts

I bought my last conventional water bottles decades ago. Since then, I've been using 24-oz Gatorade bottles - the ones with the twist-to-open tops. Under two dollars per bottle. They've fiddled with the plastic formulation over the years, with some versions tending to crack after a year or so of use. The most recent version seems as if it'll last forever. The ones I have on my bike currently must be over five years old.

And, of course, you get either the bottle or the Gatorade free, depending on how you look at it. The only problem: most stores no longer carry the 24-oz bottles for some reason.

And I never bother closing the twist top. I figure I'm constantly breathing in whatever gets into or onto the bottle top anyway.

Last edited by Trakhak; 06-05-22 at 06:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.