Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Already having confrontations, just got my new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Already having confrontations, just got my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 10:18 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zazenzach
ive never been yelled at or anything like that, and i commute everywhere every day

do you live in a redneck city or something?
No,,, No,,,, I live in redneck land and Red necks don't act that bad.
Wow!!! SO strange..... Maybe everyone on your route is on lithium or something?
Old 04-05-11, 10:58 PM
Dxisocos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe cause your bike is better than theirs or anything they own, so they are jealous.
Old 04-06-11, 04:14 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is Flatland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2LTVhqHAdo

Done in empty parking lots
Old 04-06-11, 04:30 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me follow this. you are riding down the road and a girl yells at you. You turn back around and she reaches down, finds a tennis racket, throws it at you. It misses and hits a car. See my avatar to the left.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 04-06-11, 05:44 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, I've been treated like a freaking criminal at a lynching around here.

The other day I was riding to work all the way to the right lane near the sidewalk, moderate speed minding my own business and this woman driver rides past me yelling STUPID ****ING IDIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the top of her lungs.

What the hell?

Old 04-06-11, 05:47 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never heard of Fladland either, I just figured you were riding a Bent!!!
Old 04-06-11, 06:12 AM
GrotonPaul

Bikes: Serotta Fierte Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This dead end road wasn't someone's driveway was it? Typically empty parking lots are private property, could it be owners worried about getting sued if you bust your head open? I would change my riding locales.
Old 04-06-11, 08:33 AM
Wkend_Warrior

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Specialized Allez Epic, Giant RiconSE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 2 pages but OP still haven't disclose where he rides his bike.....mummmm.
Old 04-06-11, 09:20 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I had a friend that I knew for a couple of years out in Louisville, one day walking down the street there were some kids with skate boards and those bikes messing around and my friend walks up to one of the kids and asks him if he can try his bike. I was like huh? He gets on the bike and completely put on a show. I was laughing my arse off never knowing this guy could do stuff like that, the kids just stood there in shock
Old 04-06-11, 09:37 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28770 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Almost 2 pages but OP still haven't disclose where he rides his bike.....mummmm.
I call B.S. on the post.
Old 04-06-11, 09:44 AM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's threads like these that have me clipping a pocket knife into a jersey pocket when I ride. Great, something else to be neurotic about.
Old 04-06-11, 10:20 AM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I call B.S. on the post.
Me too.

My story isn't BS though...I was riding in the bike lane last night and had a guy left hook me from the other direction. It was intentional. As I nearly hit him he screamed profanities with his finger in the air. I spent only 2 minutes wandering the neighborhood before I found the punk parked in a drive-way. For those of you living in Colorado, the Colorado State Patrol road rage hot line is *277 (aka *CSP).
Old 04-06-11, 10:50 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The thing about tennis racquets, is that most people only have one, so once you avoid that first toss, they are unarmed and easily beaten down.

This applies also to bowling balls and lunchpails.

Now stop being afraid of girls and go ride your bike.
Old 04-06-11, 11:17 AM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radial1999
I used to always have people yell at me when I'd ride flatland, as cool as everyone seemed to think flatland was. 99% of people that said anything to me were people who would throw something at me from a car and drive off, tell me they were calling the cops because I shouldn't be riding a bike in an empty parking lot, or that sort of thing.
Just curious, while you were doing your flatland stunts in parking lots and dead end streets, did you have a CD boom box on the sidewalk playing loud hip hop music? Alternately, during these incidents, are you wearing some sort of provocative costume, an Aryan Brotherhood t-shirt, etc. ?

Last edited by w1gfh; 04-06-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 11:22 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP must be butt ugly to make people so angry. Are you a direct descendant of Quasimodo or Joseph Merrick? Were you pieced together in a lab?
Old 04-06-11, 11:25 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miwoodar
Me too.

My story isn't BS though...I was riding in the bike lane last night and had a guy left hook me from the other direction. It was intentional. As I nearly hit him he screamed profanities with his finger in the air. I spent only 2 minutes wandering the neighborhood before I found the punk parked in a drive-way. For those of you living in Colorado, the Colorado State Patrol road rage hot line is *277 (aka *CSP).
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping the tracked him down part means you reported his sorry ass and I hope the cops actually do something about it. My faith in the CSP was somewhat shaken today. I saw a highway patrol car in town (FC) on my way to work and he was driving in and out of the bike lane (6 inches over the line and more at times) and nearly clipped a commuter. Had to be less than a foot away. I saw a pretty pissed looked on the commuter's face and I tried to get close enough to catch a plate number but he was too far ahead in traffic and turned.
Old 04-06-11, 11:40 AM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CSP will show up to the driver's house to say hello if the driver gets reported 3x. Better than nothing. Also, if one of these yahoos injures a cyclist and they have road rage reports on their file, it could help said cyclist in court.

Another note...apparently sometimes they will pass you to a local jurisdiction to make the report. If this happens, you can request to report the driver to both databases.
Old 04-06-11, 11:49 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they were calling the cops because I shouldn't be riding a bike in an empty parking lot.
It's called "road cycling", not "parking lot cycling".
Old 04-06-11, 05:19 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Northeast Ohio. And NOT East Cleveland where I'd just assume I'm lucky to only have a tennis racket thrown at me.
Old 04-06-11, 05:22 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I call B.S. on the post.
Fair enough. I've had teenagers throw coins at me from their car, or yell at me, or lay on their horn as they pass me to scare me. But this was absurd. As I rode past the first time, the girl yelled about 10 different names at me, and her friend told her to shut up and stop being stupid. She was with 2 girls her age and a guy her age, and was probably trying to act cool and impress them. I did stupid stuff at that age, but I never tried to blatantly hurt someone like that.

You can call it bs, it is that absurd, and the fact that it sounds too crazy to be true makes me feel better for being so angry about it still today.
Old 04-06-11, 05:28 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w1gfh
Just curious, while you were doing your flatland stunts in parking lots and dead end streets, did you have a CD boom box on the sidewalk playing loud hip hop music? Alternately, during these incidents, are you wearing some sort of provocative costume, an Aryan Brotherhood t-shirt, etc. ?
I did what most decent riders do. I dressed normal (not like a thug with huge baggy clothes like many flatland riders do these days), found the most empty/out-of-everyones'-way lot or tennis court I could find, and practiced. I'd wear headphones and just relax and ride and have fun. And most times people approached me, it wasn't to tell me they thought what I was doing was cool, or to ask if I ever competed in the X-Games (I had both of those happen a few times). It was to tell me that I shouldn't be riding a bike in a parking lot or tennis court even though it was abandoned, or it was to throw something at me and speed away. It sucks but I've just come to realize that no matter what you do, if you're around many other people, there will usually be some that will try to take time out of their day to bother you. Just think how often cars go past you when you're cycling on the road, and they purposely drive a few inches from you just to teach you a lesson about how drivers don't like the road being taken up by bikers. I'm feeling very negative still today so please forgive me for the overwhelming pessimism in this post. :/
Old 04-06-11, 05:34 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
It's called "road cycling", not "parking lot cycling".
Another true story: I used to ride in a mall parking lot, where a large empty section was typically empty unless it was being used by a group that would stop there to race their rc cars, or for driving instructors to have their students practice parking and driving through cones.
One day I was there, and a senior citizen was slowly doing laps around this huge, empty section on a comfort/hybrid bike (I was riding flatland). Mall security told me I had to leave because I wasn't shopping. I asked what about the old person riding laps, and was told not to worry about her becuase she wasn't bothering anyone.
The amount of stupid that has come my way as a result of trying to enjoy different types of bike riding is amazing. I could write a big angry book about it full of stories where people act so dumb/unreasonable it sounds made up.
Old 04-06-11, 06:05 PM
Mr. Embrey

Bikes: Poseidon X Ambition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zazenzach
ive never been yelled at or anything like that, and i commute everywhere every day

do you live in a redneck city or something?
Bingo! They tend to be intimidated by people wearing helmets and tight pants.
Old 04-06-11, 06:16 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did what most decent riders do. I dressed normal (not like a thug with huge baggy clothes like many flatland riders do these days), found the most empty/out-of-everyones'-way lot or tennis court I could find, and practiced. I'd wear headphones and just relax and ride and have fun. And most times people approached me, it wasn't to tell me they thought what I was doing was cool, or to ask if I ever competed in the X-Games (I had both of those happen a few times). It was to tell me that I shouldn't be riding a bike in a parking lot or tennis court even though it was abandoned, or it was to throw something at me and speed away. It sucks but I've just come to realize that no matter what you do, if you're around many other people, there will usually be some that will try to take time out of their day to bother you. Just think how often cars go past you when you're cycling on the road, and they purposely drive a few inches from you just to teach you a lesson about how drivers don't like the road being taken up by bikers. I'm feeling very negative still today so please forgive me for the overwhelming pessimism in this post. :/
Back when I was an avid tennis player my trainer would have had your ass for riding a bike on the tennis court.
Old 04-06-11, 06:33 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkelley23
Back when I was an avid tennis player my trainer would have had your ass for riding a bike on the tennis court.
Like I said, I only road in abandoned ones with no nets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.