Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selling groupset on ebay. Should I separate?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 03:14 PM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts

I have a groupset I'm looking to sell on ebay.
Is it more profitable to separate the parts into multiple auctions or sell the groupset as a whole?
Would there be any difference in selling fees?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
Old 04-06-18, 06:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Completely depends on the specific group and condition.

Something older could net more by selling individually as people look to but one part as needed for replacement.

Really though, its often more profitable to sell individually...but also more work.
Old 04-06-18, 07:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
My observations are that if it is complete, good condition (or all about the same condition), and all matching, then you'll do no worse selling it complete than selling individual components.

If it is mixed, or has an illogical assortment of parts, then you'll be better off selling individually.

Also, be wary of relatively rare components. So, for example, a first gen super record (bumpy style) rear derailleur would likely stand on its own, whereas other early SR parts had a longer production history, I think, and may not pick up the same buyers.

Auction vs Buy-it-Now is your choice. Buy-it-Now may take longer to sell, but has less risk. Auctions can go either low, or high, but may average in the middle.
Old 04-08-18, 02:54 PM
Silver Steve

Thanks for the advice.
It's a DA 9000 mini group so it sounds like selling as a whole is the way to go.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
My observations are that if it is complete, good condition (or all about the same condition), and all matching, then you'll do no worse selling it complete than selling individual components.

If it is mixed, or has an illogical assortment of parts, then you'll be better off selling individually.

Also, be wary of relatively rare components. So, for example, a first gen super record (bumpy style) rear derailleur would likely stand on its own, whereas other early SR parts had a longer production history, I think, and may not pick up the same buyers.

Auction vs Buy-it-Now is your choice. Buy-it-Now may take longer to sell, but has less risk. Auctions can go either low, or high, but may average in the middle.
Old 04-08-18, 03:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver Steve
Thanks for the advice.
It's a DA 9000 mini group so it sounds like selling as a whole is the way to go.
I assume that means 2 shifters & 2 derailleurs.

Maybe Chain/Cassette/Brake Calipers/Crankset.

Probably not wheels, bars, seatpost, stem, pedals, etc.

I assume the 9000 is one generation back, 11s. I don't buy a lot of Dura Ace, but that should still bring reasonably competitive prices.

That could go either way. I see quite a few mini-groups listed, and they seem to do reasonably well. Personally, I tend to buy more Campagnolo, and tend to find prices coming pretty close either way. Sometimes I think I get a better deal buying individual components (sometimes buying an entire groupset as individual parts from the same seller).

If you sell as a group, make sure the first photo shows everything, then do individual photos of each part, as well as listing every part in the description.

If you sell individually, put a note in your add "See other listings for more of the groupset".
Old 04-09-18, 08:46 AM
Silver Steve

The group set is 1 generation back (current is 9100)
It has the shifters, derailleurs, and brakes. I think I'll go the selling as a whole route. Thanks for the tips on the photos.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I assume that means 2 shifters & 2 derailleurs.

Maybe Chain/Cassette/Brake Calipers/Crankset.

Probably not wheels, bars, seatpost, stem, pedals, etc.

I assume the 9000 is one generation back, 11s. I don't buy a lot of Dura Ace, but that should still bring reasonably competitive prices.

That could go either way. I see quite a few mini-groups listed, and they seem to do reasonably well. Personally, I tend to buy more Campagnolo, and tend to find prices coming pretty close either way. Sometimes I think I get a better deal buying individual components (sometimes buying an entire groupset as individual parts from the same seller).

If you sell as a group, make sure the first photo shows everything, then do individual photos of each part, as well as listing every part in the description.

If you sell individually, put a note in your add "See other listings for more of the groupset".
Old 04-10-18, 11:42 AM
Metis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you didn't already list this, I'd definitely do it together because shipping on each individual component will probably eat into your profits.
Old 04-10-18, 02:01 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I'd break it up:
* Shifters
* Derailleurs
* Brakes

I think you're more likely to sell the parts like that than in a group.