Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stumped! Bike Lock for 2 Pylons

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 06:45 PM
BikeIndiana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got a new tiny studio apartment. Can't fit the bike inside. Only have two 4 foot pylons outside.

Is there any locking mechanism(s) or methods where I could lock my bike to these without a thief lifting it over?

Or am I looking at a regular bike lock and a bike alarm to discourage them?

This is not a super expensive bike.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry I can't upload photo. It's because I am new here. I can share the URL with you privately if needed.
Old 07-09-23, 06:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Welcome! How about removing the wheels? Can you fit it inside then? Just a thought.
Old 07-09-23, 06:51 PM
BikeIndiana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no quick release on the wheels. Low end bike. Would be a huge hassle to remove wheels. Couldn't they still steal the frame if I took off the wheels? Thanks.
Old 07-09-23, 06:53 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Not really, unless you can drill a hole in the pylon or screw in a big eye bolt.
Have you considered something like one of these?

Taeeryinc.com Bike Wall Mount Bike Storage Rack 48.99

Amazon.com: "Bike Nook Vertical Bike Stand & Rack - Freestanding, Upright Floor Stand for Indoor Bike Storage - Garages & Apartment" : Sports & OutdoorsHGWR?

tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80401840125239&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid =pla-4584001418524057&psc=

Last edited by MikeWMass; 07-09-23 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-09-23, 06:59 PM
BikeIndiana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea, but the lease is super, super strict. ZERO holes allowed in the walls. Very tiny apartment.

Unfortunately not allowed to drill into the pylon.

Maybe a lock and a motion alarm to at least be a pain to would be thieves. Fortunately the bike isn't worth much so it might discourage them.

Just figured someone else might have this issue of not having a tall tree or tall post to lock to.
Old 07-09-23, 07:07 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Is there a streetlight or signpost nearby?
Friend that would let you lock it to their car?

You could also consider these:
Amazon.com : Axle Release Classic Quick Release Adapter-3/8-Inch x 26T axle : Bike Brake Mounts And Adapters : Sports & Outdoors

If you can take the wheels off, you might be able to fit the bike in your apt. (under the bed?)
You don's say where you are but if you are in a big city your bike will be gone if not securely locked to something immovable (and maybe even then).
Inside is really the only way to be sure.
Could you keep it in the bathtub or shower stall and take it out as necessary?
Old 07-09-23, 08:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Your bike will be stolen if locked to a 4 foot post. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a good bike or not. Opportunist thieves don't care.

The only thing I can think of other than really trying something creative for getting it into your apartment: Somehow make several tight wraps around the post with a cable or chain, and also tightly to the bike so it can't possibly be loosened in any way. If it's wrapped enough times around the post, and tight enough, it might be difficult to lift off. It would have to be very tight, several wraps, I would imagine.

But I'd bet it will be stolen.
Old 07-09-23, 08:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'll throw this one out there for discussion. It's a screw-in ground anchor. You screw it into the ground. It would be hard to unscrew while the bike is locked to it. If you screw it in, just a bit below ground level, then you can cover it with some leaves or dirt and it would probably never be noticed.

I've thought about this because my kids are both college-age, and it's often hard to find a place to lock a bike around the cheap student rental houses, but also a hassle to carry the bike inside all the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-1...RG-A/202703690
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-09-23, 08:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeIndiana
Got a new tiny studio apartment. Can't fit the bike inside. Only have two 4 foot pylons outside.

Is there any locking mechanism(s) or methods where I could lock my bike to these without a thief lifting it over?

Or am I looking at a regular bike lock and a bike alarm to discourage them?

This is not a super expensive bike.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry I can't upload photo. It's because I am new here. I can share the URL with you privately if needed.
It's a pretty simple physics problem. There is nothing stopping the thieves lifting the bicycle 4 ft up and stealing..... except the usual thing that stops people from lifting things- gravity. So chain the bike to a pylon AND a 100 pound iron weight.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-09-23, 08:55 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeIndiana
Low end bike.
Then it'll be even easier for you to deface it and make it look unwanted.

The obvious one is quick release for the saddle.
Add a dilapitated front basket. You'll never use it.
Random spray paint.
80 grit sandpaper.
Kids' stickers.
Colored drinking straws on the spokes.

Do whatever it takes to make it ugly yet still 100% functional.

And if you do care about how your "Low end bike" looks and what people will say about you, my opinion is to start looking for a new place to live.
Old 07-10-23, 02:11 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Can you change the bike for a folding one and bring that in?
Is there any kind of communal area like a bin shed or drying area or even a stairwell you'd be allowed to park it in?
If you leave it outside in any capacity long term then it risks being stolen or damaged.
Old 07-10-23, 04:51 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Back in undergrad, I lived in a house where my space was only my 10'x12' bedroom and there was no place outside to lock up my bikes, so they lived in the room with me. Not one, but two bicycles. My road bike was on one side of my bed and my cyclocross bike was by the door, but I had to really squeeze to get out the door if the CX bike was left in the room. Spare wheels were under my desk, along with tools. My backpack and camera bag (photojournalist) slept on the bed with me. I was in college and racing at the time, so cycling was a huge part of my life. If your space is big enough for you to stretch out to lay down, and you want to keep your bicycle, you'll find a way.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 07-10-23, 05:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Where there's a will, there is a way. No one can see your apartment or the surrounding street/road funiture view. I've lived in some small, and I do mean small spaces and there was ALWAYS room for a bike. Focus on where you CAN store your bike as opposed to all the places you can't. Or as my grandpa used to say "Figger it out. That way you'll be better at solving the next problem."
Old 07-10-23, 06:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I've squeezed bikes into pretty small spaces indoors. In one apartment one lived in the shower. Was it a pain to move it all the time? Yes. The bike didn't get stolen though. Eventually we decided we had other space for it. Usually you can find a little floor space if you really want to bring it in. How important is having the bike to you. If it is important to you, you find a save spot outside or more likely will make space for it inside.

Folding bikes can take up very little space if that is an option.

The ground anchor mentioned in an earlier post might be an option. If googling for options I think they are also called hurricane anchors. How well they hold may depend on the soil, but the ones I put in to anchor my shed are crazy solid they'd be really hard for a theif to get out with a bike locked to them. An angle grinder would cut them off easily, but it would also cut pretty much any lock so It really wouldn't necessarily be an especially weak link. Some may have a weaker or stronger loop or eye on the top. Keep that in mind when choosing. Also place where it isn't a tripping hazard.
Old 07-10-23, 07:12 AM
BikeIndiana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the ideas. You guys are awesome!

Could the bike be brought inside? Yes, but any time I'd want to use that area where it is, I'd have to move it. Move it from the kitchen to cook or from in front of the futon to get in and out or watch tv, from behind the futon to get to my bed or desk. It would be constant moving of the bike to get around this super tiny studio apartment. So yes, there is room for the bike but a giant hassle every day. And as I mentioned, nothing can hang on the walls. I liked the vertical stand, but the handlebars would be the issue. Maybe if there was a quick release on the neck so they could quickly be turned to be parallel with the frame so it could sit flush with the wall.

I like the anchor idea between the posts and had thought of it. I'd need permission from the owner and I don't think they would want to call 811 to have them come mark gas and and electric lines. I can ask her.

Probably the most viable route is to wrap a long lock several times tightly around one or more plyons making it a giant pain to lift AND a bike motion alarm that would go off for a while (until they took it off and smashed it.)

If I think of any other ideas I will report back for sure. Maybe I'll buy a pitbull and leash him to the pylon!
Old 07-10-23, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Get a couple 2 x 4's and lean against the walls. Add some bike hooks and you can now put your bike up off the floor where it's easier to get around in your apartment. With a little thinking and pondering you can make it more stable and as complicated as you wish.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-10-23 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-10-23, 08:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Maybe clamp something to the pylon with some kind of tamper resistant hardware or metal strapping? Is it concrete or a metal post?
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-10-23, 08:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Have you thought of asking the landlord/superintendent if there is a storage shed/room somewhere on the property where you could keep the bike?

Dan
Old 07-10-23, 08:56 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
There is a saying that "locks are to keep honest people honest". Any bike kept outside is subject to theft. An angle grinder, bolt cutter, or other tools will defeat most things. Someone once tried to break into my shed, locked by a very large master lock. Their bolt cutter defeated it, the only thing that stopped them was my neighbor's dog started barking causing my neighbor to notice them, she let out a scream and they took off. They dropped and left the bolt cutter behind. I now own a heavy duty bolt cutter, will only be used if I lose a key to one of my own locks. If you can find the studs, maybe hang the bike from the ceiling with an eye bolt and tie downs. Just have to spackle over the holes when you vacate the apt.
Old 07-10-23, 09:18 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I keep my bike in a walk-in closet. If it can fit there, it can fit in a studio apartment.
Old 07-10-23, 09:52 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Around here in the Bay Area, if they can't steal the whole bike, they will steal parts from it.

And once you pay for parts and shop time to reassemble, it's the same price as a cheap bike.

Barry
Old 07-10-23, 10:34 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'll throw this one out there for discussion. It's a screw-in ground anchor. You screw it into the ground. It would be hard to unscrew while the bike is locked to it. If you screw it in, just a bit below ground level, then you can cover it with some leaves or dirt and it would probably never be noticed.

I've thought about this because my kids are both college-age, and it's often hard to find a place to lock a bike around the cheap student rental houses, but also a hassle to carry the bike inside all the time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-1...RG-A/202703690
Or maybe two or three of them tightly chained together- it would be very difficult to twist them out of the ground if they prevented each other from twisting
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Maybe clamp something to the pylon with some kind of tamper resistant hardware or metal strapping? Is it concrete or a metal post?
I had a similar (same?) idea. Kind of riffing on the idea of tightly wrapping chains or cable around the post that couldn't be slipped off, If it were me, I might go to a welding or metal fabrication shop and have a strap or collar made that would fit very tightly when locked on the post, with a way to lock the bike to it. Such a collar, if tight, would be impossible to slip off the post I think. Especially if installed near the base.

But like more than one of us has said, every lock is defeatable. But maybe if the bike is ugly enough it would only be vandalized, not stolen,

As for the alarm- that wouldn't even cross my mind. Wouldn't it cause regular obnoxious false alarms, especially when the kids start having fun with it at night. So you want to be responsible for that?

Last edited by Camilo; 07-10-23 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 11:08 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
IMO, if the bike is valuable to you (even if it wasn't expensive), it's worthwhile to deal with it inside your tiny apartment. If it is a functional bike, and locked up outside, it will get stolen or stripped.
Old 07-10-23, 12:02 PM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A lot of great input given so far ... I was thinking if the bike is not of much value and the main threat is opportunistic grab and go thieves in your area maybe just a very conspicuous lock on a wheel would work.
I live in the south bend Indiana area btw!

Last edited by kap 7; 07-10-23 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 12:04 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

As for the alarm- that wouldn't even cross my mind. Wouldn't it cause regular obnoxious false alarms, especially when the kids start having fun with it at night. So you want to be responsible for that?
I have a lot of questions about the motion sensing alarm. I've never heard of this, but after a quick internet search I see what the OP is talking about. They look like cheap plastic sensors that get zip tied or sticky-taped to the frame. I guess I could see how this might be useful on a bike that is stored in a garage where no one can get near it, but I don't see how it would work for a bike locked up on the street that will be bumped into, moved around by wind, etc. To avoid constant false alarms the sensitivity would have to be dialed way down which means a thief can probably cut the lock and be on the bike before it starts going off. There doesn't appear to be anything preventing a thief from just pulling the whole thing off the bike and tossing it aside, or smashing it with a hammer a few times to make it stop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.