Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Chicago

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 07:40 PM
eldercycling

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Greetings from Chicago

Hi all! I am from Chicago and am fairly new to cycling and repairing bikes. I started cycling a a couple years ago when I got a Specialized Allez Comp from a friend. Even more recently I have become completely obsessed with working on bikes after a friend found an old Motobecane Mirage in an alley. He works as a bike mechanic and wasn't interested in working on it so I took it and committed myself to restoring it. I cleaned it up, changed the old cottered crank and bottom bracket to a new GXP configuration and it is my new daily rider. I also finally, with my new found knowledge and enthusiasm for repairing bikes, fixed up a bike I inherited from my grandfather. It is some old threespeed he got from K-Mart in the 70s and it had nothing but loose ball bearings in the bottom bracket.

I've really enjoyed working on bikes recently as it has been a very helpful and sanity preserving activity while I complete my dissertation. I'm very interested in fixing up old road bikes and giving them new life. I also have lots of questions and I will benefit greatly from the collected wisdom here. Long time reader, first time poster.

Best,

T
Likes For eldercycling:
Old 02-09-24, 08:16 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Hiya. I'm in Elburn and have been cycling and futzing with bikes since the early 60s.
Old 02-09-24, 08:20 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Check out the Park Tool repair guides. They explain the methods in detail, step-by-step. Some bike components aren't obvious at first, but are easy once the correct methods are followed.
For example, threadless headsets: the top cap is only for adjusting the bearing pre-load, but that's not obvious until I understood how it worked.
Old 02-09-24, 08:22 PM
eldercycling

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh I already got the Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair and have admired C. Calvin Jones' moustache on. youtube many many times.